Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts December 30, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley, QB John Wolford and Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury

December 30, 2020 05:44PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts
December 30, 2020
Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley, QB John Wolford and Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury

Head Coach Sean McVay

(On what went into the decision today to only have the walk-thru and not practice)
"It being Week 17. That's really it. This typically is representative of – we'll get some extra work in, in terms of the timing and rhythm, but you look at overall for our team, the above-the-neck emphasis was what we thought was the important thing. You still get a lot of reps, a lot of things that are reflective of what we've done each of the last handful of years. Then Thursday and Friday, we'll be able to get the physical work in. It's not like that (Qcool smiley John (Wolford) or in some of these other guys that are being asked to step up, have not been getting physical reps throughout the course of the season. So, that was what went into that decision."

(On updates on what is going on with WR Cooper Kupp)
"We placed him on the COVID IR. That's really all I can say about that. His status for the game, he's probably not likely to be available for us."

(On if anyone was unable to practice or will anyone's status change due to the COVID protocols)
"No. Well, that will be to be determined, I guess I should say. There's so many different things that you have to work through with the contact trace, things like that. A lot of that stuff that's going on behind the scenes is something that I'll be able to update you guys. I'll be better equipped to update you tomorrow."

(On if there was nothing new on the injury report today)
"Correct."

(On ILB Micah Kiser activating to the active roster)
"Yeah, it was kind of a semantics thing if you left them off of it. He's a guy that we obviously have intentions for a real bright future with us. I don't anticipate him being ready to go this week. It was more semantics than anything else, so that you didn't have to go through some things if you didn't activate him at this point, being the last week of the regular season."

(On if anyone tested positive today for COVID)
" I'm not able to say that kind of stuff."

(On understanding that he can't name players but if someone did test positive, if he was able to say)
"I cannot say that. You'll find out tomorrow. This COVID thing is killing me. I can't say. I really can't. Like I can't tell you about this kind of stuff, and it's not because I want to withhold information from a man, you know that man, I'll help you out. It's really just a HIPA and all those kinds of things. I'm kind of just staying within my area here."

(On if a player or staff member tested positive today, if he couldn't name them)
"Yes. The answer's yes."

(On how not having WR Cooper Kupp could impact the receiving corps and the offense)
"Yeah, I mean, anytime that you're missing a player of his caliber, that's tough. The good news is, we've got a lot of guys that are still available that have played in really significant games and been big*time factors, whether it be in the pass game, competing without the ball from our skill players. We've got a group of receivers. (WR) Robert Woods has been outstanding in a variety of roles. (WR) Josh Reynolds has played, started in a Super Bowl, in a Conference Championship, made huge plays as has (TE) Gerald Everett, (TE) Tyler Higbee. (TE) Johnny Mundt's been in meaningful games. You look at the emergence of what (WR) Van (Jefferson)'s done. Really, Van would be on the field a lot more if it wasn't for the confidence in our top-three guys. So, it's really tough, but I think what we feel good about is the ability for those guys to have prepared for their opportunity and potentially be ready to roll and get some more chances this weekend."

(On what Wolford's day was like today)
"I thought he did a nice job – great communication, great command of what we're trying to get done. Great understanding and ownership of the initial parts of the game plan. I think that's really important, because it starts with that quarterback then being able to echo and articulate it in the huddle with the other 10 guys and he did a really nice job and it's a good start to the week, but that's been consistent with John's rhythm and routine. That's the one thing is, the best part about the opportunity that he has this week is, you tell him you don't change anything that you've done, you're just going to get more opportunities on the practice field. But his process with what he's established, in terms of getting himself ready to go, he's as disciplined as a guy as I've been around in terms of having that rhythm, that process, that routine that's in alignment with getting yourself ready to go and today was a reflection of the start of that for him this week, which has been how he's done every week."

(On if OL Andrew Whitworth is on track to play this week)
"I don't think so. I would say, he did a good job getting out there today, moved around, looked good. But I would say that'd be doubtful at this point, but you don't want to say there's no chance."

(On updates with RB Cam Akers)
"(Rcool smiley Cam Akers, gave him another rest day. I mean, this guy is making great progress and we'll still see, his status is uncertain. I mean, you guys saw what I did a couple of weeks ago in the Jets game. I wouldn't bet against this kid."

