Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - December 23, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley, QB Jared Goff and Seahawks Head Coach Pete Carroll

December 23, 2020 02:37PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts -
December 23, 2020
Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley, QB Jared Goff and Seahawks Head Coach Pete Carroll

Head Coach Sean McVay
(On injury updates)
"There's a good chance for (OLcool smiley Terrell (Lewis) this week. If we were to practice today, (OL) Rob Havenstein is the only one that would have been limited. I already kind of ruled (Rcool smiley Cam (Akers) out for this week with his ankle. Then (DL) Aaron (Donald) would have had a veteran rest day. Other than that, we're in pretty good shape at this point in the season for what we know is a real big game this week."

(On OL Rob Havenstein's situation and how he feels about him for Sunday)
"I feel good. Rob is a war daddy. He pushes through. I mean, when you watch what those offensive linemen go through week-in and week-out, it's what optimizes what's right about those guys, because of the way they grind through things and just the things that they do and then the risks they put their bodies. they put their body in harm's way every single snap for the team. Rob Havenstein has done a great job, he's played at a really high level and I know he'll be ready to go this week."

(On covering the Seahawks receivers this Sunday)
"They do a good job of getting a variety of playmakers involved. Then you look at it since they've gotten (RB Chris) Carson and (RB Carlos) Hyde back, they've really done a nice job of balancing it out where they're making you honor the run and the pass. Obviously (Seahawks Qcool smiley Russell (Wilson) does such a great job of making you defend all five eligibles. So, whether it's (TE Jacob) Hollister, (TE Will) Dissly, when it was (TE Greg) Olsen earlier in the year, but everybody knows what a threat (WR DK) Metcalf and (WR Tyler) Lockett are, but being able to get Carson back in the mix and Hyde has really been a big difference and you can see how well they’ve been playing, really all year, but now you add the fact that they can run the football so efficiently, they can beat you in a variety of ways."

(On how he likes the team's response coming off Sunday)
"I like it. I mean, these guys always respond the right way. They handled today the right way. Whether we had won or whether we lost, it’s about being consistent, being able to put it behind you, learn from it and moving forward. Sometimes those tough losses with the right teams can come at a moment where you can create a sense of urgency that's required and certainly this week is a big game for us."

(On if he addressed openly on how they can make the playoffs)
"Yeah. We talk about those things. Absolutely."

(On the schedule for the remainder of the week and practicing at SoFi Stadium tomorrow)
"Yeah, it is about the wind and really to meet in the tent, as well. So, we're going all virtual and then we'll practice over at SoFi (Stadium). Then what we'll do on Friday, is we'll start a little bit later, let the players and the coaches be with their families, especially with the younger kids and we'll start the day at 11:00 o'clock and we'll really try to accelerate our installs and kind of get the majority of the game plan installed before Friday, just knowing all the different things that go on. That family stuff always comes first and they'll be with them on Friday morning, then they'll come in, we'll wrap up the game planning and then we'll travel on Saturday."

(On why practice was closed today)
"Practice was closed because we were doing you a favor if you saw how windy it was outside."

(On evaluating QB Jared Goff's performance in playoff clinching scenarios)
"I mean, you want to go through all the games? I mean, going back to the first game, when you end up having a chance, I mean, really when you look at it, the third to last game, we knew we had to beat Seattle at their place. I thought we played really well as a team and then you ultimately clinched the division at Tennessee in Week 16 and I thought he played really well. He ended up driving us down the field. He hit (WR) Cooper Kupp on a corner route for a touchdown that ended up clenching the game and a big time throw on third down. Then you look at the next season, he played really well in a lot of big-time games. We were able to clench the division at Detroit, and that was again, another good team win, but I thought he had some really big-time games that got us to that moment. We look at it as in the (2018) season, really starting after we had that two game losing streak, really, when you go from Arizona and you finish up with San Francisco, you've really got to be able to win those games and I thought he played really well in those games. It was reflective of getting us to two seed and earning a bye. So, he's done really well. Last year was a little bit different, because we were kind of behind the eight ball with the way that the season went. He gave us a chance. I thought he did a lot of really good things on the Saturday night game against the 49ers where we just came up short. Then I liked the way that he really finished the last month of the season last year. So, he's played well in those games. He's played in a lot of big-time games and certainly this is a big-time one. Really anytime you get a chance to play a great division opponent like the Seahawks, Coach Carroll and their team, they're always ready to go. They do such a great job in all three phases and we're excited about that opportunity that we have this week."

