Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Should teams play their backup QB more?

December 30, 2020 11:56AM
This is something I have wondered quite often that has reared its head in light of the loss of Goff.

Most teams in the NFL tend to never play their backup QBs unless the starter is injured, even when they are winning or losing by a comfortable margin. New Orleans was a recent example of a team that did, but that had more to do with Taysom Hill having a VERY different skillset than Brees and using him as a changeup to the defense.

But, again using the Saints as an example, when Brees went down this year they already knew what they had because Hill had played substantial minutes. We, on the other hand, have no idea really what we have or how he will respond against starters.

So it begs the question, why do teams not make a bigger emphasis on getting their backup QBs playing time, especially against starters in the regular season? I don't know the stats but you would think that the percentage chance of needing your backup at some point in the regular season is in the 25-40% range. Why not make more effort to get them prepared by giving them snaps, which also has the added benefit of protecting your starter from getting hurt in a blowout or in garbage time?

This smacks to me of being just one of those things that has always been done that way, without coaches really thinking it through. Thoughts?
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Should teams play their backup QB more?

RantoulRam181December 30, 2020 11:56AM

Re: Should teams play their backup QB more?

BerendsenRam85December 30, 2020 12:05PM

I know you cannot compare with NFL but I loved Spurrier as Gators Coach.

Ramgator116December 30, 2020 12:52PM

I think teams run up the score too often and yes backups should play

Rams_8178December 30, 2020 12:56PM