Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - November 30, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay

December 01, 2020 12:44AM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts -
November 30, 2020
Head Coach Sean McVay
Head Coach Sean McVay
(On injury updates)
“Fortunately for us, we came out clean, just your typical bumps and bruises. Then with (OLcool smiley Terrell Lewis obviously not playing, he'll be week-to-week with his knee as we monitor that.”

(On how he looks at yesterday’s loss and its impact in the division)
“I look at it as we just have to handle our business in the moment. Really, we're not naive to where we are and that was obviously not the result we were looking for yesterday. But based on the schedule that we do have left it really doesn't change in terms of having control of your destiny specific to the division. The only way that we get ourselves back on track is having a good week of preparation. That's the beauty of it. Like you guys have heard me say, the only thing that a tough game like that presents is an opportunity to respond, that's what you love about this league. You look at it, you acknowledge the things that everybody can do collectively to get the result that we're looking for. You can't let it linger we can't let the 49ers beat us twice. We know what a great challenge the Cardinals are going to be in all three phases. That's what really represents the opportunity for me to truly be able to move on, where we kind of did that with our players in a lot of instances this morning. You still go back and you make sure that you're not ignoring the things that have to be addressed in order to be able to be the team that we want to be as we try to finish out the season and as we ultimately try to go attack our eighth win this week.”

(On has he ever been that upset after a game)
“I don't know about upset. I think it's a result of the confidence that I have in the people. I wouldn't say things if I didn't know there was broad shoulders to be able to handle it. Because I know what you're referring to. The reality is, there's no more difficult position than the quarterback spot, it's why you get a lot of good credit and it's why you get a lot of criticism. The head coach, not to the level of difficulty to the quarterback, but the next thing is you get a lot of criticism, which is fair. I think it is a real credit to, more than anything, I know he can handle it. I know he can acknowledge it and we can all be honest about the expectations. I’m not going to apologize for the high expectations that I have in him. Maybe while it was a little bit of a different approach, I think it was something that was honest, that I know he's capable of correcting and that's where that came from yesterday. But it doesn't change my belief or anything. If anything, I think it's a reflection of the confidence I have, because I can be demanding of him in some of those settings, whether it be publicly or privately with our team.”

(On if he has seen the Patriots-Cardinals tape)
“Today represents kind of just the initial parts of getting ready for that. I’ve just gotten into a little bit of the tape, not anything to really divulge too much of a game plan or really see exactly what they did. The most important thing for Mondays is kind of putting our previous game away, cleaning up anything and then getting a jumpstart on what's next. I know a lot of our coaches have gotten a chance to get a little bit further ahead than I have. I'm looking forward to really starting that up, like I mentioned, kind of after this.”

(On what made him decide last night was the best time to be say something about QB Jared Goff in his postgame press conference)
“I don't know that there was really too much intentionality behind it other than just the fact that was what – when the question was asked, “What's been the consistent thing and what do we have to really be able to do?” That's what I think was the thing that we have to be able to do. In a lot of instances, you have four turnovers, (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown) has to take better care of the football on the first one and then the other three, that's where I know we're capable of making better decisions and handling some of those plays that sometimes the best play is to take a sack and not feel like you have to get it out of your hand and force it when there's not a lot of options there. Just being able to understand within each situation, what is going to be the best outcome based on the role and the responsibility that you have when you touch the football more than anybody else based on the nature of the position and that was really all that it went into. (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) knows that I support him. Jared knows that our staff, our players, and our coaches are going to work as hard as we can to be able to respond and I think we all know he's wired the right way to be able to handle it and move on as well.”

(On if he considered putting QB Jared Goff on the bench during the 49ers or Dolphins games)
"If I thought it was going to be the best thing to just take a deep breath and step away, then I'd say, maybe. But not in either of those situations, because both of those reflected kind of having an opportunity where there was enough plays made to get back in it. The Dolphins game, maybe a little bit different, but I thought it was important to be able to play through some of those things, learn from it, especially just based on some of the things that they were activating defensively. Yesterday, each of those situations that occurred that that ended up hurting us, were kind of different in their own right. All of them happened to be versus a man-coverage type of situation, the three turnovers that he had had. Really for us, we got back in that game where we had a good little bit of momentum on that drive, that you get the big play to (WR) Cooper (Kupp), then you end up hitting (WR) Josh Reynolds and then we just kind of missed hitting a touchdown to (Rcool smiley Darrell Henderson (Jr.) which ended up getting it to 17-6. Then (DL) Aaron (Donald) does an unbelievable job of forcing the fumble and then the next thing you know, the next drive you get, that's where you see (Rcool smiley Cam (Akers) break a 61-yarder and he has a tough, hard red-zone run that two plays later, you punch it in and then you're looking up and you're winning the game. Yesterday that was never part of the consideration nor was it really for Miami, to answer your question."