(On the need for the team to collectively come through on situations and how much that comes down to Goff)
"Well, it is always a team game, but in a lot of instances the quarterback has the ball in his hands and some of those things, are you doing your part and it might work out and then sometimes, if you still do your part, it might not work out. So, that's why I think football is the greatest team sport, because of the amount of times you touch the football, that quarterback spot is instrumental, especially when you're talking about getting a last-minute drive or finding a way to come away with points, whether it's a touchdown or a field goal in those two-minute situations. That's always a reflection of the team, but certainly the quarterback has as much influence as anybody."

(On how much he has reiterated during the week the importance of goals and how everything is still up for grabs)
"We've got great veteran leadership and our guys know what's at stake. We didn't get it done. We make no excuses and we've got to be able to move forward accordingly, but to be in this position is a credit to a lot of the good things that have gone on, but also some of the things where we've hurt ourselves but for us to say, 'Hey, we've got a chance to go to Seattle, get a division win against a great opponent and then worry about what we can potentially accomplish next week.' That's a big-time deal and to be playing relevant games in December is always what you strive for and that's where we're at.

(On the possibility of having a playoff game at home without fans)
“I would say it is definitely different, just the home field advantage in the absence of fans. But for us, it’s the cliché, but it’s true. All we are worried about is the Seattle Seahawks this week, trying to go get our 10th win, and then what’s after that. We do know that if we end up winning, we ensure ourselves a playoff spot and we give ourselves a chance to play in the postseason. Whether we earn an opportunity to play a postseason game, period, at home or away, all those things are to be determined based on how we handle the next couple of weeks. The only thing that we can do is have a great week of preparation and make sure we bounce back the right way against a tough opponent this week.”

(On Former Rams Assistant Coach Jedd Fisch getting hired by The University of Arizona)
“I was really happy for (The University of Arizona Head Coach) Jedd (Fisch). I got a chance to speak with him yesterday. Great coach, great communicator. He'll do an excellent job. He's a relentless worker. He has great attention to detail, really smart and can really bring people together. I think people will like what they see at Arizona and we'll see if they get going a little bit. I’m excited for Coach Fisch.”

(On the differences he sees from the Seahawks from Week 10 to now)
“I think it was kind of what I was talking about at the beginning. You just talk about the influence of adding those running backs. Neither one of those guys were healthy and they are big time additions. I've always thought (Seahawks RB Chris) Carson is one of the more underrated players in this league. I mean he’s physical, tough, he has great play energy and good contact balance. (Seahawks Rcool smiley Carlos Hyde has played really good football for them as well, and he's had a lot of success in this league. So, I think anytime that you're a really good offense, which they clearly are – Russell's done an outstanding job. He's always been a great competitor, a great player, but to be able to have the two ways that he can beat you, whether it be the run or the pass and make you pay in a variety of ways, is something that's always really difficult to defend. I think you're really starting to see that each of the last few weeks, really since we played them. Getting those runners back and how they've run the football has definitely made them even more of a challenge than they already were as a great offense.”

(On why they’ve been so successful when competing against the Seahawks)
“I don't know that it's that. I mean, all the games pretty much come down to the wire. This is a great team. What (Head) Coach (Pete) Carroll has done, the longer that I do this, not that it's been that long, the more appreciation I’ve gained for the consistency at which they operate and what he does as a head coach. You see the identity show up and they always kind of find a way. I just have tremendous respect for him, but I don't know that we have any sort of secret sauce. We're going to go try to see if we can get a win this week and know what a great challenge it's going to be. They're playing really good the last few weeks and we'll see on Sunday if we can bring it the right way and rebound from what was the disappointing result and performance last Sunday.”

