Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Versatility makes Rodger Saffold a valuable commodity on Ram

August 03, 2016 07:56PM
Versatility makes Rodger Saffold a valuable commodity on Rams offensive line

By RICH HAMMOND / STAFF WRITER

[www.ocregister.com]

IRVINE – All of this relocation stuff is nothing new for Rams offensive lineman Rodger Saffold, who has done it on a near-annual basis.

Saffold’s moves haven’t been from city to city, but merely within the line, from tackle to guard to back again. The distinction might seem subtle, but the skill sets are quite different and Saffold, preparing for his seventh NFL season, has become invaluable to the Rams because of his versatility.

During the first week of training camp at UC Irvine, Saffold moved to right tackle from left guard, where he started last season. Rob Havenstein, the Rams’ usual right tackle, is dealing with a foot injury.

“It’s actually the third time around that I’ve kind of had to switch up at the last minute, before camp or before a game,” Saffold said. “I’m used to it. You’ve just got to take more time to work on technique, just to try to make it second nature. I’ve always got to get back on the bike and ride again.”

Saffold broke in as the Rams’ starting left tackle in 2010, then started at right guard and right tackle in 2013 and broke in at left guard in 2014. That’s where Saffold remained until last October, when he suffered a season-ending shoulder injury.

Saffold returned to action for the start of optional workouts in June, and reclaimed his spot at left guard, but when Havenstein started camp on the physically unable to perform list, Saffold didn’t flinch.

“He has done a lot for us,” Coach Jeff Fisher said Wednesday. “With Rob missing time right now, we decided before the start of camp and notified him that we would move him out to right tackle. He said, ‘Cool.’ He just loves it. He will play any position but center. So it gives us the flexibility and peace of mind, knowing that if we do have an issue, we can plug him in any place.”

Cody Wichmann, who started at left guard after Saffold’s injury last season, has reclaimed that spot, but Fisher indicated that Havenstein should be back before the start of the regular season.

Until then, the Rams are fine. The offensive line struggled in the first two days of practice, but when the team put on full shoulder pads Tuesday, the line improved. Left tackle Greg Robinson had difficulty dealing with the Rams’ fierce defensive front, but Saffold looked steady on the right side.

“Because I’ve been focused on guard for so long, it’s kind of hard to get it all gone in six weeks,” Saffold said. “Hopefully coming back will be like riding a bike, kind of like how playing tackle is now. It’s always a challenge, and I feel like I do better with challenges. Under pressure, I’m a lot better.”

PERSPECTIVE GAINED

Coty Sensabaugh, signed as a free agent by the Rams in March, has been in the rotation at cornerback, the latest move in what has been a notable year.

Sensabaugh got married in May and, instead of a traditional honeymoon, he and his wife, Dominique, made a five-day mission trip to the Dominican Republic to distribute shoes to needy children through the “Soles 4 Souls” program. Sensabaugh said he plans to make a similar mission trip each summer.

“It was awesome, just how grateful they were and how they didn’t have anything, but they had everything,” he said. “The community just accepted us and we took care of each other.”

TIME TO REST

The Rams get a league-mandated day off Thursday, then return to UC Irvine on Friday, then have an open practice at the Coliseum on Saturday at 3 p.m. Free tickets are available through Ticketmaster.

“Things have gone fast, but from a health standpoint, we’re in good shape,” Fisher said.

Rookie receiver Pharoh Cooper missed a second consecutive practice with a quad injury. Cornerback E.J. Gaines, returning from a foot injury, had increased reps with the first team Wednesday but “came up a little bit lame at the end of practice,” Fisher said.

BIRTHDAY BOY

Rams running back Todd Gurley turned 25 on Wednesday. Fans serenaded him in song after practice and teammates Tavon Austin and Trumaine Johnson hit Gurley in the face with a towel full of cake or pie.

Contact the writer: rhammond@scng.com
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Versatility makes Rodger Saffold a valuable commodity on Ram

RamBill1158August 03, 2016 07:56PM

Re: Versatility makes Rodger Saffold a valuable commodity on Ram

MamaRAMa580August 03, 2016 09:32PM

Re: Rodger Saffold

leafnose503August 04, 2016 04:02AM

Re: Rodger Saffold

SoCalRAMatic473August 04, 2016 05:21AM

Reynolds.

RustyRay420August 04, 2016 08:08AM