(On what he likes about RB Xavier Jones and how he fits into the offense)
"I think he can do a nice job. You guys saw in some of the scrimmage settings, he did a really good job. I think he levels runs off, he's got great contact balance and he's got some nuances to his game as well, where it's not exclusive to just as a runner. He can make plays in both phases and I think he's kind of got that slash-running style that is a good fit for some of the things that we can activate. He did a nice job today. He's done a nice job really all year and he is a guy that if called on, we would have confidence to contribute and do some good things for us on Sunday."

(On how he balances not shrinking the offense too much, but giving Wolford enough to go out there and perform)
"Yeah, I think that's something that we're working through right now, but John's not limited in anything. He can activate all phases of our offense and we're excited about what he's going to do for us."

(On how much his belief in Wolford has to do with the fact that he reminds him of when he was a quarterback)
"Listen, I'm coaching for a reason. I think in terms of just the competitor, the focus, the concentration, the way he goes about his business, that's what you like as a coach. But I'm not as talented as these guys. That's why I'm coaching."

(On being confident in Wolford)
"Oh yeah. I'm confident in John Wolford. I'm confident in John, I'm also confident in the other 10 players around him and understanding what guys need to do to step up. We've got to go do it and we've got to go do it collectively and together. But man, what a great opportunity to respond and let's go lay the chips out there and see what the heck happens."

(On with the limited personnel the tight ends might be more involved)
"Yeah, that's possible. I think we'll have to see how we want to put together the entire game plan in all the different phases, but there's a possibility there. Kind of like I said, when Cooper went out a couple years ago you saw Robert Woods be able to have some position flex, Josh Reynolds can play either spot and then, the confidence in Van Jefferson is a good thing. You're never going to replace a player of Cooper's caliber, but we do have capable guys to be able to step in and move around accordingly. That might mean tight ends getting some more work, but it also might mean you see more of Van Jefferson and some of those things.”

(On how he may utilize Wolford’s skill set in the offense on Sunday)
“I think John has a good skill set. I think you always want to make sure that you have some flexibility to what these guys do, but you don't want to get too far away from what you've done, especially being considerate of the other 10 players around him. We'll see how everything comes together. I do think John's got a skill set that will be fun to watch him execute our offense and how things come to life differently. Each guy has a creativity to his game, but I think he’ll do a nice job kind of distributing and making good decisions. We'll see exactly what that looks like on Sunday.”

(On why he has had success throughout his career against Arizona)
“I think this is a really good football team. I think (Cardinals Head Coach) Kliff (Kingsbury) has done an excellent job over the last couple of years. You can see (Cardinals Defensive Coordinator) Coach (Van) Joseph does a great job with the defense and they're playing really well right now. They did a great job against Philly and the Giants. The Niners are a tough team and they had a good battle it was back-and-forth, comes down to a one possession game. We certainly know what kind of team the Niners are capable of being. So we know that we're going to have to be at our best (against Arizona). They've got great players and they're very well coached. It is a different outfit but every single year is different. Every game is different, but you know what you got to be able to do and that's going to be being at our best this week to be able to get our 10th win and try to punch our ticket. They're trying for the same thing, so it's a big-time game.”

(On if he will review how Wolford calls the plays to ensure it is how it needs to be called in the huddle on Sunday)
“I think that's always a big part of it. He's really good about getting that deliberate practice, even if he's not the one saying it in the huddle. When Jared has been available, he's kind of taken those reps off and saying it to himself. He's really able to visualize things, he's got a great way about himself in terms of just his presence in the huddle. I thought he did a really nice job. You'll definitely spend some extra time with him, but that's usually reflective of what you do with Jared on any given week. You spend a little bit of extra time with John, just making sure his comfort level saying some things and just going through that repetition because, like we've talked about, that's always the mother of learning. He's done a good job of stealing reps, even though it might not be the exact one where you're saying it in the huddle. He's making sure that he's getting his reps off to the side with that process and that rhythm that I talked about. I think that's why he's well equipped to step in and do a nice job.”

(On if Wolford’s mobility adds to what the offense could do on Sunday)
“Absolutely. His athleticism is definitely a trait that's helpful and it's not even necessarily, it's more some of the stuff that can come alive outside the framework of a play. Those are things that I think you see different guys do. I think you’ve got to kind of just let the game come to you, operate accordingly and then pick and choose your spots and be decisive. I think that's something that he's always done a nice job of when I've been around him is being decisive, trusting what he's seeing. Whether that's letting things go or whether that's taking off. It'll be something that I'll be interested to see how the game unfolds.”