(On has he noticed any improvements from the Seahawks defense)
“I think when you look at it the big thing is, just specifically from a personnel standpoint, being able to add (Seahawks DE Carlos) Dunlap up front and then having (Seahawks SS) Jamal Adams healthy, I think they're really getting a good feel for how to maximize both those guys skill sets. You still see (Seahawks Lcool smiley Bobby Wagner and (Seahawks Lcool smiley K.J. Wright play at a really high level. I've always thought (Seahawks SS Quandre) Diggs was a more underrated player and getting (Seahawks CB Shaquill) Griffin back at the corner makes a difference. But I think what they're settling into, really as a team, which is why they're playing so well, is finding that identity as you get late into December. They're turning the ball over. They’re playing really good defense. Since we've played them, they've played really well. I know the numbers were what they were early on, but all that matters is how you're playing right now and they're playing as well as any defense in the league. They are pressuring a little bit more, but I think that's a reflection of picking and choosing their spots. You still see some of the same things that have made this one of the best defenses over the last handful of years. I think it's a great job by (Defensive Coordinator) Coach (Ken) Norton and Coach Carrol. Then I think, really being able to see some of those pieces they've added settle in with some of the continuity that they've already had has made a big difference. That is something that's not to be underappreciated, being able to play alongside one another. You get Dunlap in the middle of the year and then Adams was kind of in and out of the lineup, but he's definitely an impact player. We’re looking forward to the challenge against these guys.”

(On if he feels the leagues defenses have gotten better over the season)
“I think what's also helpful is you have enough inventory to kind of figure out what's the team's identity. So, kind of what you're trying to defend and you've got a little bit early on. And then, having that continuity, being able to get comfortable playing alongside one another, finding out what is your identity. So, I can't speak for the other teams, but I know what I'm seeing on tape from the Seahawks is a really tough defense that has found their identity and they're playing at a really high level over the last six games since we played them for sure.”

(On if he have any memories of interactions with Carroll in 1995-96 when Carroll was coaching at San Francisco with his grandfather Former 49ers Vice President/ Director of Football John McVay)
“No, I didn't have any interaction. I just know from conversations with my grandpa (Former 49ers Vice President/ Director of Football John McVay), how highly he thought of Coach Carroll. Coach Carroll has always been great to me in the interactions that we've had. I just remembered (Former 49ers WR) Jerry Rice and (Former 49ers Qcool smiley Steve Young back then and (Former 49ers Ccool smiley Deion Sanders running around in ‘94 winning Defensive Player of the Year. I did not get a chance to see Coach Carroll then, but I do know my grandfather holds Coach Carroll in an extremely high regard. I know how much respect and how much he appreciates the way Pete has treated him and also treated me. Coach Carroll was a great coach, great man.”

Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley
(On CB Jalen Ramsey and DL Aaron Donald being selected for Pro Bowl)
"First of all, Merry Christmas to everybody, early. I hope you guys are in the holiday spirit. I'm very proud of (DL) Aaron (Donald) and (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey). I think they're certainly deserving. I think that both of those guys are Defensive Player of the Year type candidates. I think they're both having, I would say, their best seasons that they've had as professional players. I certainly think of where we're ranked as a defense is a direct reflection of those guys, the caliber seasons that they've had and just so proud of those guys. I know that this is not anything new to them, but I think what is new, is that they've spearheaded one of the top defenses in the NFL, so I was just proud of those guys. As it relates to a bunch of our other guys, I do feel like a lot of our other players are deserving. I think that several of our guys, (OLcool smiley Leonard Floyd, (S) John Johnson (III), (Ccool smiley Darious Williams, I think all those guys had Pro Bowl caliber seasons and then several others, but I think every coach in the NFL is going to say that about their players. It's a selective event and there's going to be disappointment. I think that more than anything, we're just so glad that we're competing for something as a team. I think we're really proud of what we've accomplished so far as a defense and I think that regardless of who made the Pro Bowl or not, our players are going to benefit from this season one way or the other. I know that we're really proud of our guys."

(On what challenges he faces against the Seahawks for their second game this season)
"I think a lot of it, you'd be surprised what five weeks can do for a team from a personnel-standpoint – injuries and who's available, who's active, kind of how their team is taken shape. I think their team has really taken shape since our game in a little bit of a different way. They've got the runners back, (Rcool smiley Chris Carson is a heck of a running back in this league, someone that has our full respect. (Rcool smiley Carlos Hyde is a back that I've competed against at several other places, who's really given them a lift. They have that one-two punch going. I think that as you guys are aware of with that team, the identity of that team has been formulated from (Head Coach) Pete (Carroll)'s first year to now with the running game and then (Qcool smiley Russell Wilson. I think a lot was made the last time we spoke about their passing game. Russell having a historic season, (WR) DK (Metcalf), (WR Tyler) Lockett, all these guys having fantastic seasons and they still are. I think that they are a more complete offense now with the run element and so much of the play action, boot keeper game coming alive. Because of the run game, I think that they're a much more complete offense than when we first faced them and they're definitely hitting their stride."

