Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - October 15, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell and DL Aaron Donald

October 16, 2020 12:20AM
Los Angeles Rams Transcripts -
October 15, 2020
Head Coach Sean McVay, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell and
DL Aaron Donald

Head Coach Sean McVay
(On any updates on LB Micah Kiser)
“There's really no update. We haven't practiced yet.”

(On if LB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo was placed on injured reserve)
“Not yet. We'll probably make a move in the next day or so.”

(On how he approaches a familiar, divisional opponent)
“I mean, we have a lot of respect for these guys. I think when you look at the way that some of their games have unfolded, this is a very good football team there. We know how capable they are. They got great players on all three phases and they're very well coached. So, I think with five games, I think you can kind of let some of the numbers mislead you as far as their record. When you look at the way they played against Arizona opening weekend, that could've gone either way. They had two great games against both those teams from New York. Then, the Philly game could have gone either way. They had kind of an outlier against the Dolphins but fighting through some injuries. It was kind of one of those deals where everything was going perfect for the Dolphins and those things kind of can happen. But I don't think that's at all reflective of what a quality team this is. We’ve got to be ready to go this week.”

(On his evaluation of the defense)
“I think they’ve played really well in all of the second halves. I think they’ve made great adjustments. I've been really pleased with our defense as a whole and their ability to work in unison, communicate amongst one another, playing physical, playing tough. We want to see that continue on, but I thought they played great these last couple of weeks. The second halves, like you asked, have been really good. I thought last week as a whole, really, was pretty special.”

(On whether he feels DL Aaron Donald plays specifically well against certain opponents)
“I think (DL) Aaron (Donald) shines against a lot of people. He’s had some pretty special games against these guys. But, you can say the same thing about the Washington football team now, too. Couldn't you? We know what a good front they have. We know what a good unit they are, and I think Aaron finds a way to bring his best every single week. That's what makes him as special as he is.”

Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell
(On the mood inside the building on a divisional week)
"I think one of the things I've really admired so far early on here is, just our focus and attention to detail every single week. Both as a coaching staff, our group of players, everybody's really dialed in these Wednesdays and Thursdays – these preparation days. If it was different this week than any other week, that'd be something that you definitely don't want, but at the same time, you do know it's a division game, a really good football team. We've got to give our best effort. We've got to have a great week of preparation and that's what we're trying to do."

(On the 49ers having multiple injuries on defense and playing against their scheme)
"They still have a ton of talent, a ton of playmakers on that side of the ball at all three levels of the defense. The backend, obviously, those linebackers are really good players, and then they still have some really impactful guys on the front despite a couple of pass rushers being down currently, but just a really rock-solid group. They're well coached. You can tell each and every week they've got a great plan and they really know how to execute what they do, in addition to playing their specific opponent that week with the plan that that coaching staff puts together for them. So, it's a big-time challenge. Obviously, although I'm new here to this staff and to the Rams, I know these two teams know each other really well and it's going to be another good challenge as it's always been when you go up there to play those guys."

(On if he consciously says anything in meetings about having to win the division you have to win divisional games or if that doesn't need to be said)
"I know for me personally, just trying to have a laser focus on our offense and obviously, specifically the quarterback position. Getting that big picture will do me no good as a coach trying to prepare, not only the quarterbacks, but the players that I need to help have a strong role in preparing for the game. So, keep it very much detail oriented, the small things, all those small things matter in our preparation, trying to give our players a chance to go out and have some success on Sunday."

(On opening drives scripts and how they have evolved)
"I think that's a really good question. I've been around just about everything, a script where you really try to stay on it, no matter what, a script where you say you're going to stay on it and then you get two or three plays in and you're skipping around or you're maybe adding some things, but other than just the menu of plays to have, the plays you feel really good about and the plan of plays that you're running for specific reasons. I think (Head) Coach (Sean) McVay has got such a great feel early on in games, dialing things up that our guys feel really good about, positive about. Maybe gaining information inventory, whatever it may be, but the way we do it here is a really great way and I think our players have shown just by what they've done early on in football games, that it works for us really well. I don't really think there's any right or wrong ways, as long as, the intentions are done with a purpose to help the overall plan and really figure out how you want to play that particular game."