(On how much input Wolford will have in the creation of a game plan for Sunday)
“You really talk to them, you get a feel for what he's comfortable with and what he's seeing on the film. It's a collaboration with myself, him (Offensive Coordinator) Kevin O'Connell, (Pass Game Coordinator) Shane Waldron and (Assistant Quarterbacks Coach) Liam (Coen). There's a collaboration and John's got a great grasp of what we're trying to get done. He understands some of the things that we potentially want to activate versus the looks. Like you mentioned, it's a collaborative process and what he likes is usually what we like.”

(On his excitement for Wolford’s opportunity on Sunday)
“That's what you love about the opportunity and what a blessing it is to be able to coach in this league is to get a chance to work with guys like this that have performed and really put themselves in a position that if this opportunity arises and presents itself, you want to do everything in your power to help them be successful. I think anybody who's been around John Wolford, this guy, I mean, if you don't like him, then something is probably wrong with you. Guys respect the way that he's gone about his business, what he stands for and what he's about day-in and day-out. I tell the guys all the time, ‘Those who know, know.’ The people in our building, they see what he's doing, he's earned their respect. Now we get an opportunity for him to go play. I think that's it's a collaborative effort of everybody putting your best foot forward and trying to make sure that you help him and support him. I’m looking forward to seeing him lead the way this week.”

(On if he has gone and watched tape of Wolford’s collegiate career)
“Oh yeah, we've seen those. He's got highlights to watch depending upon which one pops up first on the YouTube. I think he's got a good inventory of different things that he's done both collegiately and then professionally in the AAF (Alliance of American Football), where there's a lot of guys that had played in this league. You can kind of still see some similar concepts that you want to activate. Really, it's more about just seeing what he's done and then what that means as far as what we activate. It's to be determined.”

(On when was the last time he played on a scout team during practice)
“My true freshman year at Miami of Ohio, I emulated Josh Cribbs when we played Kent State.”

(On the challenge of being a scout team quarterback and having to emulate different styles of opponents each week)
“I think it is different. The one thing is the cadence control, especially in a year where guys are always on their verbal cadence, just because of the fan situation. Their mannerisms, the different types of things that they activate in their system. John's really done a nice job giving a bunch of different looks and trying to really put the defense in position to be ready week-in and week-out. That identity can shift week to week, but he's really done a nice job. I think specifically when you look within our division, with two out of the three divisional opponents being really good, mobile guys that can beat you with your arm, your legs or their brain, they can beat you in the pocket, out of the pocket. That's why (Cardinals Qcool smiley Kyler (Murray) and (Seahawks Qcool smiley Russell (Wilson) are such good players.”

(On what it says about Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury that three quarterbacks he coached could appear in the NFL playoffs)
“I think Kliff does a good job. I think he's able to identify some of those guys. I can remember even just talking to him a while ago before (Chiefs QB and former Texas Tech Qcool smiley Patrick (Mahomes) had really lit it up with his opportunity in Kansas City, he saw those things coming. I know how hard he and (Cardinals General Manager) Steve (Keim) were working before they truly drafted Kyler (Murray). I just think he’s (Kingsbury) just got a good feel from playing the position for what it looks like and how to develop those guys. It's why Kliff is such a good coach. Obviously, we have a relationship, but I can separate those things and be able to just say, ‘Hey man, you can't help but respect what he's done.’ Even going back to when he was with (Johnny) Manziel in college and some of the success he had going back with Case Keenum. You look at where he's been, and the consistent theme is quarterbacks playing at a high level. There is some flexibility with figuring out, ‘What do they do best and how can I adjust accordingly?’ I think that's what good coaches do. I think that's a real positive reflection on why Kliff is such a good coach.”

(On if he was involved in the decision to sign Wolford when the AAF shut down and what the organization liked when it signed him)
“We had brought him in with a couple other guys that had NFL experience, or guys that were high priority college free agents. You could just see the way the ball jumps out of his hand. Just the upper and lower half movement. He's a twitchy athlete, I thought he did a really nice job in his workout and you're out there and you're thinking, ‘Man, I don't care what the size says, this looks like it's supposed to in terms of the base, the balance, the body position and being able to speed it up at the top.’ I was at that workout and he definitely earned his spot based on how he performed. He's just continued to stack blocks day-in and day-out. This is the first chance that he’s going to get, and we're excited for John.”

Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley

(On if they watched film on Cardinals backup quarterbacks in the event Cardinals Kyler Murray can’t play)
"Yes. Going into every week, it's not exclusive to if a quarterback has an injury in the prior game. We want to make sure that all of our players are prepared for who could possibly come into the game, what their play style is, especially if they haven't played. So, our guys are aware of all three of the quarterbacks and certainly the styles of (Cardinals Qcool smiley Chris (Streveler) and (Cardinals Qcool smiley Brett (Hundley), because Brett's played and started games in this league as well. It's one of those types of games where it's all hands on deck for both teams. So, we certainly have to prepare accordingly.”

(On revisiting the CB Jalen Ramsey and Cardinals WR DeAndre Hopkins matchup)
“I think against a guy like (Cardinals WR) DeAndre Hopkins, it takes all 11 guys in order to get that job done. (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) certainly is fulfilling his end of the bargain, which he does such a good job of. But it's his other 10 teammates, the pass rush and the pass coverage, working together to play winning pass-defense. Certainly, there's that game within the game, the matchup between those two guys. That's as good as it gets in the league. We're fortunate to be in a division where you get to see a lot of those great matchups. I think defending Arizona, you guys are aware of where they're ranked in yards, we’re the last game of the season and they're in the top-three in the NFL in total yards. Certainly, have our full respect. It's not just DeAndre. They have a very diverse receiving corps, tight end group that I don't think gets enough credit. They have two to three backs that they play that are all heavily involved in the run game and the pass game. You guys are aware of how dangerous (Cardinals Qcool smiley Kyler (Murray) is as a passer, as a runner, as a conductor of that offense. So, it's going to be a team-defensive effort on Sunday.”

(On his impressions from watching film on the last game against Arizona)
“I think a big factor in the game was how well our offense played in that game. They kept that offense off the field. I think that we possessed the ball in a major way in that first half and that's always an advantage if you can keep somebody on the sidelines. So, I think playing that complementary ball that we believe in. I think our offense, (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) was hot that day, our run game was really going in a great direction. And so, I thought we played together in that game. Then, in the second half, when they tried to push the pace and tried to come back, we were able to hold our own, stand our ground. We were able to turn them over in that second half to really seize the momentum and kind of close the game out. So, going against the quarterback like this, against an offense that is as explosive as this one, that it's never over. Even when you have the lead, they can certainly come back on you. So, just a very dangerous overall group.”

(On what he’s seen from QB John Wolford in practice)
“I think that it's very difficult in the NFL to earn respect of your teammates when you have never gone in a game. But (Qcool smiley John Wolford has the full respect of our entire team – coaches, and players because of how he performs on the practice field, in the meetings, in the weight room. I think that that's a rare thing when you can have full respect of your teammates without actually having performed in an NFL game. I think that should tell you about his character and about what he's capable of. I think we're all excited for him and his opportunity this weekend.”

(On facing a healthy Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald)
“He fills a lot of roles for them. You're talking about one of the all-time great receivers. (Cardinals WR) Larry (Fitzgerald) and I are around the same age. You just go all the way back to Pitt and you just know what this guy has meant to every team that he's been a part of. He's been the cornerstone of that franchise, being able to take them to Super Bowls. He's been now like with kind of three eras of quarterbacks, if you kind of go back to the beginning of his run there. The one constant has been Larry Fitzgerald. I think that his professionalism, his performance, you can see when he plays in these games this year, that they play better when he's out there. He's just an igniter, he's a multiplier. He does so many things that would take a lot of time to explain, but his leadership and production, it stands alone in this league at that wide receiver position. I think he's a key component to them in a resurgence here for their team.”

(On the last time he ran a scout team)
“Wow, last time I ran a scout team, that would be 2003. 2003, University of Dayton. That would have been 17 years ago according to my math. I think 2003 University of Dayton, probably would have been my last time doing that. Yeah. And I remember it well. I wasn't nearly as good as John Wolford, I could probably tell you that. I wasn't not anywhere near the player that this guy.”

