Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My Latest Mock Draft

February 04, 2023 05:25AM
I used the FanSpeak site for this one. They do allow trades. Honestly, not sure which of these sites with draft simulators is the best and each offers it's own advantages and disadvantages. But, here's what I came up with and why...
Round 2 Pick 5
Trade Partner: Atlanta Falcons
Sent: Round 2 Pick 5
Received: Round 2 Pick 13 -- Round 3 Pick 12

R2 P13
C John Michael Schmitz - Minnesota -- 6'-4" -- 320LBS
It's time for a beefier and nastier center but one that can still move and get to the 2nd level. This pick fits that need. By all accounts he has been a beast at the Senior Bowl where he's going up against the best of the best day in and day out. Unless something goes haywire, this is the new starting C. Allen gets release and the Rams save I think around $4M by letting Allen go.

R3 P6
EDGE Andre Carter II - Army -- 6'-7" -- 260LBS
Some could say this is a reach... Others could say there's no way Carter lasts until this late in the draft. The kid is raw but possesses ideal athleticism and size for the position. I went with a plug and play safe pick in round 2 but, the Rams take a risk here based upon potential. Having been in a military academy, we know the kid is going to be mentally tough and hardworking. If some of the veterans can take this kid under their wings and give him some polish, this could be a mid-round diamond. Propably a pure pass rusher (3rd down and long) guy for a season or 2 as he learns some more rush moves and how to set an edge.

R3 P12
CB Garrett Williams - Syracuse -- 6'-0" - 190LBS
He's coming off of an ACL injury and into the draft otherwise he likely would have not been available here. Good sized corner who is an Alpha-type aggressive corner. He will run through WR to break up passes and is more than willing in run support. Has mostly played in zone schemes but has all the characteristics and speed to play press-man. Down sides are that he's not likely to see the field much in his first NFL season as he recovers from injury and his aggressiveness can sometimes lead to big mistakes. Should provide solid depth either toward the end of next season or the start of the 2024 season. Should be competing for a starting role midway through the 2024 season or entering 2025.

R4 P34
G Warren McClendon - Georgia -- 6'-4" -- 300LBS
Right Tackle or G (either side) prospect. I selected him as a G as he has the body type to add 15-20LBS to his frame. While he needs a bit of refining, he has great upper body strength, one the best initial punches of anyone in the draft when he times and lands it correctly, is scheme versatile and has the ability to get to the 2nd level. While most offensive lineman coming into the NFL need time to learn, this pick could result in a starter at Guard or RT (Should the Rams decide Havenstein is expendable) next year. Solid in both the run and pass protection, at the very least this pick provides depth and position versatility for an OL that looks like it needs to be totally reshaped.

R5 P36
RB Chris Rodriguez Jr. - Kentucky -- 5'-11" -- 224LBS
A red zone beast with a nose for endzone. Something the Rams have lacked for a long, long time. Not the fastest or most athletic guy, but hiz size and demeanor make him awfully hard to take down on first contact. While he won't offer much in the passing game, he's a willing blocker for those play-action passes on 3rd and short when a run will be expected. He just gives the team a power back and likely a special teams contributer. He's not going to challenge Akers to be the bell cow which is likely good for Akers' mental stability.

R6 P5
TE Cameron Latu - Alabama -- 6'-5" -- 248LBS
More of your "old school" TE. He's and aggressive and willing blocker but is also a high football IQ guy with solid hands who understands how to be QB friendly by running excellent routes to create separation and by finding holes in zone coverage. This guy is not going to be a field stretcher or a big run-after-catch guy. He will be great in 2 TE sets where his blocking ability can be showcased and where he can occasionally surprise the D by getting downfield on a passing route. If the Rams plan to keep Higbee around and Hopkins doesn't take a big step forward (and remain available to play), Latu could be the #2 TE pretty quickly simply due to his reliability.

R6 P12
S Christian Young - Arizona -- 6'-3" -- 217LBS
Freakish big, fast Safety who is solid in the run game and the pass game. Doesn't get washed out by OL in run support. Not exceptionally fluid in his movements and his aggressiveness can lead to missed tackles. But his size and speed make him an ideal option to cover TEs or to spy QBs who like to run.
Size and speed also make him position versatile. He's going to need some "molding" for the NFL dame but there are very few 6th round picks who don't.

R6 P14
EDGE Habakkuk Baldonado - Pittsburgh -- 6'-5" -- 255LBS
Strictly a late round flyer based upon potential. This kid has only played american football since his senior year in high school. High effort guy who is obviously still honing pass rush moves but is already effective at setting the edge. Has the body type and intangibles but really needs coaching. Should be a versatile ST teams player.

R6 P34
OT Kadeem Telfort - UAB -- 6'-8" -- 334LBS
In all honesty, has I thought about it, I'd have drafter Telfort with R4 P34 selection. This is possibly the LT of the future. Legal troubles (4 years ago and nothing since) forced him to play down at UAB but his talent and body type scream SEC. At 6'-8" tall, he obviously plays a little bit "high" but does well to not allow defenders to get hands on him because of his own strength and massive wingspan. Another kid that's going to need some coaching and refinement but if he takes to it, the sky is the limit. Give him 2 years to get stronger, smarter and more honed in his craft. Can Noteboom or another current LT hold down the fort until then?

R7 P6
DL Jerrod Clark - Coastal Carolina -- 6'-4" -- 345LBS
A massive man with 82" wing span and willingness to do the dirty work, and understands how to do it, agains both zone and man rushing schemes. Not huge in the pass rush department but does have the ability to walk the C/G back into the QB quickly creating some disruption. With either A. Robinson or G. Gaines likely moving on next season, this could be an instant replacement that may even improve the Rams run defense.

R7 P33
FB Hunter Luepke - North Dakota State -- 6'-1" -- 236LBS
I know, I know... Another big slow pounding back with little value away from the goal line. But wait... Here's that swiss army knife, that utility player, that every NFL team should have. He's an extremely versatile jack of all trades, master of none guy that can be your FB, H back, TE and will be a score ST player for years to come. He's a capable running back who will pound out the yards to ice a game. But, he has good route running ability and very soft hands for catching the ball out of the backfield, as a TE or on fake punts. He has a similar size and make up as Juszczyk. The Rams have either drafted or picked up high priority undrafted FBs in previous years and none have stuck. It's time to allow a guy like this to be a back-up to multiple positions and gain some roster spots from doing that. I think he could be that underdog fan favorite type of guy pretty quickly.

Let the verbal beatings begin... LOL.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My Latest Mock Draft

PSJRam352February 04, 2023 05:25AM

Re: My Latest Mock Draft

Ridgewood Ram126February 04, 2023 06:51AM

Ram_Ruler108February 04, 2023 06:54AM

Paco70100February 04, 2023 09:49AM

Ramstien83February 04, 2023 10:35AM