Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

TRANSCRIPT: Rams HCFisher, OCBoras, QBGoff, Saints HCPayton QBBrees 11-23-16

November 23, 2016 03:54PM
TRANSCRIPT: Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher, Offensive Coordinator Rob Boras, QB Jared Goff, Saints Head Coach Sean Payton and QB Drew Brees Conference Calls (11-23-16)

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Post-Practice – November 23, 2016

(Opening remarks)

“We had a really good day today. The players, I thought, bounced back especially well yesterday afternoon, had a really good practice today. (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) was lights out today, which is good to see. We’ve got a tremendous challenge ahead of us in our opponent, number one offense in the league, they’re doing a lot of good things on defense, despite the numbers – so we’ve got a big challenge. The challenge is going to be placed on the defense and hopefully the offense will be able to score some points.

As our schedule unfolds, it gives the players an opportunity to spend time with the families tomorrow – which is important – and enjoy Thanksgiving and the holiday, and then we’ll head out to New Orleans on Friday.

We healed up. (DE) Will Hayes is not here today, just for personal reasons – it’s nothing related to Will himself, but he’s got some family stuff going on – and we’ll keep you up-to-date on that stuff. Most everybody practiced, it was a really good day. We’re excited about the health of this football team and the opportunity that’s ahead of us.”

(On if Hayes’ status for Sunday is in question)

“No, it’s a family illness that he was excused for. He’s fine. That’s more important than what we’re doing.”

(On any offensive personnel moves he is considering at this point)

“As I mentioned yesterday, it’s competitive, so I’m not going to go there. There may be a change or two.”

(On how much Goff was holding back on Sunday and if there were shots down the field that didn’t materialize)

“There were a couple opportunities that he missed, but that’s the case with every quarterback. Today, he was cutting it loose. He’s got a really good feel for it. Last week was his first week as our starter and against that good defense. But, man, this week, so far after two days of practice, he’s putting it down the field and doing some good things. He’s in complete control of what we’re doing, so it’s good to see, it’s very encouraging.”

(On what is missing for T Greg Robinson to click as a left tackle)

“The left tackle position is especially hard to play because week-in and week-out you face the best pass rusher. And then you’ve got to, not only face the best pass rusher, but you’ve also got to be effective in the run game. It’s a very complicated position to play. He’s got the talent level to do it, it’s just we’ve had some miscues over the last four-to-six weeks with some mistakes and some penalties and things like that. He’s determined. There’s no one else on this football team that will stand on their knees and throw a football 50 yards or do a backflip – he’s highly athletic and highly talented and can be a really good player for us, he just needs reps and needs time.”

(On what he says to TE Lance Kendricks when he has a penalty on the first play of the game)

“Well the first play of the game wasn’t Lance, it was ‘Higs’ (TE Tyler Higbee). The play-by-play said it was Lance, it wasn’t Lance, ‘Higs’ jumped. That’s why you have to keep penalties in perspective. Late in the game, yeah, we had a flinch. The defensive back jumped at him and he moved. You just have got to rep those things where you have to get used to someone jumping at you and starting and simulating the snap and not moving. Again, Lance had the opportunity to make the catch, the sun was in his eyes and he didn’t. But he’s made a lot of plays for us. He’s part of the whole offensive issues that we’re having there. Guys are making one mistake a game that are contributing to our inability to get the ball in the end zone. I’ve got confidence in Lance. When we grade the tape, his pluses certainly outweighed his minuses. And he’s doing the best he can, he’s not making mistakes on purpose. He’s a guy that comes in, studies, works, and prepares, and practices hard. We just have to eliminate some of those mistakes.”

(On if this is the best he’s seen WR Kenny Britt over the years)

“Yeah, it’s probably the best. Physically, he’s feeling better than he’s ever felt. He’s out every day at practice, he’s working, it’s important to him, he understands. I think you have to give a lot of credit to (passing game coordinator/wide receivers) coach (Mike) Groh, because Mike has done a really good job with Kenny. I’m hoping that Kenny finishes really strong in the second half of the season.”

