Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

There's a reply I can't argue with...

March 26, 2020 06:31AM
laughing smiley

Last two I watched were I confess and The Thirty Nine Steps. Enjoyed the heck out of both... BUT... two criticisms...

1st - In "I Confess". Montgomery Clift was bad... bordering on horrible. And since he's the star that's not good. laughing smiley Never really paid much attention to Montgomery... I know he led a very troubled life that ended tragically. As is my custom I go to IMDB after watching movies to read about the movie - some 'trivia' is included in the IMDB articles and apparently Montgomery was struggling, badly, with alcoholism during the making of this movie. So ok... I don't trust the 'trivia' section of IMDB very much at all... BUT... that tidbit does seem to fit what I saw out of Montgomery in this particular role. He seemed in a stupor throughout. Normally Hitchcock brings out the best in actors... stuff the actor's themselves don't know they have, or perhaps do not have, but Hitchcock can overcome that... not in this case. The movie, however, I liked.. quite a bit.

2nd - The Thirty Nine Steps - very, very, very dated..as any movie from the 30's would be. That doesn't bother me. I was reminded of a criticism about old serial adventures, (like what Indiana Jones was modeled after) and the complaint that one part would end with the hero being captured and placed in restraint impossible to escape from then the next episode would begin with 'after escaping from his restraints" without explain how in the hell he did it. laughing smiley

What I loved about the movie most was the naïveté of the characters... because I happen to believe, (some will disagree), that people actually WERE like that during that era... at least somewhat.

It is very satisfying for me to see 'talent' evolve... and watching all these Hitchcock films, somewhat chronologically... seeing his development as a director is fascinating to me. But note: I studied Hitchcock in college... so this wasn't really 'new' to me.. even though I did see some things I missed back in my college days.

No real disappoints so far... and not many Hitchcock films to go, that I haven't seen... but several are not available. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Since about noon yesterday... I'm on a Hitchcock binge...

JamesJM108March 25, 2020 07:34PM

To Catch a Thief

SeattleRam77March 25, 2020 08:00PM

There's a reply I can't argue with...

JamesJM141March 26, 2020 06:31AM

I could spend a whole month watching nothing but Cary Grant films

IowaRam68March 26, 2020 07:24AM

As I've said before, about Cary...

JamesJM50March 26, 2020 07:32AM

A Biography-Cary Grant-by Marc Eliot

waterfield48March 26, 2020 07:45AM

Gotta be honest, I trust few of those....

JamesJM63March 26, 2020 08:31AM

Re: Gotta be honest, I trust few of those....

waterfield70March 26, 2020 09:25AM

My next 'binge' topic...

JamesJM48March 26, 2020 06:37AM

Doris Day...

SeattleRam124March 26, 2020 06:59AM