Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: HC Sean McVay 11/13/20

November 13, 2020 02:48PM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts -
November 13, 2020
Head Coach Sean McVay

(Opening Statement)
“A couple of guys that we had discussed, everybody was full with the exception of (OLcool smiley Terrell Lewis today. He and (OLcool smiley Leonard Floyd will be listed as questionable for the game, but we fully expect them to participate and then we gave (DL) Aaron Donald a veteran rest day today, but looking forward to a great match up with a great team coming in here on Sunday.”

(On if S Jordan Fuller still be activated on Sunday)
“That's correct.”

(On if OL Joe Noteboom still be activated on Sunday)
“Yep.”

(On if DL A’Shawn Robinson still make his debut Sunday)
“All those things that we talked about (laughs). Yes, all those things. We will be looking forward to seeing him get his first action with us.”

(On if it’s a possibility for OL Joe Noteboom to switch sides since OL David Edwards is playing so well)
“He's always been able to play. Originally, when we drafted (OL) Joe (Noteboom) that was the intent, to have the athleticism, to be a swing tackle for us, where he can play on that left or right side. He just ended up really kind of asserting himself as a player that has the ability to play inside or outside. So, definitely he gets work at tackle, he gets work inside and I think (Run Game Coordinator/Offensive Line) Coach (Aaron) Kromer does an excellent job of being able to develop some depth and some versatility with some of our guys, especially being able to have eight offensive lineman up on game day now. But Joe's versatility is a real edge for us, given his ability to be able to play inside or outside for us on either side.”

(On the importance of having an offensive line that can cross train and play swing tackle)
“It's really important and that's why – fortunately for us because (OL Andrew) Whitworth, we always give him at least one, sometimes a couple days off during the week because of the experience he's accumulated – Joe gets those reps at that tackle spot. So, it serves as a great opportunity for him to continue to progress, develop, get those practice reps like I was just mentioning and then be ready to go at either that guard or outside tackle spot if his numbers called.”

(On DL Michael Brockers being at practice today)
“We continued with the theme that we've done with him, so (DL Michael) Brockers had a veterans day and that's going to be the theme that we will have on those Friday practices for him. So yes, he was another guy that didn't participate, but it was just due to the veteran’s rest day.”

(On who he thinks will have a more productive second half of the season like TE Tyler Higbee did last season)
“I think we're at our best when the ball is spread around. We've got a lot of guys that we feel really good about. What (TE) Tyler (Higbee) did was a reflection of maximizing his opportunities. (TE) Gerald (Everett) ended up getting banged up and so Tyler ended up playing in a lot of those situations. We started doing some different things schematically, but really, he's always been a big part of what we want to do. He'll continue to be that, but I think we're at our best when you make the defense defend all five eligibles when (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) is spreading it around to a variety of receivers. So we feel really good about, and when I say receivers, I really just mean our skill players, you know, wide receivers, tight ends or half backs and I think that's what a lot of the offenses that I've been a part of that have had a lot of success, is where you can't just sit on one guy. You've got to be able to honor all five eligibles and that's a good thing for us because we have a lot of guys we are confident in and that can make plays with the ball in their hands.”

(On the team’s depth)
"I think you'll continue to see guys like (TE) Johnny Mundt get opportunities to play more. He did a great job in that Chicago game. We've talked about it a lot. There's a real bright future for guys like (Rcool smiley Cam Akers and (WR) Van Jefferson. I think they've really practiced well really over the last month or so. I think it'll be something that hopefully is reflected in their opportunities and then maximizing the opportunities that they get on game day with these last eight (games) that we're guaranteed.”

(On Defensive Line Coach Eric Henderson)
“He's a great coach. He's got great command. I always think one of the things you feel really good about with all of our coaches, they're such great communicators. But, having played the game, his ability to really get on the field, you guys see what a great job he does in his individual drills. I think he's got a really great balance of being able to be hard on these guys, demand a lot of them, but being able to create an atmosphere that's enjoyable, but it's still urgent. He’s got such a great feel for how to rotate guys. He's got a great understanding of exactly what we want to try to get done and he and (Outside Linebackers) Coach (Chris) Shula really being able to put together a rush plans weekend and week out. But he's phenomenal coach and he's done a great job. I think the biggest compliment is when you hear guys like Aaron or Brockers talk about him and how much he has helped their development for guys that have already been very established players in this league. The nuances of the game, the fundamentals, the techniques, just picking up on little things to help just play at a higher level. I think the way you see that group play is a reflection of what a great coach he is.”

(On if he’s familiar with Coach Henderson’s ‘Dawg Work’ mantra)
“Oh yeah. I mean, he's got it all over his stuff. Right? He's got it on his social media too. Doesn't he? I’m not even on Twitter and I know that.”

(On if he’s really not on Twitter)
“I just Google it and it pops up, but I'm not on Twitter. I promise you that.”

(On Detroit Lions Special Teams Coordinator Brayden Coombs)
“I'm not surprised at all. What I first knew about (Detroit Lions Special Teams Coordinator) Brayden (Coombs) being a little bit younger, his dad's success when he was the head coach at Colerain and now obviously he's doing a great job at Ohio State and with the Titans a year ago. But Brayden's got a great feel for the game. I think those guys that have grown up around the game their whole life, you can really feel that I'd like to think that that's a connection that he and I had, same reason why Chris Shula who played with us as well, as is on our staff here. But, a great feel for the game. Sees it from a 22-man perspective. I know a lot of the experiences that he had at Cincinnati were really invaluable for him to be able to continue to develop not exclusive to just special teams. I think what's been as impressive as anything is how quickly he's asserted himself there at Detroit and made an impression and you see it with the production that they're having on (special) teams and really representing his first opportunity to kind of be in a coordinator role, making those decisions, putting the game plans together. I haven't spoken to them too frequently this year, because I know we all get busy, but really happy for him. I'm not at all surprised at the success he's having.”

--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPTS: HC Sean McVay 11/13/20

Shaky249November 13, 2020 02:48PM