Rams Offensive Coordinator Rob Boras – Post Practice – November 23, 2016

(On what can the team do to start scoring some points)

“That’s obviously something we’re constantly evaluating. We’ve started games relatively fast, scoring on our first or second possession. We just need to continue that same sort of momentum as the game continues. We know we have explosive playmakers with (Rcool smiley Todd (Gurley), and (WR) Kenny (Britt), and (WR) Tavon (Austin), and just continue finding ways to get those guys the ball, and then consistency, eliminating mistakes. It seems like about every step we take forward, we sometimes find a way to go two back. So, we’ve got to eliminate penalties, and overall just coach better, and play better.”

(On how confident he is in QB Jared Goff’s ability to make plays down the field)

“I think very confident. The thing with Jared – Jared had about, not every situation, but quite a few situations that came up in that game that don’t happen very often, the weather, he was backed up on our own one-yard line, a two-minute drive finishing with a Hail Mary, a four-minute drive. So, about every situation that’s going to come up over the course of a season, happened to come up in one game for him. I thought his demeanor, and the way he handled everything mentally was fantastic. To answer your question, obviously, we know what his arm talent is, and we understand that we have to be able to push the ball down the field to make some plays. He’s going to manage games for us, because that’s what quarterbacks have to do, regardless of their talent level. But, then he’s going to be able to make some plays down the field, and we’re very confident in this ability to do that, as well as our receivers and tight ends to make plays down the field, as well.”

(On if playing in a controlled environment can open up the passing game for Goff)

“It’s controlled other than the fact that it’s probably the second, if not the loudest stadium in the world. It’s going to be a lot different for him as compared to being at home with our own fans. When we were backed up on our own one yard line, we could hear the snap-count. At the Superdome, we’re not going to be able to hear it. It’s controlled weather-wise, but we’re dealing with a whole other factor with their fans down there, and the noise level. So, it’s going to be a little different.”

(On finding a balance to get the ball to WR Tavon Austin without forcing it to him)

“Yes, I think that would be true with any playmaker. Again, it goes hand-in-hand. He’s got to create separation, we’ve got to find a way to get it to him in space and let him use his ability for it, and at the same time not get it to him when everybody is expecting us to get it to him. We’re always trying to search for different ways to get him the ball, both on the perimeter as a receiver and the backfield in different ways. That’s something we’re constantly looking to do.”

(On if it’s a concern that he only had two targets last Sunday)

“Yes, and again, you look at Miami, and it’s what we expected. Miami came after us, so, there was a lot of other times when he was first in the progression, but they forced us to throw hot during third down. Jared had to get rid of the ball earlier than anticipated, and that’s just naturally how the flow of the game goes. That’s why, again, getting ‘Tav’ touches as a runner is another way to guarantee that we can try to get him the ball, as well.”

(On if the amount of short passes thrown were in effect to the deep ball not being there for Goff)

“It was a little bit of both. We took a shot early in the game. We wanted to make sure we protected him, and which we did, he got the one sack. But, with (DT Ndamukong) Suh, and with their defensive line and stuff, we wanted to make sure we took care of him and protected him, which we did. We had other shots called, but again, with pressures or such, he had to get the ball out of his hand so he wouldn’t take sacks or hits. So, I thought he managed that part of it well. But again, in our run-action game, or even in our drop-back game, that’s something obviously we’re going to be having to take advantage of, is his arm talent, and find a way.”

(On if he feels like the game plan has to open up more for the ball to move down the field)

“We’ve got to focus on what we can control, and right now we can’t control the Saints’ offense. We can try to control the Rams’ offense. We recognize the production Coach (Sean) Payton and (Qcool smiley Drew Brees have put up for years. We understand the challenge that’s there in front of us. But, we’ve got to focus on ourselves and righting our wrongs right now. Hopefully that comes hand-in-hand with putting points on the board, and finding a way to win.”

(On how much pressure he feels as the play-caller to get the offense flowing)

“It’s your job. It’s like that anytime it’s your job, no matter what you do in life. If things aren’t going well, whether you’re in sales, and you’re not making sales, or you’re coaching and you’re not scoring touchdowns, it’s frustrating. But again, the theme that we talk about all of the time is we’re in this thing together. It’s the offensive staff, it’s the offensive players, and we’re in this together, and we’re going got find a way. Obviously, it’s disappointing. I’m the man responsible for it, and we’re going to find a way to get it righted and get going in the right direction.”

