Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

interesting conversation...I'm wondering about it now...

September 19, 2020 06:03AM
Man...this is really hard to delineate QB styles...I find myself coming to TWO MAIN types in my observations....Pocket & Mobile.
with a sub-type(System)that combines a well-schemed system that they operate in. The System is the strategy of the coach playcalls.

It's really hard because football is SUCH a team sport...and the playcalling strategy is HUGE. Like if the wrong play is called can the player make the play work in spite of it? Can the player just make it work if it's a bad playcall or when it breaks down. Can the player rise above the play?
IE In a way as a General puts the soldier in a bad position....but the soldier wins the battle in spite of the general's bad strategy.
I cannot help but feel that the coaches system/gameday playcalling is a HUGE factor and so it's included here but it's probably not a good way to organize QB traits cuz it's nuthing to do with it. Yet, it has everything to do with it!!! lol

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Pocket (stationary)
attributes: big arm, great accuracy, throw well off platform, sidestep rushers, wanna throw first always - running is last resort.
examples: Rogers, Rivers, Brees, Mannings, Brady, BigBen, Goff, Elway, Marino, etc

Mobile - Improv/Wildcard
attributes: great athleticism, good passing skills,
examples: Cam Newton, Jackson, Mahomes,etc ----------------------------------- Wentz, Foles, FitzMagic (unreliable?)

So, this 3rd sub-section that has many same QBs is cuz their OC augments the talent by their OC schemes & gameday calling. ie McVay must call a good game. Maybe this is really what I mean by a mix of System & Mobile/Improv....

System (work within the system)
attributes: understanding what the purpose of the scheme/strategy is to such an extent...that it mitigates player talent or augment it??!!
examples: Cousins, Brees, Rivers, Goff, Bradford (coulda been a Brady in the right system?), Brady(doubles here) Cam Newton, Jackson
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

yeah...NO...this isn't working.

I need to think about this waaay more and organize my thots on this - as I love this topic so much!!!
....and I only posted this to add fuel for discussion but it's deeply flawed thinking on my part. This is where physical attributes merge with what a players is asked to do. This is the football liminal, fellas!!!!

A great topic to think & muse about for sure...I know I will be now.

Thanks fer postin this and making me think again how I understand/perceive this beautiful game.

"L'audace, l'audace. Toujours l'audace!"

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2020 06:08AM by SunTzu_vs_Camus.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

3 QB Types

Leoram504September 18, 2020 06:48AM

Re: 3 QB Types

Rams43208September 18, 2020 07:58AM

zn369September 18, 2020 08:15AM

Ohiorams243September 18, 2020 08:31AM

max193September 18, 2020 08:36AM

3030190September 18, 2020 09:29AM

interesting conversation...I'm wondering about it now...

SunTzu_vs_Camus260September 19, 2020 06:03AM

just more musing on this topic.....QB types...but more...

SunTzu_vs_Camus181September 25, 2020 04:40AM

Re: I think it's appropriate Goff wears Montana's number

merlin177September 25, 2020 07:52AM

Excellent observations, Merlin..

SunTzu_vs_Camus156September 25, 2020 08:36AM