(On adjusting scripts to the skills and abilities of the running backs and wide receivers)
"I think when you talk about, those are two really different position groupings, as far as we know a lot of the things that our guys do really well and we try to put together plans that really feature those things for really both those groups. I think with the receiver group, we have such versatile guys, but also guys that can do a lot of different things, both in the run and pass game to help us have success. And then the running backs, we've seen all three of those guys have a real impact on our offense at different times, maybe on similar plays, maybe on different things, but really featuring those guys early on in the game of things that we're really confident in what they do well and for us, it's a really good thing, because we have a lot of guys that can do a lot of different jobs equally as well. So I think that makes us hard to defend, but at the same time, as the games go on, I think we can really figure out exactly narrowing down what individuals can do, especially later on in the football game when we kind of know how things are going to play out."

(On the difference between the Rams and 49ers running back committees)
"I think first and foremost, just two really, really well coached teams. With what Coach McVay and Coach (Run Game Coordinator/Offensive Line Coach Aaron) Kromer and Coach (Pass Game Coordinator Shane) Waldron put together, along with our whole staff – a just putting guys in position, no matter who the running back is, you got to give a lot of credit to the offensive line and those receivers. (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff), for getting in and out of some bad plays into some good plays. It really does take all 11 (players) and I think that's the one thing that I do feel from both teams – offensively, it really is an all 11-type approach. It's not just about a back, it's not just about one in particular guy up front or the tight ends or whatever it may be. When the offense – both of them – are at their best, you see all 11 having an impact, both in the run game and the pass game and that's really what every offense in this league is really trying to coach and get accomplished. But obviously the 49ers and Rams have been able to put that on tape quite a bit."

(On how much he relies on QB Jared Goff when putting together a game plan)
"I think one of the things that's really defined (Qcool smiley Jared (Goff) and myself and our relationship early on in the season is that communication and that wouldn't be right for me to be always the one talking, always the one giving information because his inventory over the past three years is incredibly valuable. He's the guy that stood in there and made the throws, made the plays and knows what it felt like in those games. So we want to obviously call upon that experience while also presenting him with a plan he can feel good about and really use a mixture of both his experience versus this group, his experience early on in the season with the success that he's had and then also, specifically what we want to do for this year's group, our offense and their defense this coming Sunday. So, a lot goes into it. It's a good question, but first and foremost, I think it all goes back to the communication between myself and Jared, which has been really strong early on."

(On how important it is to attempt long passes and execute them)
"I think it's important. Although it was obviously a question that was on a lot of people's minds going into that game, it was an honest answer as far as the ops may or may not have been there early on, but the production and the focus on what we're trying to do offensively is not about forcing any one particular thing. So, there are some opportunities that presented themselves in Washington and our guys, like they've done in a lot of different scenarios this year, executed some plays and we were able to get the ball down the field a little bit, but each and every game is its own. We prepare specifically for each opponent we play. Those ops may or may not be the same this week and we'll just kind of play it as we see it each and every opportunity."

(On what he sees QB Jared Goff doing to contribute to the strong start to the season)
“There's a lot of little things here and there, but just the operation, his ownership. I know I've used that word in the past, but you just get a feeling from a guy when he's comfortable. Everything from the verbiage to how we're reading plays, what kind of footwork we're taking. What we're trying to do and get accomplished in the run game and how his role is played in that. So, there's just a lot of jobs that go into it. Some of the situational things, situational awareness, all those things. When you take a 30,000-foot view of kind of where he's at right now, there's always things we're talking about getting better. But, there's also a lot of things that I feel strongly about as far as a real positive for him early on. Just like everything, we're five games in, a lot of challenges ahead. We’ve got to make sure our preparation is on all those small details each and every day leading into every game we play.”

(On if there are any specific activations prior QB Jared Goff entering the huddle to start the series)
"He throws. He does it anyway, but I'm always reminding him – make sure he moves his feet, get some throws, depending on how long that previous drive was for our defense against the opposing offense. Just to make sure that first play, he's run ready to roll. Whether it's run, pass, whatever it is, always just trying to get him just for the sake of using the word again, since we all love it so much, activated, for that individual drive. But that comes up time and time again. It comes up in practice. You guys get to see our individual (drills) that we do, but then as the practice goes on, making sure he stays fresh. Whether we're rolling on offense or maybe (Qcool smiley John (Wolford) is in there running the scout team. Whatever it is. Keeping his mind fresh. But, at the same time, making sure his arm, his lower body, all those things mechanically are ready to execute.”

