Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cold, Cold, Heart....

November 13, 2019 05:18PM
That's the name of a song by Hank Williams.... Senior. I hated that song. laughing smiley We used to play it in our band, the band previous to my current band... we were called "Buckskin".

Charlie was our Rhythm guitar player, and this evening I got a call from his son... Charlie is in the hospital and not expected to make it thru the night.

Charlie was 100% country and western. In those days we played a mix... classic rock and country, but mostly classic rock... Charlie was always excited when it was his turn to step up to the mic. laughing smiley

I've never met a better man than Charlie. His favorite song was "Cold, Cold, Heart"... he insisted we play it at every gig. Lord but I hated that moment... at least, in the beginning. The years went by, we kept playing it... and one night, towards the end of our time together as a band, (perhaps a year from our last gig as Buckskin), I had somehow come to love that song... but I had never told Charlie. As usual we reached a point when we were wondering which song to play next. Charlie knew I hated "Cold, Cold, Heart", I had told him many times.... but on this night... I requested it - "Charlie, play 'Cold, Cold, Heart'... and I swear, I think I saw a tear in his eye. I remember after the gig ended, as we were packing up our gear, he came over and told me how much he appreciated my asking him to play 'Cold, Cold, Heart'.

In a very big way Charlie 'taught me music'. It wasn't the 'song' as much as the passion in which you presented the song...and when Charlie sang "Cold, Cold, Heart" he delivered his soul to the audience.

Last time I saw Charlie was about a year ago... I think I may have written about it... not sure I posted it here. Charlie was in bad health, on oxygen, and his son told us that Charlie may not remember us... (me and the bass player from our band). We were prepared for the worst... but we didn't have to worry for long...

Rick and I entered the house and Charlie nearly leapt off his sofa, "JIMMY, RICK", he nearly shouted. His wife, Bonnie, was astounded, she didn't think he'd remember us either. And then we began, Charlie leading the way... old stories, specific gigs, funny stories, sad stories, things I had done and forgotten, things Rick had done, and forgotten... things we did together and 'kind' of wish had been forgotten.

I don't think Charlie ever topped 125lbs in his life... the stereotypical skinny cowboy... ALWAYS in a cowboy hat, cowboy vest, cowboy boots... in winter, spring, summer, autumn.... at play, at work, at funerals, at weddings, at the beach.

The Buckskins... Danny, Bill, Charlie, Rick, and I... Danny and Bill are gone now... and Charlie may not make it thru this night.

You all know the song... "The Day The Music Died".... and tonight, for me personally, that feels about right. - JamesJM

Posted this before.. Charlie on the far right and taken around 1980, as Buckskin was just getting started.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Cold, Cold, Heart.... Attachments

JamesJM347November 13, 2019 05:18PM

Always hate to hear that..

sstrams182November 14, 2019 06:17AM

SO sorry! Your post is something that scares me.

Ramgator192November 14, 2019 11:23AM

Sorry man.......nm

Arkansas Ram172November 14, 2019 12:22PM

sorry about your old friend, Jimmy

21Dog176November 15, 2019 05:08AM

So sorry...

fearsomefoursome189November 15, 2019 05:39AM

And so it ends. Charlie passed today. (Nm)

JamesJM169November 15, 2019 03:57PM

damn nm

21Dog146November 16, 2019 04:37AM

Re: And so it ends. Charlie passed today. (Nm)

Arkansas Ram155November 16, 2019 05:51AM

So sorry to hear that, Jimmy... nm

sstrams184November 16, 2019 05:52AM