(On what he remembers about Ramsey's performance and the matchup with Metcalf)
"So, the first part of your question, I think that it showcased Jalen's abilities fully in that game. Being able to travel outside, right to left, inside, play a variety of different techniques. I think that game, maybe more so than any this year, I think expressed his full abilities and why he is so special and why there is nobody like him in the league. Certainly when you're able to compete against the caliber receiver that DK Metcalf is, this guy is one of the premier players in the league and he's proven it and for Jalen and him to go head-to-head, that's always as a coach or a fan or a player, you want to see the great competitors match up and so that was a really good match up for both those guys. Then, as it goes for this week, we're still sorting that out."

(On miscommunications on motion plays and knocking it off the field on third down and how to fix that)
"The first touchdown of the game was a late, miscommunication and my responsibility. I could've had us in a much better defense for that circumstance, to be very truthful. So on that particular call, I didn't think I gave our guys the best chance to be successful in that game and certainly can work against what they did, but I don't think I helped our guys cause any. On that first drive where they had those four third-down conversions, some of those were really tightly-contested deals. We got out run on the halfback coast play, where (Ccool smiley Troy (Hill) just missed it. We had a third-and-one that we really had a good call up, but Troy kind of got picked on his way to the flat. Then they popped the run in there, where I felt like we were in a good defense, but they just kind of slipped four through five. So, that first series, there was just a couple of near misses. Stuff like that, three out of the four, I can live with, the last one is completely my responsibility. And then, as it relates to the timely motions that I think you're referring to, one on a third-and-three to (WR Jamison) Crowder, and then the one at the end of the game – on the first one, again, I can get us into a much better defense. It's something that we talked about during the week, but not within the context of that defense. I thought I could do much better for our guys. Then in the last one, there was just some indecision there and that's coaching. That's not a result of anything that our players are doing. I've got to do a better job of organizing that and we will moving forward. We've been a team that has adjusted well throughout the season, but in that game, those moments that you are referring to, they hurt us. I need to do better for our guys."

(On DL Sebastian Joseph Day's improvement)
"When you have someone like him in the interior defense, it's just such a big lift. I think that this guy is emerging as one of these young defensive linemen in the league, that's an under the radar guy, but is so important to our success. He's a guy that plays with so much energy. He's kind of a commander in there in the middle. He's almost like a quarterback of the D-line, the way we kind of do things. So, there's some intangibles there that he brings to the table, but playing really physical, has improved his pass rush. I think he's being more effective that way and then he's blocking shots in the middle of our defense too, which we really value. So, a young player that's developing in a big way, a big credit to (Defensive Line Coach) Eric Henderson, who as you guys all know, is an absolute stud D-line coach and one of the best developers of D-linemen that I've been a part of. Sebastian, excited about his progress."

(On if Seahawks QB Russell Wilson is doing anything different from earlier this season that will make him more difficult to contain)
“It’s always difficult with (Seahawks Qcool smiley Russell Wilson. It’s always difficult no matter where or when. He’s a tough cover and I think Russell's playing within the framework of that offense. He's still being the conductor, still making all the big plays at all the key moments. So, I think what the running game has done is just making him that more dangerous. Where people can't just say, ‘Hey, we're going to take away Russell and really prevent him from hurting us.’ I think that dual threat of them being able to turn and hand the ball to (RB Chris) Carson or (RB Carlos) Hyde – I think that just adds another dimension to Russell Wilson's game. It makes him that much more difficult to defend with the play action, the keeper game, some of the read-game and the gun. It just makes him that more effective so certainly a tough cover.”

(On defining Seahawks Head Coach Pete Carroll’s style defensively)
“I think that the strength of (Head Coach) Pete Carroll is that they have an identity in the run game and in the pass game. They have a structure that they believe in that all their players are completely in tune with. There is no gray area in how they play. What they do is they're set up and they're watching you. They're looking for you. They’re ready for all the tough plays that people are designing against them. when I think of his defenses, I think of that. I think of a team that is really physical, really aggressive. A team that plays team defense, you hear me talk about that a lot. I think the hallmark of Pete's defense is they play as a team. When they were really rolling, all three levels of their defense, (former DE) Michael Bennett, (former DE) Cliff Avril, (Lcool smiley Bobby Wagner, (OLcool smiley KJ Wright, (former SS) Kam Chancellor, (former SS) Earl Thomas and (49ers Ccool smiley Richard Sherman, all these corners that came out of nowhere, that no one had ever heard of, that all become Pro Bowl caliber players. I think it's the strength of the way they teach there. They have a profile on what they're looking for from all their players. I think you can see that with them acquiring (SS) Jamal Adams, who fits that mold of what they want to be. Then (SS) Quandre Diggs, acquiring him. You can see that defense starting to take shape the way that Pete kind of envisions it and that's why they're playing well. It's just taking time to get all the pieces together, but he's one of the best defensive coaches in the history of the game. I think it goes back to his ability to teach and then really set his guys up for success in positions where they're strong. Those guys play to their strengths. They're fundamentally sound and then they have a great competitive spirit and I think that's something that you can never minimize. They take the field with great competitive spirit and compete to the end.”

