Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Well, first of all, I like your definition.

October 05, 2016 05:05PM
Rams43
Saguaro
That's comprehensive, and sounds right to me.

I certainly don't agree about everyone on the list. Obviously, a player chosen in the 1st round or even high in the 1st round has to achieve at a VERY high level in order to be a "steal" at that point. Donald would qualify, but I'm not sure if any others would, except maybe Quinn.

My responses.

Keenum - No
Gurley - No, not considering he was a #10 overall.
Benny Cunningham - Yes
Barnes - No
Wichmann - Not yet
Hayes - Yes
Donald - YES
Easley - Yes
Quinn - Yes, if his back holds up.
Ogletree - No, not for a 1st round pick
Barron - Yes, 1st rounder for Bucs, but a steal in trade for the Rams.
TruJo - Yes
Gaines - Totally Yes
Troy Hill - Too early to say
Hekker - YES!, as in possible HOF'er from a UDFA!
Zuerlein - No, not when compared to draft round most kickers are taken
McQuaide - Very Reliable, but no. Same comment as Z. Even good LS'ers are often from the undrafted pile.

I agree that the term "steal" is a bit subjective as I use it, Sag.

Nevertheless, here's my rebuttal...

Keenum. A starting QB for the last 9 games with a 6-3 record. We reacquired for a future 7th round pick. Incredible value.
Gurley. Never should have still been there at #10 in a hindsight draft. OROY and All Pro. Needs better scheming and blocking this year, but is a stud.
Barnes. Two year starting C. Acquired as a UDFA.
Wichmann. Starting OG for basically last 8-9 games. A 6th round pick.
Ogletree. Never should have still been there at #30 overall. Quality starter from day one. Near Pro Bowler.
Troy Hill. Beat out Sensabaugh, then started until Gaines returned. Played very well. Acquired via UFA.
Zuerlein. Outstanding PK, other than '15. Perfect this year. A 6th rounder.
McQuaide. Been perfect since he's been here. I don't recall a single bad snap in 4+ years! Plus, he's often around the tackle on coverage units. Acquired as a UDFA.

Sooooo...

I stand by my original list. Ever one. Lol.

I agree with you on Keenum, Gurley, Barnes, Wichman, and Hill.

If not for Gurley's injury, he would have been a top 3 pick. Anytime you get a starter out of a UDFA or really late round draft pick, then that's a steal almost by definition. So for me, that automatically includes Barnes, Wichman, and Hill.

But Ogletree I see it differently. A quality starter, and near Pro Bowler from a late 1st round pick is pretty common. The quality starter should be expected; the near Pro Bowl performance isn't far enough outside the range of reasonable expectations to be considered a steal. It may be a good deal but calling it a steal is too strong.

Zeurlein has had too much inconsistency for me to be willing to label him a steal. 2015 wasn't his only bad year. He's struggled in other years and especially in some key clutch situations. Besides I believe the 6th round is the draft pick range where most kickers come from.

I don't have the energy to expound on a LS, but I don't consider him a steal either just b/c of the position.

Sag agreed with you on Tru, but I disagree with both of you and would make the same argument on him as I did regarding Ogletree. He's a very good player but is that rare for a 3rd rounder? Tru is the equivalent of getting a 15% discount at Nordstroms. That's good and would make one happy with the purchase but it doesn't rise to the level of "steal."

But if your overall point is to highlight the good job that Snead has done, I'm in full agreement.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

So, how many "steals" do the Rams have on their roster?

Rams43719October 05, 2016 11:47AM

we should be renamed the Pirates....

Rampage2K-399October 05, 2016 11:53AM

Well, first of all, I like your definition.

Saguaro321October 05, 2016 12:34PM

Every so often I have to check up on you guys...

JamesJM299October 05, 2016 12:45PM

Without looking it up, my memory said Z in the 6th. Or was it 7th? nm

Saguaro308October 05, 2016 12:48PM

Yeah, what a surprise.

JamesJM215October 05, 2016 12:51PM

No clue. nm

Saguaro302October 05, 2016 12:54PM

It was a trick question... they didn't have one...

JamesJM278October 05, 2016 01:01PM

Rams43325October 05, 2016 01:02PM

I think the jury is out on Gurley

RamUK355October 05, 2016 01:08PM

On Keenum

LesBaker331October 05, 2016 02:30PM

dzrams398October 05, 2016 05:05PM

Rams43273October 05, 2016 06:49PM

Re: So, how many "steals" do the Rams have on their roster?

zn320October 05, 2016 02:19PM