Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – September 25, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay

September 25, 2020 01:56PM
TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – September 25, 2020
Head Coach Sean McVay

(On updates on RB Cam Akers and CB Darious Williams)
“So Darious will be listed as questionable for the game and then Cam will be out for this game. We'll keep him back. He won't make the trip and we'll just continue to try to get him as healthy as possible for next week, and then (Ccool smiley Darious (Williams) is questionable, but, feel good about him playing.”

(On his relationship with Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers Joe Barry and his strengths as a coach)
“As soon as I found out that I was going to be able to be here, he was one of the first people that I wanted to make sure we got on board. Our relationship going back to both being coordinators in Washington was really strong. We always kind of just bounce stuff off of one another. He's a great communicator, great teacher. He's got just a great energy about himself that you like being around (Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers) Joe Barry, you always feel better about yourself when you're around Joe Barry. I think that's a great trait for a coach to have, and he's done such a good job. I think when you look at just the guys that he's been able to put his arm around and help develop since he's been here as a coach, not even just looking at the long-term of his career and how many guys I could name. Being able to help (Former Lcool smiley Cory Littleton ascend to the caliber of player that he is. Then you see as (ILcool smiley Micah (Kiser) is getting his first opportunity and (ILcool smiley Kenny (Young) to really play significant snaps. What a great job he's done helping guide them. They're ultimately making the plays, but with Joe’s been special. He's a great assistant head coach and great linebacker coach for us.”

(On how not having Akers for gameday affect the team’s gameplan)
“We miss (Rcool smiley Cam (Akers). We'd love to be able to have him, but it doesn't change anything. So, Cam's done a nice job these first couple of weeks, but like we've said, we felt good about all three of our backs all along. It's never something that you want to have a guy that is a significant part of your offense missing, but when you do have depth at the position and (Running Backs) Coach (Thomas) Brown done a great job, developing that depth with (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown) and (Rcool smiley Darrell (Henderson Jr.), we feel really good. Doesn't change anything with our gameplan.”

(On if they will activate RB Raymond Calais as a fourth back for this week’s game)
“I think there's a chance. We'll work through that, but there's a possibility that he could be up as the fourth running back. (Rcool smiley Xavier (Young) will definitely be up again; he's done a nice job with special teams. So, we'll see about (RB Raymond) Calais.”

(On if RB Malcolm Brown or RB Darrell Henderson Jr. will start)
"We haven't decided yet."

(On CB Jalen Ramsey and how he has changed since coming to the Rams)
"I've seen a very secure, confident individual, who's extremely intelligent and smart, understands the game. I've really enjoyed my time around Jalen and there's going to be a lot more time moving forward, but he's done a really good job. I think the thing that stood out to me when he first got here, was the way that he practiced, how quickly he was able to pick things up. I mean you look, he came mid-week. His first day of practice was on like a Thursday and he picked up the gameplan. (Cornerbacks Coach) Aubrey (Pleasant) did a great job getting him up to speed. He played a significant amount of snaps against the Falcons and (Falcons WR) Julio (Jones), who we know what a great player he is and that's kind of been consistent with Jalen. He brings it, he's got a good swagger and confidence about himself, and I think his play energy is contagious for our football team and I'm really fortunate to have him here with us."

(On what it will take to get TE Gerald Everett more involved from a pass-catching perspective)
“It’s a good question. I think the thing that you feel really good about is we've got a bunch of guys on our football team that they just do their role and then the ball gets spread around. And sometimes it's certain guys’ days. You look at the previous week, (WR) Robert (Woods) had six (receptions) for 105 (yards). (TE Tyler) Higbee has five targets for five catches and three touchdowns last week. So, being able to activate and use all five eligibles is something that is important to us and being able to spread it around. We can do that when we've got the selfless guys and a quarterback that's capable of it. (TE) Gerald (Everett) is a guy that we do want to try to get a little bit more involved, but it's kind of a game by game thing.”

