Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

McVay likes what he’s seen from Corbett at OC, Evans at RG...

May 28, 2021 06:03AM
Sean McVay likes what he's seen from Austin Corbett at center, Bobby Evans at RG

[theramswire.usatoday.com]

Skyler Carlin

Throughout the 2021 NFL draft, fans of the Los Angeles Rams were puzzled to see the team neglect taking a single offensive lineman, especially after losing Austin Blythe in free agency. Despite the uproar from fans, Sean McVay seems confident in the guys they have, and the fifth-year head coach believes Austin Corbett is best suited to start at center for the offense in 2021.

Corbett has been taking first-team reps at center during OTAs and McVay had some encouraging things to say about him Thursday.

“Austin is somebody that we’re excited to see how he handles some of the things that really require some extra communication. He’s done a good job with that,” McVay said, via the Los Angeles Daily News. “I think he and Matthew have established a nice rapport together.”

McVay said Brian Allen and Coleman Shelton will also compete for the starting center spot, but Corbett seems to have a leg up on them after a strong season as a starter at right guard in 2020.

When the Rams were on the clock in the second round of the draft, they had an opportunity to select Creed Humphrey out of Oklahoma to fill what was assumed to be a need for the franchise. Instead of adding Humphrey, they took Tutu Atwell, showing that McVay and Les Snead are adamant about having someone familiar with the offense operate the center position.

Bobby Evans was also taking first-team reps at right guard in practice, which indicates he could be the favorite to start there.

“I think the overall athleticism that Bobby has enables him to be able to play outside (at tackle) with his length and his size, but then he’s got the quickness when things happen a little bit faster on the interior parts of the line, (and he’s) a really smart player,” McVay said.

With the acquisition of Matthew Stafford this offseason, protecting their new franchise quarterback is a major priority. Amid the turnover that has taken place, McVay is confident in the outlook of the current offensive line unit.

“I feel good about where we’re at right now, and it’s a never-ending process,” McVay said of the offensive line.

Things could change in the coming months during training camp and the preseason along the offensive line. But for the time being, the Rams seem set on their starting offensive line of Andrew Whitworth, David Edwards, Corbett, Evans, and Rob Havenstein.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

McVay likes what he’s seen from Corbett at OC, Evans at RG...

Rams43513May 28, 2021 06:03AM

Corbett at OC

moklerman284May 28, 2021 07:34AM

Maybe C can be seen as captain?

Ram_Ruler141May 28, 2021 07:56AM

Re: Maybe C can be seen as captain?

moklerman147May 28, 2021 07:59AM

Re: Corbett at OC

21Dog138May 28, 2021 08:50AM

I think Stafford's input will matter

Paco70391May 28, 2021 11:23AM

Re: I think Stafford's input will matter