October 08, 2019 01:34PM
Showdown with undefeated 49ers now even more crucial for Rams

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Cameron DaSilva

Up until Week 4 this season, the Los Angeles Rams had never been anywhere but first place in the NFC West under Sean McVay. Back-to-back losses have changed that, quickly dropping them from a tie at the top to third place in the division.

It’s unfamiliar territory for the defending NFC champions, who haven’t found a rhythm on offense and have struggled to contain opposing passing attacks. It’s still early in the season, and corrections should be made, but the Rams need to end this slide.

It won’t be easy to do this week with the San Francisco 49ers coming to town – the undefeated 49ers, that is.

After San Francisco’s 31-3 win over the Browns on Monday night, the Rams are now a game and a half behind Kyle Shanahan’s team. Again, it’s only Week 6, but Los Angeles’ matchup with the 49ers on Sunday afternoon just got all the more important.

With a win, the Rams will pull just a half game behind the 49ers. A loss? They’ll be 2.5 back and potentially trailing the Seahawks by two games, as well. It wouldn’t take the Rams out of the NFC West race, of course – things can change in a flash in the NFL – but it would make their chase of the 49ers all the more difficult.

San Francisco is a legitimate 4-0 team, too. Sure, their schedule hasn’t been all that difficult, but the 49ers rank among the league’s best in most statistical categories. They’re second in points per game, fourth in yards per game and first in rushing – both attempts and yards per game. The defense has been extremely impressive, too. They rank fourth in scoring defense, second in yards and second in total turnovers – one fewer than the Patriots and Steelers.

Their point differential of plus-70 is the best in the NFC a wide margin and second in the NFL, behind only New England.

All that’s to say this will be the Rams’ toughest test yet. The 49ers’ rushing attack poses a great threat to Los Angeles’ lackluster run defense, while their defense – specifically the pass rush – could give the Rams fits.

You could call every game in the NFL “must-win,” but this one feels like exactly that for the Rams.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Showdown with undefeated 49ers now even more crucial for Rams...

Rams43433October 08, 2019 01:34PM

I'd say this game sure is crucial for Rams...

NewMexicoRam278October 08, 2019 01:44PM

Re: sorry but I disagree

Speed_Kills280October 08, 2019 03:33PM

I have to agree that it's crucial

JamesJM266October 08, 2019 03:44PM

loss would hurt big time

Hazlet Hacksaw259October 08, 2019 03:50PM

Re: sorry but I disagree

Ramsfan69247October 08, 2019 04:20PM

Almost half season over

ferragamo79234October 08, 2019 06:57PM

That’s flaws logic, speed

max197October 09, 2019 05:07AM

Re: Showdown with undefeated 49ers now even more crucial for Rams...

AZRamsfan65242October 09, 2019 10:55AM