Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Alec Ogletree embracing new roles, as middle linebacker, dad

August 04, 2016 12:17PM
By Steve Dilbeck

[www.espn.com]

IRVINE, Calif. -- Alec Ogletree has had what you might call an eventful offseason.

When the 2015 season ended the Rams decided to move him from outside linebacker to the middle. All he had to do was replace James Laurinaitis, the leading tackler in team history.

Linebacker Alec Ogletree is beginning his fourth season with the Rams.
Then the team moved from St. Louis to Los Angeles. Or rather to Los Angeles via Cal Lutheran in Thousand Oaks, to Oxnard for offseason workouts, to UC Irvine for training camp, and then when camp ends, back to Cal Lutheran for their temporary training facility.

Then last week, he became a father for the first time.

"With moving, changing positions to having a baby -- it’s a lot," Ogletree said.

Now all the moving has ebbed and new parents are finding joy with the birth of Austin Ogletree.

And the transition to middle linebacker?

"It’s been seamless," Rams coach Jeff Fisher said. "He really has a great understanding of the defense. He’s making all the calls and taking on that leadership role over. He’s off to a great start."

The 6-foot-2, 245-pound Ogletree is beginning his fourth season with the Rams. He has started all 36 games he’s appeared in. He led the team in tackles his first two seasons, but saw 2015 end at four games with a season-ending ankle injury.

He stepped up his conditioning and study habits in the offseason as he prepared to make the transition. Early on, he’s liking the way it’s going.

"I like the middle position a lot more, because I can see both sides of the ball," he said. "If you’re playing on the (outside), you’re kind of cut off from half of the offense. In the middle I can see both sides, I can see who's looking and what they might do, and I feel get to the ball a lot faster."

Former UCLA linebacker Akeem Ayers is to start at strongside linebacker and Mark Barron at weakside linebacker. Ayers is in his sixth season and Barron his fifth.

"We’re just having fun," Ogletree said. "It helps me out a lot that most of the guys have been here for at least three years. So you don’t have to harp on the learning the play book all day and learning the position."
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

RamBill641August 04, 2016 12:17PM