(On if this is an opportunity for the offense to score some point against this particular defense)

“They’re a very talented defense. Their defensive coordinator Dennis Allen is a Gregg Williams disciples, so there’s a lot of similarities there. We know they’re aggressive. We’ve got to focus on what the Rams can do. We’re going to try to put ourselves in the best positions against the Saints defense, and try to find a way to get point on the board, and try to take advantage of our guys. It’s that same challenge every week, it’s just a different defense right now.”

Rams Quarterback Jared Goff – Post-Practice – November 23, 2016

(On why practice went so well today)

“Just letting it fly a little bit – throwing the ball around. It felt good. I thought everyone did a good job today. I thought we were really crisp. One of the sharpest practices I think we’ve had in a long time and it felt good.”

(On the rarity of it raining in Southern California and what he was thinking when it was raining on Sunday during his NFL debut)

“I played against USC in college and it was raining down here – kind of ironic. I wasn’t really fazed by it. I knew it was going to slow down, according to the weather report and it did. It was fine. It went hard for about 15 or 20 minutes.”

(On whether he feels that playing in a dome this Sunday will open him up to throwing the ball down field)

“Maybe a little bit. There will be no weather conditions obviously, in a dome. But most of the time down here, it’s pretty nice, don’t really have to worry about it anyways.”

(On wanting to make more throws down field and whether he feels he will have more of an opportunity to do so on Sunday given his performance at practice this week)

“Yeah, I sure hope so. We’ve got some good stuff in this week, got some really good playing going. Guys look really good, look fast. I think we have got a good chance to push the ball a little bit.”

(On how he thought his first NFL start went)

“I thought it was okay. There is obviously stuff I want back, stuff you would like to do better, and then there’s stuff you that you notice on film that you did pretty good – there’s a little bit both ways. But it was okay.”

(On why his ability to throw the deep ball wasn’t utilized in last Sunday’s game)

“It was raining early and we didn’t want to throw it deep, because it was raining. We took the lead, it stopped raining. We’re winning, we’re running the ball well, and our defense is playing great – we’re going to run the ball. That’s kind of how it went.”

(On why the offense chose not to go deep and open up the run game towards the end when they were up 10-7)

With three or four minutes left? I think we were trying to run a four minute offense. Unfortunately, we didn’t get the second first down and that would have probably sealed it. But I thought the coaches did a really good job.”

(On being put through everything in his first NFL game – rain etc.)

“Yeah, definitely a lot of stuff in there – with the weather as well as the defense they were running. It was good to see a lot of different stuff. They’re a tough defense. It was good to get some good stuff out of that.”

(On his pocket presence and how he felt he was able to navigate the type of pressure brought on by Miami’s defense)

“I felt good. I don’t know how many sacks there were. But it felt good – I felt like I tried to extend some plays and make some plays down field, I felt like I did an okay job of that.”

(On getting hit by an NFL player versus a college player and whether that experience in the NFL was any different than college after delivering a ball and getting hit)

“It hurts a little more. They’re a little bit bigger and a little bit stronger. But it was good – it was good.”

(On Saints QB Drew Brees and whether he was a player that he admired growing up)

“Definitely. Drew’s definitely a guy I grew up a fan of – a guy I like to take a lot of stuff from. Definitely looking forward to seeing him play.”

(On if he feels pressure to put up points going up against the number one offense in the league in the Saints)

“No. I think we’re just going to go out and do what we do. We need to put up more points than they do whatever that may be. I don’t know how many it’s going to be, but in order to win the game, that’s what you need to do. Hopefully we can go out and play well.”

(On what he notices from the Saints’ defense)

“They’re good. They mix it up. They run a lot of similar stuff to what our defense runs I think. There’s a lot of carryover – we’ve seen a lot of it, as well as they’ve seen a lot of our stuff through going against themselves. But it’s been good. They’re athletic, they’re long and they’re good at all three levels. It’s going to be a good challenge.”

