zn
Rampage2K-
zn
Rampage2K-
Doug has the SB win though....

McVay 33-15

Pederson 38-26

Shanahan 23-25

All of them are great coaches, but I'm taking McVay everyday and twice on Sunday's

Both Pederson and Shanahan had to build teams, including getting a qb. They've also both had key injuries, especially to the qb,

It's just not the same situations. McVay inherited a team full of top talent including the qb. The other 2 had to do it the hard way.

That doesn;t take anything away from McV obviously.

But in many cases the record is not a tell-all.

At the end of the day wins and losses are what a coach is judged on....

McVay inherited a 4-12 doormat with a "bust" rookie QB from the previous year.....how many players from 2016 were on the Super Bowl team in 2018?
Brock, Donald, Saffold, Gurley, Goff....and I think that's about it
Turned the 32nd ranked offense to the #1 offense in his first year....that is pretty amazing

they've all had to deal with injuries. It actually helped Pedersonspin tounge smiley

Not if you look closely. And factor in context.

Tell me McVay does as well in 2018 if Goff were injured early and out for the season. There's injuries and there's injuries.

Is McVay a 9-7 coach? He was last year. According to your reasoning.

Teams can be 8-8 for any number of reasons. They could be a good team that under-achieved. They can be a mediocre team that over-achieved. They could have had good luck, or bad luck. It could be an aging team that is slipping. It could be a young team that's rising.

And so on.

Is McVay a good coach? Yes. So are Pederson and Shanahan. Having to rebuild or not made a difference in their records--to this point. That has nothing to do with their coaching. That just has to do with what was there when they came in, and no coach has any control over that.

And I would argue the exact same thing even if McVay got the Phil or SF job and either DP or KS got the Rams job in 2017. I suspect some people would change their argument depending on which one got the Rams job. I suspect that all of a sudden, DP or KS would get the nod as best coach, depending on which one got the 2017 Rams job(which had the qb, plus Gurley, plus Donald).

The record isn't an answer, it's a question. Namely--why this record? Is this an average at best coach? Or is this a good coach in the process of rebuilding? (and I said that about KS in his first year--good coach who was rebuilding). Or is this a good coach who doesn't have to rebuild?

Doesn't matter. You act as if McVay was handed a playoff team....he was handed one of the worst teams in the league and took the 32nd ranked offense to the number one offense in his first year with basically a rookie QB who many had left for dead after 2016 and had them in the Super Bowl the year after that,

I already said they're are great coaches, I would have been happy with any of them, but I think McVay has been the most impressive and the record and accolades say the same.

I didn't say he was handed a playoff team, I said he did not have to rebuild--which of course makes a difference in the record.

And I had not left Goff for dead. Some made that mistake. I was defending him during his 2016 games (I argued that even in the mess you could see the player he could become). I defended him in the summer of 2017 when some went nuts because presumably he was throwing too many INTs in practice.

I think they are all 3 impressive though I liked McVay immediately when he was hired. But I still have the suspicion many would change their vote if one of the other two got hired by the Rams in 2017 (which was actually realistically possible in only one case.)

We agree they are all 3 great coaches. I am happy with McVay and if it were up to me I would not trade him for anyone.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Talk about offseason non-stories - Philly writer on why Pederson > Mcvay

RantoulRam601July 01, 2020 06:08AM

Re: The only metric that matters

merlin222July 02, 2020 10:27AM

Re: The only metric that matters

Classicalwit190July 02, 2020 12:39PM

McVay has much better record than both Doug and Kyle

Rampage2K-188July 02, 2020 01:59PM

Re: McVay has much better record than both Doug and Kyle

zn326July 02, 2020 02:10PM

Re: McVay has much better record than both Doug and Kyle