Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Friendly Competition Helping Both Keenum, Goff Improve

August 04, 2016 08:46PM
Myles Simmons

[www.therams.com]

It’s hard to train your replacement.

You can say that about any profession. Blue collar, white collar, sports — it doesn’t matter. When an individual sees someone is coming to take his or her job, usually an inherent defense mechanism arises. It’s a natural human instinct.

But there are exceptions to the rule, and the Rams appear to have one in their quarterbacks room. Even though Case Keenum is Los Angeles’ incumbent starter, he’s apparently embraced the role of being a mentor and guide to No. 1 overall pick Jared Goff.

Going back to OTAs, there appeared to be a mutual respect between the two QBs. That seems to have only increased as the two players began their first training camp together.

Keenum was particularly complimentary of Goff at camp check-in last Thursday.

“I really like Jared. I think he’s a great football player, but he’s a great person too,” Keenum said. “I’m excited to see what he brings to the team, to the quarterback room. He’s very, very talented. He came in that way. So I’m excited to see where he’s going to grow and what he’s going to be able to accomplish in this league. He’ll play for a long time.”

But it’s more than that. Keenum said he’s willing to be a resource for anything Goff needs when it comes to learning the offense and reaching his full potential, supplementing what the rookie receives from offensive coordinator Rob Boras and quarterbacks coach Chris Weinke.

“I’m going to help him when I can,” Keenum said. “I don’t want to overload it with stuff, but if he needs something, I’m definitely going to be somebody — whether my advice is good or what — but I’ll lend him some advice when I need to.”

For anyone in the position of Keenum, this is fairly unusual — a fact not lost on Goff.

“I didn’t know what to expect coming in, and it’s been far and away more than I could’ve ever expected from somebody like him — the way he’s helped me, treated me, and brought me in, helped me with anything,” Goff said. “If I’ve got a question, I’ll go to him and he’s going to help me.”

And even when Goff isn’t seeking out Keenum’s advice, sometimes the Houston product will be proactive in making sure the former Cal quarterback is picking up the offense properly.

“He’ll ask me little things to keep me on my toes — just stuff like that,” Goff said. “He’s been really good and really helpful, and one of the best teammates I’ve ever had.”

One of the best teammates he’s ever had? Yes, that’s atypical for one quarterback trying to unseat another. But it’s part of the culture head coach Jeff Fisher has tried to foster within the team.

“Well I’d like to think that it’s top-to-bottom and that’s important,” Fisher said of Goff’s comments on Keenum. “And it’s important around the league, but especially important here. They have grown closer together, they’re patient but focused. So I’d like to think that they all would talk about each other like that.”

But it also says something about Goff that he’s willing to take the coaching and advice of his peer. Even though competition can put a strain on a relationship, Keenum said all that’s made easier when you’re working with good people.

“And he’s good people,” Keenum said. “So we’re trying to make each other better.

“The way I’ve always seen it is, I don’t want him to do bad. I want him to do good,” Keenum continued. “When I’m competing with someone, I want my best to be better than his. And that’s just how I’ve been. I’m not wishing bad for anybody. I want him to do well, but I want to do well as well.”

And so when it comes to the Rams’ quarterbacks, it’s a friendly competition — emphasis on friendly.

“Anytime anybody’s doing well, it’s exciting for our team. It makes our team better,” Keenum said. “He’s doing well, it pushes me. I’m doing well, it pushes him. And I think that’s what competition is about — making each other better. And in turn, that’ll make the team better.”
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill1059August 04, 2016 08:46PM

Florio: Goff Won’t Necessarily Get Starting QB Role –Video

RamBill485August 05, 2016 04:23AM

Building Up Trade Value

JamesHarrisFanClub542August 05, 2016 06:03AM

Re: Building Up Trade Value

Rams43467August 05, 2016 06:27AM

JamesHarrisFanClub497August 05, 2016 06:53AM

remember when we hade Bulger behind Warner?

SunTzu_vs_Camus430August 05, 2016 09:53AM

dzrams432August 05, 2016 09:59AM