(On how he has seen the defense grow over the course of the season)
“The season is long in the NFL, where you start and where you end are two completely different places. Where we started in the Zoom world in the spring to now – you're talking about two completely different universes, coaches and players. I think what we've been able to establish, more than anything, are our relationships with our guys, where when we're in the fight, we can adjust quickly because we've gotten to know each other so well. I think our guys have a familiarity with how we play and how we want to play. We've been able to make adjustments quickly because of that continuity. So I think that's something that as a defense, I think the more connected you are, the better chance you have of being successful and you can avoid some of the waves that happen in the NFL. I think you avoid waves in the NFL by how steady you are as a group. I think that we've done that to this point and we still have a long way to go. We plan on playing a lot longer. We have to continue that process because it's day-to-day. I think our guys have really bought into coming into the office or coming into a zoom meeting and just being ready to improve. There's a list after every game, after every chance you get a chance to perform, whether it's a practice or a game, there's a list, and as long as you keep taking care of that list and have a great spirit about it, then you will improve and I think our guys have done that.”

(On how to pass rush Wilson)
“I think pass defense is pass rushing and pass coverage working together. I think you hear that sometimes in the NFL. I think when you define that as, whether you're in three, four, five, six, seven-man rush, whatever type of coverage you play, whether it's zone, or man, pattern match, it has to fit together against Russell because there's no look that's going to surprise him, he’s seen it all. What you have to deal with Russell is his legs and his escape ability, all that which is widely documented, but you also have to deal with this processor in his brain. This guy is as sharp as it gets and if you make mistakes he's going to capitalize. So, you have to have your front and your coverage working together, because if there's a mistake in either of those places, whether it's your rush or your coverage, he's going to find it. It takes a full 11-man operation. You guys have heard me talk about 22 guys in the game, because you had to chase this guy around for four quarters or overtime. So, it takes a total team effort to get it done.”

QB Jared Goff
(On how to motivate the younger players given the stakes on Sunday)
"I think myself along with a lot of leaders on this team, that is part of the job is being those guys, being that rock. When things don't go the way you want. being able to kind of go through the storm. Just stay there and be able to let those guys follow your lead. I think that's a good point, some of our young guys haven't experienced games like this coming up and even games last week where you have a big letdown like that. It's important to have guys that can stay the course and be the same at all times.”

(On playing in Seattle without the fans)
“It's always fun playing up there with the fans. This time it'll be a little bit different, obviously, with no fans. But any time you get to go up there and in front of that crowd in that atmosphere, it's always fun. It's obviously always more fun when you win up there. But yeah, we'll be approaching it no different than we would otherwise as far as just another road game for us. You wish there were fans there, yeah absolutely.”

(On if the lack of fans changes the mindset to playing on the road)
“No, I don't think so. It's still in between the white lines and everything remains the same. We've won games on the road this year, we've lost games on the road this year. So, it just remains the same as any other game.”

(On his reaction that the Rams only had two players selected to the 2021 Pro Bowl)
“I'm very excited for (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) and (DL) Aaron (Donald), obviously and they deserve every bit of that. But I don't think by any means are they happy about it if we don’t go and do our goals as a team. I think it as a team, we want to go and win the Super Bowl. That's always the goal every year is winning a championship. We've had years where we've had six, seven guys make the Pro Bowl and I think we lost in the first round of the playoffs and you're not too pleased about it. I think the Pro Bowl is cool thing. It's awesome. Congrats to those guys from that to everyone who it, but as a team we have bigger goals.”