(On whether he will utilize his scrambling ability as an asset and how that was not something he was known for in college)

“I hope not, I hope I don’t have to do that too often. I’ll use my athleticism if I need to.”

Saints Head Coach Sean Payton – Conference Call – November 23, 2016

(On his thoughts on how Rams Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams is doing after serving in the same role in New Orleans)

“I think he’s doing a great job. Really, when you follow his career as a defensive coordinator, he’s always had good defenses – you watch what they’re doing (and) in a short period of time, he’s been able to turn around a number of teams’ defenses. We’ve been grinding here, we’ve had a little bit of additional time, playing on a Thursday night, watching these guys. I think there are a number of things that concern you. Look, having had a chance to win a Super Bowl, that’s something that you’ll always remember.”

(On what the Rams’ defense has been doing well)

“Well, number one, I think their overall speed is something that you see on film. When you’ve got (LB Alec) Ogletree and (LB/S Mark) Barron, the front, of course, when you look at guys like (DE Robert) Quinn and (DT Aaron) Donald, I think they’re playing extremely well outside, as well, at the corner positions. You just see the speed and their scoring defense, which is really what it’s all about, is right at the top of the league. Everything you’re trying to do offensively, you’ve got to earn.”

(On if he thinks the way the Rams gave up their last two drives against the Dolphins, looked like fatigue or if there was something else at play)

“The whole game, basically, both sides of the ball, did a good job – it became a field position game. One of the things that – and having been through it ourselves here in our league – is those two-score leads, or just under two-score leads, can diminish quickly with just a handful of plays. We went through it ourselves at Carolina, Oakland earlier in the year, Kansas City the same way. Rarely, when the game’s end on each weekend, do you see the mend where a team is grinding it out at the four or five-minute mark. Typically, there’s a two-minute drill to win or lose a game. This is the first weekend this year where we were able to watch the games. I’m not really someone who gets used to watching a Red Zone channel, but all these games are finishing in or about the same time. So many of them, four of them this weekend, they’re going back-and-forth and this game is finishing, someone is depending (on) the two-minute, someone’s in a two-minute, needing a field goal, protecting a seven-point lead. It’s really pretty amazing.”

(On if he expected this type of production from WR Michael Thomas)

“When you select someone in the second round, you’re hopeful you’re getting a contributor right away. We spent a lot of time on him as a player and he’s very competitive. I think he does a good job after the catch, and each week, both he and (WR) Vonn Bell – those guys coming out of Ohio State really compete and practice hard. You’re hopeful, I think when you’re drafting someone early like that, that they can come in and contribute right away, and fortunately he’s been able to do that.”

(On if his pass-catching ability comes natural or is it something he had to learn)

“You hope when you draft a receiver in the second round, you’re not teaching them how to catch. Obviously, you’re going to spend time a lot on technique. I think the thing that a lot of these college players find out is how much it’s changed in regards to the takeaways, and defenses now do such a good job of getting the ball out. He learned the hard way in a tough game versus Denver where he had a couple of fumbles in back-to-back series. But, I would say since the beginning of rookie-camp, mini-camp, and training camp, him securing, or locating, or catching the ball both down the field and in the shorter and intermediate routes would be a strength of his.”

(On if is the same QB Drew Brees of years past, or is he adding new elements to his game and preparation)

“The seasons kind of run together, and they can. But his weekly preparation, how he takes care of himself, his nutrition, all of the things – be it on Mondays and Tuesdays, the amount of film he watches, grinding through the game plan. One of the things that’s lost sometimes with a veteran quarterback like him is the number of players he’s worked with at receiver, at tight end, at running back. We were just making a correction on the field today with Mike Thomas, who’s a rookie ‘X’. I turned to him and I said, ‘Hey, when you play 16 years, you find yourself training and involved with the process with a lot of players that are affecting your own performance.’ I think his preparation, his skillset, and the way he takes of himself, all of it, has lent itself to a steady and healthy career.”