(On the physical and mental aspects needed as a backup quarterback)
“I think it really starts with your approach. I think that when you know you're probably not going to be playing, I think it says so much about your approach and how you approach the week from a mental-standpoint, knowing that you're responsible for your own game plan because you're one play away from being in the game and having to face whatever defense that you're going to be facing. But, then it's another thing to have command over the game plan of the other team and be able to perform as that quarterback is going to perform. So, you're almost getting two different educations in a week. I think that that can be a big contributing factor to a quarterback's development. I know that helped me when I was a player. I think you can trace back to even a player like (Packers Qcool smiley Aaron Rogers, who had to wait his turn and you can kind of experiment. You can kind of create and you can kind of find yourself in a way because you have some room to operate you have some space to breathe. I think that you can kind of create a way of doing things for yourself. I think that it starts there. Then I think being able to get on the same page with your receivers, that's a big challenge because all the reps usually go to the starter. You have to prepare really hard to get those same throws in and that same timing to stay sharp, because so much of quarterback is rhythm and timing. To be able to have that same timing as a starter requires a lot of extra work. I mean, like a lot of intentional extra work. That's something that is a real strength of John’s.”

(On if being able to master two offenses each week as a backup quarterback is a separating factor)
“I believe so. I believe it. I believe coach, player, I believe that is the full truth. That's why I think you hear us talk about him the way we talk about him.”

(On what determines how a team navigates hurdles)
“I think the foundation of your program, your organization. Three phases of the game. You’ve got to have a way of doing things that you believe in. You’ve got to have structures in place that can withstand the shock of these types of changes. You’ve got to have agility. You hear us use that word, and it's not just a fancy word, but you’ve got to have a way of doing things that can stand the test of time. And sometimes it means in cases like this, man, you're not going to have a couple players. Whether it's COVID, whether it's injuries. You’ve got to have a way to figure things out and put your players in a great position to be successful. I think that it also speaks to the strength of your team to be able to rise up and play even better than you normally play, so that you can make up for some of these losses. But, it's not in any type of grand sort of specific way, it's more of a collective way and it's more of just what you do all the time. I think that that's the consistency that teams that have been really good at any level. They have that they have that way of adapting, adjusting and still competing to that same standard, no matter what the circumstance. That's certainly what we expect to do this week.”

(On anything specific Wolford has done to impact his teammates)
“I think the way when he goes out on the field. I think our guys enjoy watching him. I think in the pro game, you'd be surprised. There's so many good guys out there at one time, it's hard to stand out, but I think that John, when he gets on the field, he's a guy that people enjoy watching because I think he's a competitor. I think you can tell real competitors when they take the field with how they play, how they perform. He's got a spirit of about how he plays, and he's got a playstyle that I think stands out. I think that he's also a professional. He may be a young player, but he doesn't conduct himself like one. He conducts himself like someone that's been doing this a very long time. Someone that expects to be successful and that has been successful, you know? I think that you can't minimize what he's accomplished as a player before coming to the NFL and how he accomplished it. I think that those are all good things for him.”

(On the high expectations on Wolford)
“Yeah, and I don't think that any of our expectations will exceed his own.”

(On if OLB Leonard Floyd is playing better than in Chicago or if it’s influenced by DL Aaron Donald)
“I think that's a really good question that I'm excited to answer. (OLcool smiley Leonard's (Floyd) performance stands on its own. He's playing as well as I've ever seen him play. I think he's become the best version of himself. I think he's fit really well with our team and how we want to play. I think certainly our relationship is an important thing, but I would just say that he's been given that room that so many players don't get in this league to become the best versions of themselves. (DL) Aaron (Donald) certainly contributes to everybody's success, all of our success, my success, (Ccool smiley Jalen Ramsey, all of our success. But Leonard Floyd, his performance this year on the edge, that stands alone. This guy is a Pro-Bowl caliber player in every way. I've coached (Bears OLcool smiley Khalil Mack. I've coached (Broncos OLcool smiley Von Miller. I've coached (Broncos OLcool smiley Bradley Chubb. He's having as complete a season as any edge player in the NFL. That's every edge player. That's not just a couple of them. He's having as complete a season as anybody in the NFL. He's certainly a major factor in our success this year, as a defense where we're ranked and where we're headed as a team. I couldn't be more proud of the guy. The best is yet to come.”

