Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rookies Duke Williams and Aaron Green stand out in special teams practice

August 01, 2016 02:17PM

By Steve Dilbeck

[espn.go.com]

IRVINE, Calif. -- Special teams isn't the glory way to make an NFL team. It's not the road taken by high draft picks or big-time free agents.

It's something of a backdoor, a way to earn an NFL roster spot far from the spotlight, when only coaches a few players are really watching.

The Los Angeles Rams had their first practice in pads Monday, but it was for special teams only. A time for those desperate to make a roster to demonstrate toughness, speed and plain effort.

"That's how players make the team, especially young guys," cornerback Trumaine Johnson said. "This is the most exciting practice for me, to see what young guys step up.

"It's the first day in pads, so you know it's going to be physical. It was fun out here to seem some young guys get to work."

Many a successful player began his NFL career shedding blockers or clearing paths for returners, and then went on to individual success. When it comes time to make those final cuts, a player who has stood out in special teams is often going to earn the nod.

Rams special teams coordinator John Fassel said coach Jeff Fisher has consistently made an ability to play on punts and kicks a priority in personnel decisions.

"If it's a toss-up at a certain position -- offensively or defensively -- then the trump card is special teams," Fassel said. "We've been fortunate the last couple of years that coach Fisher recognized that and picks the guy out who looks like might have the potential to play 25 snaps a game on special teams. Three, four, five guys a year find that role and then perform."

A couple may have singled themselves out Monday, particularly with a one-on-one drill with a blocker lining up next to a player pursing a dummy returner. Receiver Duke Williams and running back Aaron Green -- both rookie free agents -- had nice moments.

"I liked Duke," Johnson said. "A big receiver. I like Duke a lot. I was about to go out there at one time and go get him."

Tavon Austin, who is 5-foot-8, was impressed by Duke and Green, who's listed at 5-11.

"Duke is kind of a quiet guy," Austin said. "With pads on, he was loud today.

"And 36, the running back (Green), he showed me. He's really short, but he fights. Just like 2-0 (5-8 defensive back Lamarcus Joyner) and myself."

Johnson was selected in the third round of the 2012 draft, but still came to camp hoping to win a spot on special teams.

"I came to the league and my mindset was to play special teams," he said. "I took pride in that."

Austin said he could clearly remember his first day in pads when players tried to separate themselves on special teams.

"There are people waiting to see who has some fight in them," he said.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams Practice Report 8/1: First Day in Pads-Special Teams

RamBill1398August 01, 2016 02:11PM

RamBill689August 01, 2016 02:17PM

Re: Rookies Duke Williams and Aaron Green stand out in special teams practice

Rampage2K-664August 01, 2016 04:24PM

Rams43558August 01, 2016 05:31PM

David Deacon574August 02, 2016 01:49AM