(On if the number of turnovers impacts the play calling)
"I think you want to evaluate each one of those – why they occurred and how you can minimize some of the risk exposure, if you will. We're never going to be an outfit that's going to play afraid to go and attack success. You want to be aggressive, but you don't want to be reckless. In some instances, the way that the game, the ebbs and flows of the game will dictate maybe a little bit different approach, but that's more of a result of trying to win the football game as opposed to trying to minimize turnovers. You always want to try to minimize the risk for turnovers as a play caller. In some instances you say, 'Man, I got to do a much better job,' and then there's other instances where you're saying, 'Okay, we can collectively make a better decision in those circumstances.' That's why everybody has a hand in it and we've all got to make sure that we're taking the ownership and accountability, so that we can continue to just progress in the right direction. There's been some steps in the right direction and then there's been some unfortunate setbacks, but we've got tangible evidence of being able to respond and that's what I expect us to do as a team moving forward this week."

(On only one of the recent 10 turnovers being on third down)
"I think if we went through all 10 of them, I could give you examples. A handful of them, if you will, were in some of those known-passing situations. You say it wasn't on a third down, but the one fumble at the end of the first half, we're in a two-minute mode, it's a first-and-10 and you're playing a lot of the third-down coverages and you're kind of aggressively utilizing some of your menu that's reflective of the known passing, which is more the third downs. The other two interceptions were on play-action passes in normal down amd distances. Then you go back to last week against the Bucs, one of them was on a screen. We just got to keep learning from each one of them. We want to try to have a minimal number that we're not having to talk too much about it, but all of these present learning opportunities and that's exactly how we approach it and that's the only thing that I know how to do."

(On CB Jalen Ramsey seeming to have fewer snaps)
"In warm-ups he had a little bit of a hip thing that was bothering him, but he was able to step up, he played 50 of the 75, or however exactly, snaps it was. That was kind of something that we were surprised about it in warm-ups. He did a great job with the reps that he had and I do expect him to be feeling good and he came out of there and checked off with (Vice President, Sports Medicine and Performance) Reggie (Scott) and the training staff in good shape, but that was the only reason why he wasn't out there every single snap. You want one of your best players and a guy like him out there as much as possible."

(On if he is frustrated with how things are going offensively this year and what needs to change moving forward)
"Frustrated, I think we're frustrated with yesterday's performance. I think the overall level of expectation in production I don't think has been consistently where we expected to be and that's a reflection of the confidence I have in the unit. But it's a simple answer that goes back to consistency and everybody executing their role and responsibility and that's coaches and players alike. Everybody's got to consistently do their job, whether it be when we're trying to run the football, throw it, whether you're in protection and then you're responsible for trying to separate, the decision making, the timing and accuracy from the quarterback spot. Everybody has a role and that's what I think is important to acknowledge as well, is while I'm challenging and I'm hard on the quarterback because of the expectations that he set forth based on how he's played, it's not all about him. There's other 10 guys that have a role and a responsibility to help to the greater good. I certainly have a big responsibility, as do all the other coaches, and we're all in this together. We're going to stay connected. We're going to stick together and we're just going to keep battling and we're going to keep trying to pursue a more consistent product week in and week out. It has not been up to our standards. There's been some bright spots, but I think overall, when you hear me talk about consistency is the truest measurement of performance, unfortunately we haven't been as consistent of a unit as we all expect to be through these first 11 games."

(On the worry, if there is any, about developing bad habits in terms of inconsistencies)
"I think you address it and you really have to attack the problem, be solution-oriented. Let's look inward about what are the things within each position that we can do a better job of, and then implement those within the daily fundamentals and drill work and techniques that we're trying to apply, so that you don't have the same things creep up. Specific to each position, you could really go into great depth of what that week entails and that's exactly why we've got great coaches. The first thing they do is, there's an after-action review after every single game, let's identify the things from a preparation standpoint, everything that we can do that led to good outcomes or not the outcomes and then let's immediately be solution-oriented in terms of implementing these approaches throughout the course of the week to fix the problems, so that they don't present themselves again. Is it a perfect thing? No, certainly not, but I do think our guys do a great job of trying to address and attack. That's exactly what we'll try to do this week as we reflect on some of the things that forced us to fall short yesterday."

