Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Well, Steve... our gig went well...

March 09, 2020 07:34PM
As well as can be expected that is... since we haven't played a gig in months and we had only 2 practices going into this last gig.

Plus I didn't injure myself. (others will think that's a silly joke but you know I'm serious, Steve laughing smiley )

We played only one set.... albeit about 1.5 hours long... but that's VERY short for us. I'm going to miss our next gig in May.... I'm headed to Disneyland for my granddaughter's dance competition so I picked a sit-in and OH MAN is he excited. He's an old friend who hadn't played in YEARS but somehow got involved playing drums for his church about two year's ago... he came to these last two practices we had to get acquainted with our song list. He'll be fine... but he's in for a few surprises when our lead guitar player forgets a measure, or verse, or the key we're supposed to be playing in. laughing smiley

Which leads me too... As I've said on this board, many times I think, I can't play as well as I used to play.... today I just try to keep the meter, be clean.... but there is ONE thing I am GREAT at... and I include our bass player in this as well. He and I have been playing in a band together since 1973... several groups.

We can 'fix' a goof instantly... and I can't overstate that.... INSTANTLY... in fact, we can almost sense the 'goof' coming and begin repair before it even happens. He and I can turn tragedy into success so quickly the audience SELDOM knows the band went awry. And we read each other perfectly... no thought needed, we know exactly how to 'fix' it when things go wrong. He doesn't have to cue me, or I him... nor even make eye contact... we're on it.

Funny thing is... it's actually fun, or at least it's a 'proud' moment. Sometime when a big screw-up happens and he and I fix it before the rest of the band even knows the screw-up happened we'll end the song and look to one another grinning our butts off. laughing smiley

By the way, that only happened a couple of times in this last gig... so we did good. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Well, Steve... our gig went well...

JamesJM178March 09, 2020 07:34PM

That's awesome.. and I know EXACTLY what you're referring to..

sstrams116March 10, 2020 03:25AM

Re: That's awesome.. do you guys use ear monitors

Steve117March 15, 2020 08:56AM

As long as you ARE a Steve...

sstrams89March 15, 2020 12:52PM

Kicking and screaming...

JamesJM93March 15, 2020 01:49PM

My guess is..

sstrams134March 15, 2020 02:39PM