Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams defensive line takes over again

September 26, 2016 10:20AM
Rams' defensive line takes over again
By Alden Gonzalez

[www.espn.com]

TAMPA, Fla. -- In their first win, the unit delivered nine hits and a couple of sacks against Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson. In their second, it caused a fumble returned 77 yards and came up with the decisive blow against Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston.

The Los Angeles Rams' defensive line has been as advertised, even while short-handed.

Sunday's 37-32 win saw Eugene Sims get ejected for unsportsmanlike conduct three minutes into the second quarter and two Rams starters -- William Hayes and Michael Brockers -- leave and subsequently return with minor injuries. Rams coach Jeff Fisher called the circumstances "about as hard as you can ask of them" and said he was "really impressed with the tenacity, the effort and the enthusiasm."

The two signature plays were created by Robert Quinn, the two-time Pro Bowl defensive end who missed eight games last season with an aching back.

With L.A. leading by four and the Bucs at the Rams' 13-yard line early in the fourth quarter, Quinn came around the edge and stripped the ball from Winston. Backup defensive lineman Ethan Westbrooks, prompted to play almost the entirety of the game, picked it up and ran untouched up the sideline to give his Rams a two-score lead.

"Before that play, I really hadn’t done anything in the game," Quinn said. "It was a crucial moment."

A bigger one came moments later, with the Rams clinging to a five-point lead, the ball on their own 15-yard line and four seconds remaining. Winston couldn't find an open receiver, thought about running, passed the line of scrimmage and was brought to the ground by Quinn, who came up from behind to end the game.

"I thought he was going to take off running for the touchdown," Quinn said, "but I saw him pull up, looking to the end zone, and I gave every effort I had to try to get to him."

Kevin Demoff @kdemoff
What a great road win for @RamsNFL. A true team victory. I can feel it coming back again like rollin thunder chasing the wind. I can feel it
6:32 PM - 25 Sep 2016 · Tampa, FL, United States

The Rams hit Winston six times from behind the line of scrimmage Sunday. They have made contact with an opposing quarterback on 23 occasions, fourth-most in the NFL when Monday began. It isn't just star defensive tackle Aaron Donald, who added two tackles for loss in Week 3. Or even fellow starters Quinn, Brockers and Hayes. It's the second unit that frequently rotates in, which includes Sims, Westbrooks, Cam Thomas and Dominique Easley.

It's everyone.

"There’s no letup when guys come in," Brockers said. "That’s the biggest part -- when the starters go off and then the rotational guys come back in, it’s still dominant football."
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams defensive line takes over again

RamBill506September 26, 2016 10:20AM