(On he spends time to get new things out of the same offensive skill positions)
"Yeah, it's a good question. I think what you always want to make sure is that you're adapting and evolving and in some instances that means adjusting and changing your approach, while also, not losing sight of some of the foundational things that have enabled you to have a certain level of success. I think there is a balance. I do think in a lot of instances, especially this game, while there can be a lot of moving parts and nuances to it, the fundamentals and the techniques usually are reflective of winning and losing games. The scheme and things like that can be good, but if you're able throw and catch, if you're able to block and tackle, if you're able to work edges and separate, if you're able to take care of the football with great ball security, if you're able to attack it relentlessly on defense and get it back for the offense, that's usually going to give you a formula for success. And unfortunately, I think the overarching theme is, we haven't done a good enough job taking care of it. Then in some instances, being able to have those guys win consistently versus those match-ups. There's definitely been times that we have, there's other times we haven't. Like I said, everybody has a hand in it and I feel a great sense of ownership and that's where, I'm just going to continue to work and try to do better for these guys, as I know they have the same approach as well.”

(On whether CB Darious Williams was due to the Ramsey rotation)
“Yeah, that was rotating specific to the different personnel groupings with how we were matching them. What they were doing and what we felt like was going to be the best way to defend that.”

(On his evaluation of DB David Long Jr.)
“(Dcool smiley David (Long Jr.) did a nice job. Really in those snaps that (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey) ended up kind of getting a breather on the sidelines, Davidplayed about 25 snaps. I thought he stepped in. I thought he competed well. He had the one call that was on him, but I was pleased with the way that he stepped in. I think it's a real credit when look at the impact the amount of snaps that (S) Nick Scott's playing. I think our DB coaches, (Defensive Coordinator) Brandon (Staley), (Safeties Coach Ejiro) Evero and (Cornerbacks) Coach (Aubrey) Pleasant and (Defensive Quality Control Jonathan) Cooley have really done a great job with the back end. I mean, you see if you really watched all the different things that (S) John Johnson (III) is doing, I thought he was outstanding yesterday.”

(On if OL Brian Allen’s knee injury is related to last season)
“Yeah, it is similar, same knee issue. Sometimes, you have those setbacks following a surgery. He's a guy that's attacked his rehab relentlessly. For those of you guys that know (OL) Brian (Allen), he's as hard a worker as you get. He loves football. The good news is, is that thing has taken a turn for the better. You maybe look into, okay, if this isn't getting better, is that a possible candidate for IR? But based on what I'm hearing from Reggie and how he's feeling, it doesn't look like that's the route we're going to have to go. But we'll continue to monitor that especially starting on Wednesday when we get back in the building.”

(On the approach towards coaching mental mistakes)
“I think it's really, what type of mental mistake is it? Is it a misread? Is it a missed target in terms of where we're trying to go in the run game? I think it's helping simplify their thought process. I would say like the cycle of the snap for them to quiet their mind down so that they can execute their role. I've heard a great coach, Rod Marinelli say before, ‘Sometimes see a little, you see a lot.’ In a lot of instances, we've got so many conscientious players that it's about simplifying the thought process, seeing less, so that you can ultimately see more. I think each position, there's a little bit different mental approach. Some have some easier jobs and roles and responsibilities within the cycle of the snap. Others have a lot more on them. But I think ultimately it's about how can you create a simplified approach that gives them a quieted mind so that they can go play free and let their athleticism and natural God-given instincts take over.”

(On how he would navigate the unlikely scenario that occurred in Denver without quarterback available)
“We've got a lot of guys that I think would probably say they should be first in line. In a lot of instances previously, (WR) Cooper (Kupp) has kind of been our emergency QB. But I think Cam Akers would deserve some consideration based on his high school background. So, let's hopefully keep our masks on and not have that be a problem that we don't have to worry about. But those would be the first two guys that probably come to mind and I'm sure I'm missing some guys that would say, ‘Coach, don't sleep on my QB skills.’”

(On if P Johnny Hekker could be in that mix for emergency Qcool smiley
“(P) Johnny (Hekker) could do it. Yeah, no doubt about it. It's a good call.”

(On his evaluation of K Matt Gay)
“He's doing great. I think if you said, ‘What's a real positive takeaway from yesterday?’ I thought the defense getting three turnovers, scoring a touchdown – then I though he (K Matt Gay) was automatic. He did a great job on kickoffs. Did a great job with the field goals and extra points. It was a real bright spot for us. I think we've found a guy that we feel really good about as we move forward.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - November 30, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay

Shaky309December 01, 2020 12:44AM

Is Hekker our best ST coach/GM?

max159December 01, 2020 02:35AM

Re: Is Hekker our best ST coach/GM?

den-the-coach151December 01, 2020 05:55AM