(On how he coaches generating turnovers)
“I think that we all know the takeaway aspect of the game and how much it means and we haven't been able to do that the last two weeks. I think what's more than takeaways is playing good defense, because good defense stands the test of time, more than takeaways do, if that makes sense? If you look at the analytics, the analytics community is kind of down on takeaways, because you can't just depend on them to be successful. I think good defense matters more than taking the ball away, but I also believe that taking the ball away as a part of great defense. You can't be dependent on those in order to win. There are a lot of factors in getting takeaways. 80 percent of the takeaways that happen, happen on pass plays. You have a much better chance of getting them if they throw it. Then it's a lot of times how they throw the ball. Are you in the lead, where you can get the rushing play free? Or is it a 50-50 tight game? Because when they throw the ball and it's a 50-50 tight game, or they have the lead, it's not in the same way that they do when you're ahead. So, I think that all factors into the equation. I think we're always after them. We preach it every single day in every way that you can imagine on their runners, their ball carriers, their throwers, their catchers. Then within our defense is how we want to attack the ball in all those ways. I think that what you never want to do is start hunting takeaways and then not playing good defense as a result. So, we want to be the total package, where we're playing great defense and we're getting the takeaways. We don't want to have one at the expense of another. I think that we need to stay on the track of playing with really good assignment, technique and effort. Then that will lead to good things in the takeaway column.”

QB John Wolford

(On how to pronounce his name)
“John Wol-ford”

(On if he pronounce the L)
“Yeah. I think so, a little bit”

(On what the last three days have been like after finding out he was going to start in Week 17)
“A similar routine to what I normally take in prepping for a game. Obviously, it's a little bit different knowing that you're playing, but my approach the entire year has been to try and prepare like you're the starter, so not much has changed. I got a little jump on the game plan Monday, Tuesday and then rolling into Wednesday.”

(On how he is feeling at this point)
“I feel great. It's been a fun journey for me getting to this point. It's a lot of hard work and I'm confident in the time I've spent that has gotten me here and I'm confident in my capabilities as a player. So, I know I can spin it, I know I can make the throws, then mentally it's about making the right decisions, giving us the best chance to win. So, I'm confident going into this week. I'm glad that the teams rallying around me. It'll be fun.

(On has he been able to get any sleep)
“I feel good. I've been sleeping fine. The first night I found out, I slept a little bit less than normal, but I think sleep is super important. I read a book called “Why We sleep” (By Matthew Walker). You guys should read it if you haven't read it and if you're not avid sleepers. So, I'm always trying to get my sleep.”

(On has he imagined what his first NFL pass would be like since learning he would be starting)
“I mean, visualization is something that I've done before. Like you're hearing a good song on the radio or something and you visualize yourself making a play. I don’t have a specific pass that stands out, but yeah that's happened before, nothing that comes to mind exactly.”

(On what he sees as his biggest challenge)
“Well, there's a lot of challenges that go into a game. I think the most important thing is you can't make the critical errors. I have got to put us in a position to win. We have a good defense and we can rely on them in some aspect. Then I start getting heated up, we can start moving the ball and score some points to win the game. So, every single play is a challenge in the NFL and it's about making the right decision and giving us the best chance to win.”

(On the challenges the Cardinals defense will present)
“They're a talented bunch on defense and across the board. So, being efficient with the ball, getting it out quick and progressing through my reads, those are all things that you see from the best quarterbacks in the league. Those are things that I try to emulate when I play. So, I understand that they have a good rush and I have to make those plays and not take sacks.”

(On the process of managing the scout team and still learning the offense)
“Essentially, on any given week, I'm prepping as if I was going to play like Jared is. So, there's not much extensive work that I put in trying to emulate other quarterbacks. Obviously, when we're playing a running quarterback, they're telling me to scramble a little bit more, those types of things. I think it's great reps for me, we're going against a great defense every day. Just me seeing coverage, seeing how they move. And concepts are concepts. You can only space the field in so many different ways, right? There's a limited amount of space. So, just seeing how defense disperses, the openings, etc. are all good things that I think are going to help me when I play.”

(On if scout team has changed how he sees the defense operate)
“I just think those reps, they accumulate, and they help you to process things faster. I think in the NFL, you see the best guys are doing those things. They’re processing quickly. They understand where the ball should go, when it's cover-six, cover-four, or cover-one. And so that 10th of a second is the difference between success and failure, so I'm grateful for those reps.”

(On does he view this as the biggest moment of his career)
“Up until this point, yeah, I think you could make that argument, a hundred percent. Biggest game. Your first NFL start, it's something you kind of dreamed about your entire life. So, it would be fair to say that, but I'm not going to get too caught up in the moment. I'm not going to be on social media. I'm not going to read all the headlines, whatever it may be. I'm just going to go about doing my job. If I put my head down and work to the best of my ability, at the end of the day whatever happens, I'll be able to sleep at night. I'm just looking forward to the opportunity and have a calm, level-headed mindset going into the game.”

