Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The challenge of relying on the offschedule

January 22, 2021 08:27AM
McVay bemoans his past success and has found fault with his big endorsement which has resulted in Goff being overpaid for what McVay is now trying to inject into his offense. It leaves me a little critical of his judgement and his skills as a play-caller and getting the most from his players. Right now he has done more for his assistance and friends careers than he has done for his QB, WR, TE and RBs.

McVay did not help improve the OL and did not draft a QB that may have been transformational to this team in the near future. Certainly this new push for competition is a little late given he is not wanting competition as much as he wants something added to the offense that he should have been aware was needed period. Many fans are aware of what the right mix @ QB arm, mobility and savy can do to change the trajectory of the offense.

McVay is overconfident while he tries to project humility. He benefitted from being allowed to call plays but has had to change OCs yearly and yes they got HC positions where they now call plays but Goffs trajectory has reflected their strength and all you have to do is look at the best and see that the decline in order has mirrored Goff's decline.

So McVay wants to have his Coordinator fix Goff and yet his offense has changed so that has impacted the results plain and simple. Jared is not going to be a game changer with his feet. Instincts are not there for him to excell. He has to be with his arm or you are wasting his talent.

McVa's job requires him to coach and play to his player's strengths but with Goff he has not done that. I would also suggest he has similarly struggled to get the most from his WR and TE because he is doing the exact opposite. He has constricted the offense to do everything quickly and close to the LOS. In that environment you really expose the need for a more mobile and elusive QB which Jared is simply not. Love him as much as I do when he is just dealing and cutting it loose I have no appreciation on how he is being used by McVay 2020.

McVay is very reactionary but is slow to change course within a game and that is a weakness. His feeling that he needs to be in the QBs ear almost up to the snap also undermines the QB and their ability to settle in and feel the game. I cannot deny McVays ability to lead a team and corral personalities but the results are telling as well. You have to also build a team.

Several declines offensively cannot all be tied to Jared who is not being asked to be Jared but instead some sorta robo QB that must be perfect all the time. You could see from our first game vs Dallas that the offense was simply a shell of what it was 3 yrs ago. Jared looked better than Dak in that game but nothing exciting. Jared struggled when run game and short passes were shut down. Those short passes were to primary WR targets so the notion that Jared was not looking to throw deep made more since. If your primary and best WRs are shallow you look shallow. The WRs were fired up with the RAC in those early games but that is not the best use of a WR catching balls within plus or minus 3 yds of the LOS. The hits are unavoidable and they take a toll thru the season.

If we are relying on offschedule we are trying to compensate for what is wrong in the offense not what is right. That is where I question. Are we headed in the right direction or are we trying to distract from our current failures? This year a Deshawn Watson would have thrived in our offense but we had a chance to draft him and we have determined that is not what we needed. Now we want what we don't and can't have.

Los Angeles Rams

Rap on.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

If the new running QB evolution is real, then how to handle QBs changes

RockRam288January 22, 2021 02:56AM

Re: If the new running QB evolution is real, then how to handle QBs changes

Rams43111January 22, 2021 06:59AM

A QB that can Run vs. a QB that Runs??...

LoboRam156January 22, 2021 07:19AM

The challenge of relying on the offschedule

BumRap129January 22, 2021 08:27AM

Re: The challenge of relying on the offschedule

Rampage2K-164January 22, 2021 12:26PM

Rams4394January 22, 2021 03:15PM

Rampage2K-249January 22, 2021 05:08PM

There is only one running QB I know of

Speed_Kills147January 22, 2021 03:22PM

If the new running QB evolution is real: Get over it Rock