DL Aaron Donald
(On his four sacks last Sunday)
“That’s last week. So, we are focused on playing the 49ers and trying to have some success that week. So, that's the main focus.”

(On if he was double-teamed on his four sacks)
“I was single-blocked.”

(On how he gets into a rhythm to be able to get more than two sacks a game)
“Just playing and trying to take advantage of the opportunities and try to help my team win games. So, that's what it comes down to. When I get opportunities to get those one-on-one blocks, I have to take advantage of it and I have to continue to do that, continue to get myself better and continue to try to be productive.”

(On if he senses opposing OL getting frustrated when he continues to sack their Qcool smiley
“I don't really pay attention. You’d have to ask those guys. I'm more focused on what I have to do and my guys.”

(On if he expects success against certain teams)
“No, not at all. I just go out there each week and I play. Hopefully, it's a good game. Hopefully, it's successful. Hopefully, it's productive. But you know, you have those good days, you have those bad days. You have those games that were supposed to be your game, some games that's not set for you to be that successful in it. But I just go out there and play.”

(On if there is a sense a personal and team satisfaction after getting a win and having a four-sack performance)
“Hell yeah. You’re happy about it. That's what you work for, to be productive like that and help your team win games That's what it's about. So, for me to say, I wasn't happy, I wasn't excited about it, I'd be lying to you.”

(On if he has noticed a difference in the way the opposing offenses game plan against him this season in comparison to previous years)
“It’s similar. You get different protections, different looks, different ways to try to slow you down, you know, same as always. And sometimes you get those opportunity where you’re man-on-man and you have to take advantage of it.”

(On if he gets excited for his teammates when he gets double-teamed because he knows they’ll have one-on-one opportunities)
“Yeah, definitely when they're making the plays and getting those sacks, I'm happy for them. It's more frustrating when you're getting that attention and guys aren’t getting there. But you know, we have a good group that’s been having success and finding ways to get to the quarterback, even when I'm not. So, when you have a group like that, you tend to just go out there and play. If they want to pay attention to one guy more than another, then that guy is going to take advantage of his opportunities and win.”

(On if he likes moving around or being in a set spot)
“No, I like moving around. I don't mind it; I get some freedom here and there. Trying to find different opportunities to still do my job and be productive about getting to the quarterback or whatever the case may be. So yeah, I kind of like it. I don't mind it.”

(On how he feels about the matchup with the 49ers given their success making it to the Super Bowl last season)
“Well, you know, it's a divisional game, a team we play twice a year. So, you know, it's always going to be a dog fight. You know what to expect. You have to go to that mindset that, ‘We’re back in the division now. That's when it anchors down, I have to do a little bit more now.’”

(On describing Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers Joe Barry)
“’Joe B’s’ (Assistant Head Coach/Linebackers Joe Barry) a cool guy. He knows football, he’s been around a long time. Definitely get to communicate with him a lot more, just being a defensive lineman and having to communicate with the linebackers, and things like that. So, you can tell he’s been doing it a long time. He knows football. He always has some fresh kicks on his feet too. But you know, Joe B’s a good guy, great coach. Happy to be working with him.”

(On his charity AD99 Solutions and how he’s evolved its programming since its inception)
“Well, it’s just about trying to give different kids opportunity, mentoring and things like that, that build up our communities in the black areas and give these kids opportunities that everyone is getting. We want to keep giving these kids hope, whatever the case may be, from trying to be a teacher – we just want them to be successful. We want them to have success, want them accomplish great things and having the opportunity for me to create a foundation, a platform for these kids to grow and learn and push them to do great things. I'm always for that and it's going to continue to grow. My sister's been doing a great job. With me being in football, my sister is controlling everything, doing a great job with having a foundation rolling. So, you know, we’re put in a position, where I’m at right now to give the same opportunity to kids in my community and it’s just been a blessing.”
--RAMS--
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Los Angeles Rams Transcripts - October 15, 2020 Head Coach Sean McVay, Offensive Coordinator Kevin O'Connell and DL Aaron Donald

Shaky334October 16, 2020 12:20AM

scripts

zn187October 16, 2020 03:22AM

Re: scripts

zn164October 16, 2020 08:54AM