Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: you don't make big changes on a 3-1 team

October 05, 2016 12:43PM
Rams_81
1) Put Robinson at Guard

You can fix the guard problem by moving Robinson to Guard. Put him in position where there is less thinking. Than you don't have to keep a runningback or tight end in on his side for help at tackle as well.

2) If you do #1, you need a new left tackle.

You need somebody reliable, not great. It more important to go 20-20 and block ok but carry out the assignments than to go 18-20, but blow up 2 drives with big mistakes at the left tackle position.

3) Agree on the top WR. That changes everything if they have to account for somebody. There are plays now that they don't even cover Rams WR. The disrespect is off the charts. Britt has a good statistical year going, but that will end as soon as they actually cover him.

4) Replace the offensive coaching staff. Whatever they are doing, which seems to be some primitive backward offense, hasn't worked. Players are not developed. Hence #32 last year and #32 this year. Get somebody in here to see if Goff is a going to be a player and is just being slowed down by this offensive coaching staff or if the Rams just made a drafting mistake. Get the defense guessing again my adding some plays and formations that the other #31 teams run.

The defense is off the charts right now. I don't understand how every defensive back on defense seems to develop regardless where they were drafted but our WRs never develop.

Re: the offense I think we are seeing signs of this unit coming online. They are getting scheme-based advantages from Boras in his play design, and the last two games they produced in tough environments in Tampa and then Arizona. I know 17 points isn't great, but in Arizona vs a team that needed that win it was a big deal the way they got that done.

No way I'd adjust anything just yet. Boras is a rookie OC who has done some good things and we're 3-1, so Fish just needs to keep the press on the guy and ride him as far as he can and hope he develops just like you would a player. Groh came in to an underwhelming group and all of a sudden Britt looks like a 1k yard receiver and even Quick is having a resurgence. Before he was hurt the kid Cooper looked like he had grasped things pretty well.

The only thing you mentioned above that I think you might be onto something with is Robinson. I'm not sure the guy is going to hold onto that position if the rest of the line continues to grow. He might even be relegated to the bench. I mean does he deserve to start at LG when he just got pulled in favor of Saffold (who will be the guy who replaces him, we can bank that)? Why not stick Brown in there at LG instead? He has struggled a bit in the pass, but is probably overall a smarter player who won't be a liability on the interior rushes. And then you don't have to worry about Robinson regressing even more because you asked him to actually study another position. I don't think his fragile psyche could handle that.

Re: the DB development it is the coaching. And it's also the effect of having a good DC in place for a few years to where guys come in to a stable environment where everyone knows what is expected, everyone knows the scheme, where we now have strong vets like Donald and Tree who are challenging the young guys, etc.

Either way though there's a lot of good in this team still, and making the big type changes you allude to above for the most part would not be a good thing when the team is 3-1. I was ready to throw Fish to the wolves after that first game, but after the last three I will admit I just let it get to me. Let's wait and see how they do the next few games IMO.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My wish list for the Rams

RockRam718October 05, 2016 02:57AM

Move Robinson to Guard

Rams_81437October 05, 2016 03:06AM

Yes; long overdue NM

Ram49381October 05, 2016 11:18AM

Re: you don't make big changes on a 3-1 team

merlin286October 05, 2016 12:43PM

Re: 49! Its been a while

Speed_Kills210October 06, 2016 08:34AM

Re: My wish list for the Rams