(On are there certain skills he feels he brings as a quarterback that QB Jared Goff doesn’t)
“I think obviously, I'm a little bit more – I don’t want to knock (Qcool smiley Jared's (Goff) athleticism, he's a great athlete, he's an NFL quarterback. – I think I am a little bit faster than him and can make a few more plays with my legs, but he's done a great job for us. He's been amazing to me and I have the utmost respect for how he's treated me. There are some horror stories with some NFL vets and with a new young guy coming in, but he's been great. So, I’m just nothing but grateful for his camaraderie and friendship.”

(On how he would answer the question ‘Who is John Wolford?’)
“I think I'm a pretty normal guy. I came from a good family. I think I have a good sense of the fact that hard work works, I think I understand that, and it has to be intenful. But, it's hard to exactly say. I just think I’m a pretty normal guy who loves football and that's about it.”

(On if this how he imagined his debut)
“I think you just have to be ready for whenever that opportunity comes. Obviously, you never want to wish ill on someone. I hate that Jared got hurt. But this is the scenario that it happened and it's Week 17. Every single week in the NFL is important. This one obviously has playoff implications, so maybe it has a heightened sense. I mean, I'm excited. Listen, it's a huge opportunity for me and I realize that. I'm just going to go about my business, prepare, and try to take advantage of it.”

(On how close he was to working on Wall Street rather than playing in the NFL)
“I had a job lined up my junior year, going into my senior year. That recruiting process starts pretty early. Up until my junior year, I had not played well enough where the NFL seemed like a viable option. So, I was set on doing that. Then I had a great senior season and I talked to some scouts, talked to my family and it made sense. You can only go and play football once. I can go back and work a desk job later on in life. So, I told myself, ‘I'm going to give it a year. I'm going to give everything I got.’ And it's all worked out. I've had some good breaks. I realized there's a lot that goes into it, but I'm just grateful that I'm here and trying to take advantage of this next opportunity,”

(On how his process of being intentional on and off the field has led to this moment and his first start)
“I think there's only so many hours in a day and you have to try and take advantage of the time you do spend on your job. I just want everything I do to be intentful to maximize that efficiency. Whether that's watching film or whether it's lifting, I always want it to be intentful towards being the best quarterback that I can be. So that's kind of been my approach and there's a compounding effect to that if you're doing a good job. I'm always open to the notion that there's a better way to do something. I mean, there's better quarterbacks in the league and so just trying to find out what they're doing, how they're taking care of their bodies mechanically, et cetera, et cetera. I'm always open to that. I'm always open to learning more scheme and I think that's kind of been my approach since I was smart enough to understand how it kind of works.”

(On if he truly believed he would play in the NFL as high schooler)
“I think you probably - I mean, if you look at the percentages, they're unlikely. But as a kid, you have that dream. I always thought I could make it and maybe that was a little outlandish considering the percentages, but I did. And so, there's a lot of things that went into that. A lot of people that have helped me along the way and I'm here now. I've dreamed of this since I was a five-year-old, when I first put on a helmet. So, it's cool to see it kind of come to fruition. Then I have to perform on Sunday, that's my next step.”

(On how Goff has helped him prepare for Sunday)
“He shot me a text saying, ‘Hey, we have your back and anything you need, I got you.’ So, he's been there. He was out at practice today. He's obviously been through this so many times and anything he sees, he's passing onto me. Whether it's a tip in coverage, a way we do something in the huddle, or how he uses the cadence. So, he's been nothing but helpful and I’m appreciative for that.”

(On has he had any communication with former teammate and Broncos WR Kendall Hilton who was in similar circumstances against the Saints)
“I did not reach out to him when he found out he was starting, just because I figured 10,000 people probably did. He has not reached out to me and he probably figured the same thing. I have nothing but respect and admiration for him. We kind of had like a quarterback competition throughout our tenure at Wake and he's been great. He's a great friend and we'll touch base in the offseason.”

(On what it’s like knowing he may not have WR Cooper Kupp, RB Cam Akers and RB Darrell Henderson Jr. for Sundays game)
“Obviously those are great contributors to our team. I was kind of bummed when I found out about ‘Coop’ (WR Cooper Kupp), but that's not his fault and I don't want him to feel bad about it. We're going to have guys that are going to step up and make plays. Jared went down, I have to step up. Coop is out, (WR) Van (Jefferson) has to step up. So, there's a next-man up mentality that we all have and I'm confident in the guys that we have that are going to dress this weekend, that are going to go out and make plays for me. I feel good about it.”