(On how managing the running back corps is different from this year to last year)
“(Running Backs) Coach (Thomas) Brown does such a good job of having a feel for it. It's a confidence in all of those guys. You look at what (Falcons Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley II) had established and what type of player he was. He was basically playing until we needed to give him a blow. So, there really wasn't much of a rotation. (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown) would just spell him when we felt like Todd needed a blow. This year it's kind of a feel based on how the games have gone – at least for two games. I'd probably be better equipped to answer it after a little bit more experience. Two games is a real small inventory right now.”

(On how having one ‘workhorse’ running back helped him as a playcaller in previous seasons, knowing that key component is always going to be ready to go)
“It definitely was a big thing, but I think each situation has it a little bit different approach. Because I feel really good about our running back room right now, even though it's different than what we had with Todd (Gurley II). I think we've got guys, especially when you look at (Rcool smiley Darrell (Henderson Jr.) and (Rcool smiley Malcolm (Brown), both those guys can play on all three downs. Have full confidence in them. Thomas (Brown) has the luxury of being able to kind of just feel, ‘All right, who has the hot hand, or we'll go with this guy one series and somebody else the next series to keep them fresh throughout.’ So, I feel really good about our running back room. Having the luxury of what Todd (Gurley) provided was definitely something that you didn't take for granted.”

(On the chemistry in the secondary)
“I think you want to be a connected team. I mean, the types of guys that we want to be able to have in our building are the high character, they love football, and they're made of the right stuff, which makes it easy to support your teammates. You want to try to help cultivate and create an environment where it's about supporting one another, working through adversity and that's exactly what these guys have done. I think it's a real credit to our defensive coaches, the guidance from that defensive back coaching room too. When you look at (Cornerbacks Coach) Aubrey (Pleasant), (Safeties Coach) Ejiro (Evero), and (Defensive Assistant/Quality Control) Jonathan Cooley, I think those three guys are outstanding. I think (Defensive Coordinator) Brandon (Staley) has done a great job as well, but you know, we have special guys in that room and I think any situation you put them in, it will probably be pretty good because you have (Ccool smiley Jalen (Ramsey), (S) John Johnson III, (S) Taylor Rapp, you end up onboarding some young players, and (Ccool smiley Troy Hill. So, there is a lot of good things going on in that room especially.”

(On how he has seen the defensive back coaches innovate over time)
“I just think it’s their ability to work at it. Study all the tape that we have access to, understand the fundamentals and the techniques, and then how to be able to make it as difficult as possible for the offenses. I think the big picture is understanding that all of those guys possess a real cutting edge for our back end and you can see it translate to the tape.”

(On if he feels like this is a running offense and how has he been influenced by the offenses he played with in high school or college)
“I would say, I think we've run the ball well for the first couple of weeks. Anytime that you're a good offense, the best offenses that I've been a part of are the ones that can do both. You can throw it, or you can run it, you don't want to be one dimensional. Everybody talks about balance, but I think the most important thing is being able to move the ball and score points. If we feel like it’s running, it’s throwing it’s being balanced, you know, that's what we'll try to do. But the first two weeks, I think our guys have done a nice job being able to get a bunch of attempts off, being pretty efficient, and it’s been a real positive for us. We know we've got a great challenge against an excellent run defense this week, but it is about moving the ball and scoring points. And then, you know, everything that I've been exposed to football wise has in some form or fashion influenced the things that we're doing here, but it's always a good collaboration of all the coaches on our staff. But, there’s definitely some influences that I've had that have been helpful in terms of kind of shaping our core beliefs and our philosophy offensively here.”
--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – September 25, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay

Shaky449September 25, 2020 01:56PM

Re: TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – September 25, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay

AlbaNY_Ram277September 25, 2020 02:48PM

Re: TRANSCRIPTS: Rams Head Coach Sean McVay – Media Availability – September 25, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay

zn183September 25, 2020 04:09PM

Rams43171September 25, 2020 06:23PM