Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rams 53 man roster predictions: Tight Ends...

July 25, 2016 09:42AM
By: Jake Ellenbogen | 2 hours ago
In this series we will be predicting and breaking down each position, while getting down to the full 53-man roster. Here is our early pre-training camp roster, and we are going to delve into the tight end position.

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

2016 Rams training camp battles: Lance Kendricks vs. Tyler Higbee
Total tight ends (6): Lance Kendricks, Tyler Higbee, Cory Harkey, Temarrick Hemingway, Justice Cunningham and Benson Browne
Jun 16, 2016; Oxnard, CA, USA; Los Angeles Rams tight ends coach John Lilly (left) and tight end Tyler Higbee (89) at organized team activities at the River Ridge Fields. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

Tight ends who will make the cut (4): Lance Kendricks, Tyler Higbee, Cory Harkey and Temarrick Hemingway
Positions only become more difficult to predict as the season comes upon us. On one hand you have two rookie tight ends that were just drafted and on the other you have veteran Cory Harkey who is an avid-blocking tight end and is one the best overall teammates on the roster.

I fully expect Kendricks to start out as the main starting tight end. However, as you saw in full force last season, the Rams do use dual tight end sets. I imagine Higbee and Kendricks would be the dual tight ends and maybe even Hemingway. Speaking of Hemingway, many around the Rams universe seem to believe he could be the odd man out.

I find it too hard to believe the Rams would cut a guy that has the abilities Hemingway does. Even though I personally believe he could have been a wide receiver talent, but Hemingway will thrive in some capacity. The Rams have built themselves a nice line of tight ends.

Tight ends cut (2): Justice Cunningham and Benson Browne
Cunningham has seen the Rams active roster before. While Cunningham is a solid contributor as a blocker he just doesn’t bring enough all-around talent that the rest of the guys bring to the table. Cunningham could very well be in line for another stint on the practice squad.

The Rams basically yanked Browne onto the offseason roster. Unfortunately for Brown, he is probably going to get yanked off the same roster. He could also be in line for a practice squad stint. Since it’s highly unlikely the Rams put two tight ends on the practice squad. Watch out for a mini battle between Browne and Cunningham.

Most pivotal training camp battle at the position: Tyler Higbee vs Temarrick Hemingway
Yes I know I just wrote about the battle between Higbee and Kendricks but the bottom line is this. Higbee needs to get past Hemingway first. Kendricks will likely be off the team in a couple of years so it really will be between these two for the starting gig.

Higbee seems like the odds on favorite based off his refined skill set, bigger body and his draft position. That doesn’t mean you can just write off the other tight end. Hemingway as I previously wrote compares eerily similar to the Carolina Panthers young star WR Kelvin Benjamin. If Hemingway shines in camp the Rams might think twice about benching Hemingway and Higbee could be forced to take the back seat.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Rams 53 man roster predictions: Tight Ends...

Rams431003July 25, 2016 09:42AM

Good read

six2stack547July 25, 2016 12:35PM