(On if he is aware his LinkedIn profile is still active)
“I do.”

(On why he has a LinkedIn profile)
“I guess when I was a junior in college, I was like, ‘I probably need to make this.’ They actually probably advised us to make it. I probably made it when I was a freshman. I just never figured to deactivate it. If this Sunday goes well maybe, I'll just delete it.”

(On if he sees other players that have NFL players listed in their LinkedIn bio)
“I do not. I do not go on LinkedIn that much anymore. So, I don't have a good answer for you there.”

Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury

(On how he studies Rams QB John Wolford and where he looks)
“I mean, he's got college film and has some of the Alliance (of American) Football league film. So, you got to take it and run with it. Knowing (Rams Head Coach) Sean (McVay), he's going to have things in that play to his strengths and then what he does well and what he's comfortable with. From what I've seen, he can extend plays, very accurate, gets the ball out quick and very smart player. It's going to be a heck of a challenge. I mean, we expect him to a really high level. Player in that offense with Sean calling the plays. So, we're preparing for their best shot.”

(On how he’s coaching his team for this game whether he’s taking it like any other game or if there is more on the line)
“More so this week is we have a lot of improvement that we needed to make from last week’s performance. And our guys understood that. None of us were pleased with how that went, lack of intensity energy, excitement to play with just wasn't there, and that can't happen again. We’ve just talked about making sure we play our style of football and our best game. I mean, as a team you want to build throughout the season, and then ultimately, regardless of whether you're playing on the postseason or not, you want that last game of your best performance. That's what we're striving for.”

(On how he gets his defense ready with a change in Rams personnel)
“Yeah, they're going to do what they do. They still have some young guys that they can rotate through that'll get their opportunity that have flashed and made some big plays for them throughout the season. And Sean, like I said, he does a tremendous job maximizing his personnel, putting those guys in positions to be successful. So, it's not going to change much. This team's beaten us seven times in a row, so there won't be any sort of overlooking what they're capable of, or how many points they can score. I mean, it's a tremendous coaching staff, tremendous roster. We’ll have our hands full.”

(On the matchup between WR DeAndre Hopkins and Rams CB Jalen Ramsey)
“They’re two tremendous competitors, there's no doubt. Then they go back to their Houston, Jacksonville days going head-to-head. They've played a lot of football against each other. As a coach, it's fun to watch two of the best in the league go at it. It'll be another great dog fight between those two. I'm excited to watch it.”

(On what kind of pressure does the availability of WR Cooper Kupp have on an offense)
“Yeah, (Rams WR Cooper) Kupp is, you know, one of the best in the game. I mean, he's so good at finding a soft spot, so good at those rhythm routes. He and (Rams QB Jared) Goff had such great chemistry together and third downs coming to mind. I mean, he has so many big catches on third downs where he's extending the drive. It's hard to replace a guy like that. But like I mentioned earlier, with Sean, he's going to fill the void in different ways, different play calls, whether it's more 12-personnel, or bring in the young wide receiver in from Florida. He'll have a great plan. But a guy like Kupp, his toughness, his savviness, it's definitely hard to replace.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts December 30, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley, QB John Wolford and Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury

Shaky475December 30, 2020 05:44PM

I love Wolford's Responses

stlramz281December 30, 2020 06:57PM

Re: I love Wolford's Responses

Rams43320December 30, 2020 06:59PM

BerendsenRam199December 30, 2020 07:02PM

RAMpant Defense207December 30, 2020 07:13PM

stlramz289December 30, 2020 10:41PM

Ok, I'm getting this guy's jersey...

sstrams162December 31, 2020 05:09AM

You guys are all crazy

waterfield311December 31, 2020 08:37AM

No, not gonna wait..

sstrams187December 31, 2020 09:29AM

I love it

waterfield134December 31, 2020 09:36AM

Re: You guys are all crazy

Rams43375December 31, 2020 09:55AM

Another tasty little item coming from McVay’s presser...

Rams43222December 31, 2020 08:22AM

Re: Another tasty little item coming from McVay’s presser...

BerendsenRam151December 31, 2020 01:13PM

Re: Another tasty little item coming from McVay’s presser...

BerendsenRam156December 31, 2020 01:15PM

or at least

zn165December 31, 2020 03:20PM

Re: or at least

oldschoolramfan131January 01, 2021 05:59PM