Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

3 QB Types

September 18, 2020 06:48AM
When analysts debate what makes an NFL Quarterback elite, they generally show their cards in terms of preference in TYPE of QB. With this in mind, I wish to discuss what I believe are the three general types of quarterback in NFL history.

The first one I call the Field General. The examples here include Unitas, Marino, Manning, Warner, and Brady. While some regard them as statues in the pocket, their elite understanding of the game within the rhythm and timing of their offenses as well as their accuracy elevate them to all time greats of the game. It also helps that they were all surrounded by incredible talent and coaching. Yet it was their ability to anticipate a play that made them special.

The second type I call the Wildcard QB represented by Brett Favre and Michael Vick, What makes this type of player special is that they defied the rules of offensive football by pure improvisation. What made them great was that defenses never knew what to expect. What made them vulnerable was that they were classically uncoachable. What Favre brought to the table was fearlessness and a cannon arm. What Vick did in his heyday was done with his legs.

The third type I call the Improv Passer represented by Fran Tarkenton, Joe Montana, John Elway, Russell Wilson, and Patrick Mahomes. These players start every play within the framework of their offense but do something special when a play breaks down by extending it with their mobility.

I post this framework in lieu of the long debate over this board's evaluation of Jared Goff. Sean McVay is grooming him to be a Field General. While he doesn't yet have the grasp of Manning or Brady, that's his hopeful trajectory. While some lament that he doesn't have the skills of Wilson or Mahomes when the pocket collapses, he is eminently coachable and precisely what McVay wants in a QB. Under Fisher I wanted Wentz because he more closely fit the mold of the Improv Passer that JF had in Steve McNair. As the two quarterbacks meet again, forever linked by their draft status, it's time we let go of the debate and focus on who Jared Goff is becoming, not what others wish he would be if he were a different TYPE of quarterback.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2020 06:49AM by Leoram.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

3 QB Types

Leoram503September 18, 2020 06:48AM

Re: 3 QB Types

Rams43208September 18, 2020 07:58AM

zn369September 18, 2020 08:15AM

Ohiorams243September 18, 2020 08:31AM

max193September 18, 2020 08:36AM

3030190September 18, 2020 09:29AM

interesting conversation...I'm wondering about it now...

SunTzu_vs_Camus260September 19, 2020 06:03AM

just more musing on this topic.....QB types...but more...

SunTzu_vs_Camus181September 25, 2020 04:40AM

Re: I think it's appropriate Goff wears Montana's number

merlin177September 25, 2020 07:52AM

Excellent observations, Merlin..

SunTzu_vs_Camus156September 25, 2020 08:36AM