(On the main difference in the Saints defense compared to last season)

“I’d say there’s a handful of things. We’ve evolved ourselves with just our depth at linebacker and safety. I think more recent – I was expecting you to ask what’s been the difference I the last three or four weeks compared to the start of the season – we’ve been better in the red area and better on third downs. I think you’re still really working on that takeaway number and I think we’re finally starting to get healthy. There was an early part of the season where we were really banged up at corner and we were playing a couple rookies. One first year player, (DT) Sheldon Rankins is now back – it’s good to have him out on the field and contributing. The overall health has improved. Early on we were nicked up, especially the early part of the season.”

(On DT Nick Fairley’s contribution to the defensive line)

“He’s athletic. He can rush the passer. I think last week against Carolina, he had some really good snaps. He’s someone that always has had good movement skills. I think he’s a good teammate and a guy who wants to work. For us, it’s been a good addition this year. ”

(On DE Cameron Jordan’s development over the course of his career)

“He’s one of those guys that has really good stamina. When you play in the front or defensive line – that’s a challenging position to play with the energy down-in and down-out – each team you’ll see gets in a rotation. But I would say that both in the run and the pass, he’s a guy we feel like is disruptive and he’s a smart player. Is a guy that can handle a lot of snaps, I think that’s been a real good trait for him.”

Saints QB Drew Brees – Conference Call – November 23, 2016

(On what stands out to him regarding the Rams’ defense)

“The first thing is the D-line, and really the front seven. They’re really good against the run, really good against the pass, just in regards to the disruption. Obviously, they’ve got some really, really good players in that front seven. I look at the last four games, those guys have only gave up less than 17 points a game. They’re playing really good football.”

(On the growth of Saints rookie WR Michael Thomas)

“It’s been unbelievable. He’s just slowly and steadily, from week-to-week, you just kind of see the light bulb come on. Obviously, we’ve been able to give him more and more each week. I think in the beginning, it was just kind of – I think you’re still finding out a lot about each other, and you’re trying to see the things he does best. I’m glad we’re able to open up the playbook for him, and incorporate him in a lot of things. I feel like our whole receiving core can really do some great things. So we mix and match quite a bit; personnel groups, we rotate a lot of guys through. Everybody going to the game, those who didn’t have opportunities as we gameplan throughout the week, I think guys just feel like man, you never know who’s game it’s going to be. But, they all know that each of them is as big a part of our success as the next guy. It’s really a great group, a very unselfish group. They work, they’re extremely competitive, they love football, and it makes me excited to come to work every day.”

(On going against Rams Defensive Coordinator Gregg Williams and his defense)

“I think Gregg is extremely talented. He’s had great defenses wherever he’s been. He always has those guys ready to play. He plays a great scheme. Obviously, being with him here for three years, he did a great job with our defense for those three years. I think you’re always in a position where it’s kind of expect the unexpected a little bit with him, just because he’s capable of a lot of different things within the scheme, it’s going to be pretty multiple at times. They’re very good at what they do.”

(On if there is anything different for him this season that he’s added to his game or things he might be doing differently)

“I always try to fine-tune throughout the year – really, every offseason. I take a look at the season before. I take a look at my routine and my process and the ways that I’m taking care of my body and the ways that I’m training, and all those things. I just try to fine-tune and constantly improve. Every year, I feel like I’m getting more information, I’ve got great a great group of people around me – people that are great mentors of mine that I can seek out every offseason to develop that process. I just carry that with me throughout the season. There’s not a whole lot of things differently I do now that I did 10 years ago. It’s a lot of the same stuff, as far as taking care of my body, taking care of my shoulder, my rest and recovery, my film study and my preparation, all those things.”

(On advice he has for Rams QB Jared Goff)

“It’s an exciting time. I didn’t start as a rookie. I played in one game my rookie season. I had the chance to compete and then I started my second year. Starting quarterback in the NFL, there’s only 32 of them. Each week is such a grind, such a battle, as you think about preparing for an opponent. It’s an exciting time.”

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/23/2016 03:56PM by Shaky.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

TRANSCRIPT: Rams HCFisher, OCBoras, QBGoff, Saints HCPayton QBBrees 11-23-16

Shaky579November 23, 2016 03:54PM