Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kicking and screaming...

March 15, 2020 01:49PM
and cussing up a storm... that's how I where headphones, earbuds, or anything else on my ears. I hate them.

Unfortunately... there have been times when I had no choice. It was either that or not hearing myself playing, every try to do that?

We are not geared up for pumping the sound of the instruments behind the mains. That doesn't matter at all for the guitars players, their amps are behind them... BUT.... you ever hear how much sound comes out of the BACK of an amp, where I sit, most drummers sit? It's deafening. Playing acoustic with no monitoring on my drums I can barely hear anything I'm playing.

So.. we do pump the sound back to me, (usually), although, as I said, we aren't really geared for that.... so the small monitors I hear my drums thru can barely handle it.. and cannot AT ALL handle the bass drums. At times I have just given up and put on some headphones, kicking and screaming, It's terrible for quality, like two tin cans connected by a string, but it's better than hearing nothing.

Oddly enough, (the timing of this reply), we hit on a 'semi' solution this last gig. The bass player bought a powered amp with a 12" speaker, (normally that will NOT handle a bass drum), that he uses at home but brought it to the gig... we tried it... and it was the best thing we've come up with yet. Our monitors are also 12" but they can't handle the bass drum at all, (sst will have to explain that because it's over my pay grade)... but this one could... KIND of could. Compared to everything else we've tried it was great, however.

If I remember I'll ask my bass player what it was... and post it when I find out. It was NOT a simple monitor. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Well, Steve... our gig went well...

JamesJM178March 09, 2020 07:34PM

That's awesome.. and I know EXACTLY what you're referring to..

sstrams116March 10, 2020 03:25AM

Re: That's awesome.. do you guys use ear monitors

Steve117March 15, 2020 08:56AM

As long as you ARE a Steve...

sstrams89March 15, 2020 12:52PM

Kicking and screaming...

JamesJM92March 15, 2020 01:49PM

My guess is..

sstrams134March 15, 2020 02:39PM