Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Agree completely

June 07, 2023 04:52AM
ABQRam
David Deacon
Goff was a valuable asset and we mishandled him in my opinion. Regardless of the situation the QB is the most important player on the team and you need to do everything possible to make the QB successful. I think we failed there and giving him a contract a year ahead of time and then deciding that he wasn't going to be your QB is kind of mind blowing stupid.

There are a lot of things the Rams do right and McVay does right but this is one where he screwed up. Good news is that McVay usually takes a good hard look at his failures and tries not to repeat them.

Jared Goff improved in 18 & 19 under Zac Taylor and Shane Waldron respectively but when McVay took over the QB coach duties himself after the Superbowl loss, Goff regressed in 20 & 21 (and ALL of the reports of McVay's interaction with Goff were unflattering). Goff goes to Detroit where he is liked with an OC who works with him, and good things start happening immediately. In fact, the Lions OC Anthony Lynn, who reportedly did not like Goff, was fired and a guy by the name of Ben Johnson who had never been an OC takes over, and Goff's last 6 games of the 2021 season ended with a QB rating of 101.8. This success carried over to 2022 and Goff had one real weapon, Amon St. Brown. So if McVay gets to have the credit for the good stuff, he gets to own this, which is why I can't figure out why anyone thinks he's so great with QB's. McVay has done great things but this wasn't one of them.

What an excellent post, ABQ.

Agree on all counts. Rams (and especially McVay’s) handling of Goff in those last 2 years could have been a helluva lot better.

McVay, by his own admission, can be too impetuous at times and it bit him in the butt here.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Article: Sean McVay tiptoes through the minefield of talking about Jared Goff’s improvement

Ramsdude153June 07, 2023 02:53AM

Mishandled a valuable asset

David Deacon98June 07, 2023 03:58AM

Agree completely

ABQRam139June 07, 2023 04:39AM

Re: Agree completely

Rams4382June 07, 2023 04:52AM

Yup DD and ABQ Nailed it down pretty good

Ramsdude82June 07, 2023 05:07AM