(On his ability to play in playoff-clinching scenarios over the past three seasons)
“I can't even remember what games those would be. I remember the one in Tennessee. Detroit. Yeah, then last year, I guess you could even go to San Francisco, it kind of took us out of it. I don't try to make it any more than it is. I think to answer your question, it's another game. I enjoy playing in them. I enjoy playing in meaningful games in December. I think that's always the goal is to be playing games that matter. And right now, we are, we have been the whole year and we have a good chance to get to go up there and get a good one, a good division win. They're a great team. A team coming off a win, coming off a big win. We’ve got to respond after last week and show what we can do.”

(On if it is hard to quiet his mind considering what is at stake on Sunday)
“For me personally, it's never been difficult to do that. I think we always come down to the end of the season and you're always looking at two or three games. But in reality, this game counts just as much as the first time we played them four or five weeks ago. In my head, I treat them all the same and approach the game the same way every week. Obviously, there are some implications this week and following, but it's all the same.”

(On Seahawks S Jamal Adams)
“He's a tremendous player. He's been a tremendous player since he got into the league. He’s been a good addition to their defense this year. I think he's just causing chaos, wherever he's going. He's trying to cause chaos and he does a good job with it. And so, we'll be aware of him, be aware of where he's at and handle it accordingly.”

(On if there are any new challenges preparing for a known division opponent)
“It's same old, same old. You play three teams twice every year and usually the second time around, they'll have a different wrinkle. I'm sure we'll have a different wrinkle for them as well. there is that kind of little mental warfare going on between the coaches schematically. But, as far as on the field, we're playing the game. We're just trying to play. Obviously, we'd have some memories of stuff that they did in the first game that we can draw off of. But at the same time. they could come out and do something entirely different. Like they've done in the past in different games. Not just them, but the Niners and Arizona. Anytime you play the team a second time here, you're bound to get something different.”

(On missing RB Cam Akers this Sunday)
“Yeah, he was running well. He was running really well, and we’ll obviously miss him. But we’ll lean on (Rcool smiley Darrell (Henderson Jr.) and (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown), just like we did earlier in the year when (Rcool smiley Cam (Akers) was out. He missed some games earlier and we really had to rely on those guys heavily. They did a great job stepping up. So, I really expect them to do the same. They've been showing up ever since they've been here. Ever since I've been here, Malcolm's been stepping in at the right time. Darrell in the last handful of years has done a great job as well.”

(On the recent adjustments Seattle has made to become more effective)
“I think defensively, it's always just about gelling coming together and you can see that absolutely. In the last hand full of games, they've done a better job with that. I think they're finding an identity for themselves and they've always been good on defense. I think earlier in the year was a little bit of an anomaly. But the players that have over there, the coaches that have up there, they've always been a really good defense. It was a matter of time before they kind of got it straightened out.”

Seahawks Head Coach Pete Carroll
(On if it’s tough to read the Rams given the recent inconsistencies)
"No. I think it's just the rigors of an NFL season, It's hard. Things don't always go as everybody thinks they should, obviously. Each week is a new battle and away we go. So, it doesn't affect the way we're thinking and the way we're looking at them at all.”

(On the Rams defense since seeing them in the Week 10 game)
“They continue to play really consistent. They've been in control for a long time now. Rush numbers. With the pass rush that they have, they've kept the passing game in check also. So, they've been very consistent.”

(On if the Seahawks WR DK Metcalf and Rams CB Jalen Ramsey matchup ranks among the best he’s seen in the NFL)
“No, I really can't say that. I mean, there's been some great ones over the years. I thought that was a pretty typical one. It’s good to give them a chance to go at each other a little bit more, see if we can get a storyline there.”

(On the impact of having Seahawks RB Chris Carson back)
“Yeah, we've always prided ourselves on being a balanced attack and there was a portion of the schedule in there when we lost three running backs at the same time. It just set us back a little bit. We didn't have the same rhythm. We didn't feel the same rhythm about our style play that we like. And, so it just threw us off a little bit. We just couldn't get back to the balance. So, that has returned with really (Seahawks Rcool smiley Rashaad Penny coming back as well, this is as good as we've been all year. So, we're happy to have those guys battling, competing for playing time.”

(On the impact of not having a typical home-field advantage with fans)
“I'm really hoarse after the games from trying to make up for the crowd by yelling myself. I'm trying to counter the fact that there's not 68,000 crazy people going nuts here. So, we try to generate our own noise as best we can. It's been an unusual experience all season long. Both of our teams have been all over to the East Coast too. To go on those trips and there's nobody there, it's just been a factor that's unique. It's one of a kind experience for the NFL. Obviously here, we have a great crowd and great following and they're going crazy, but they're sitting at home doing it. So, it's not a factor that we have enjoyed, like you're saying. It's one of the great assets you have is when the opponent can't hear the snap count when you're rushing the passer. So, we lose that factor, but the Rams and everybody else loses their factor too. It just kind of equals itself out. It's kind of a non-factor away at home games to me.”

(On if he’s surprised the Rams did not have more than two players selected to the 2021 Pro Bowl)
“Well, their whole defense is playing like a Pro Bowl defense. (OLcool smiley Leonard Floyd had a great year. (DL) Michael Brockers is always difficult. (DL) Sebastian (Joseph-Day) is tough. I mean, their whole crew is tough to deal with. Their safeties play good, man. I mean, every part of their defense is playing well, so they should feel every bit that. It'd be frustrating to them because you can't have much of a better year than they're having. But it's also Pro Bowl voting too. They don't always catch up with like the set of a good group like this. This defense is so good right now this season that the following doesn't always pick up on that. And so, likely that these guys who have played so well together this year will be recognized as they do it again next year and more likely to get picked up. That's the way I've watched it happen over the years.”

(On if that was the case when his defense was on the rise)
“Yep, absolutely.”

(On if it offers more motivation)
“I think in particular, guys that have a big chip on their shoulder usually are the guys that stand out. And so, often, we had a lot of guys like that and continue that and guys like that now. It does affect them, yeah. They take it personally and they do respond to a certain extent and I think that's a beautiful way to motivate.”

(On the addition of Seahawks DE Carlos Dunlap in the pass rush)
“Our numbers have jumped since the midpoint since going into the second half of the season. Our pass rush has really improved, we're rushing like anybody now. (Seahawks DE) Carlos (Dunlap) has been part of that. He's one of the guys that when he's out there, he helps other guys play well. He is factor. Often, it's just such a slight difference between getting there and not getting there and somebody pushing the pocket in particular, moving the quarterback more so, suddenly can make a big difference. He has been part of that. Also, we've got a lot of production from (Seahawks S) Jamal (Adams) and what he's done. We can't rush him enough because he's such a factor percentage wise. So, those guys have really made a difference. Our group has just played better. We were banged up quite a bit in the middle and we just didn't have the continuity that we needed to get going. Now, we feel it and we got a chance to play some pretty good ball.”

(On any similarities between Seahawks S Jamal Adams and former S Lawyer Milloy)
“I think you're right on the money on Jamal (Adams) and (former S) Lawyer Milloy. There has never been a guy that I've coached that had more attitude about blitzing and then Lawyer Milloy. I love what he brought and really Jamal has every bit of that. I mean, he's got a mentality for it and a suddenness and an instinct about it that that allows him to separate. Lawyer was one of my all-time favorite guys in that regard. And Jamal really has just captured that attention there. He's just getting warmed up, he's got a lot out in front of him too as we continue to learn him and deploy him.”

(On Rams DL Sebastian Joseph-Day and DL Morgan Fox bring to the defensive front)
“Yeah. I mentioned (DL) Sebastian (Joseph-Day) earlier, he is a really good player and he's done a lot of cool stuff. He’s got quickness and explosiveness and he penetrates well. What (DL) Aaron Donald does, is he makes everybody better because of his factor. But that doesn't mean that you automatically are just sacking the quarterback just because you got a good guy next to you. These guys are good. (DL) Morgan (Fox) too brings the heat. I think Leonard has really taken advantage of being part of this unit and he's got a big year, probably as best year ever sack-wise. It's a really good group. This is not just a one guy setting the whole tone of this defense. The whole group plays and Aaron is as good as there's ever been in the game. He has that factor, but you couldn't be this good unless you got a lot of guys playing ball and they've been able to do it with some guys who've been banged up and brought in some linebackers they needed to play. They've come through too. And the secondary, like I said, mentioned (S) Jordan (Fuller) and (S) John Johnson (III) back there, they're real big factors in how they play. Those guys add to the pass rush too. (Ccool smiley Darious Williams had a fantastic game against us and continues to be a factor. So, this is a good, good group now. There's no doubt about it.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - December 23, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay, Defensive Coordinator Brandon Staley, QB Jared Goff and Seahawks Head Coach Pete Carroll

Shaky298December 23, 2020 02:37PM