April 24, 2019 02:05PM
i don't know about atrocious... but i can see why people may have been upset.

Robey-Coleman's or Pavelski's hit from Eakin?

in each case, the team that may have had the benefit of a call still had to fight to win. The Rams had to tie the game, allow Brees first possession in OT, then picked him off then the Rams had to kick a long game winner in OT...the Rams won that game.

Sharks did very similar... scored 4 goals in the 3rd period and a golden goal in OT. Not only was Vegas up 3 goals in the final period yesterday, they were up 3 games to 1 in the series. In both the Rams and Sharks game, the questionable call didn't decide each game.

21Dog, you had one of the best posts after the Rams Saints game.... i think you said, (paraphrase) "I'm so mentally spent that I felt like I played in that game"

[www.mercurynews.com]

Even before Barclay Goodrowʼs spectacular series-clinching goal, the hockey world was abuzz about the circumstances of the Sharks’ unbelievable, unexpected and unprecedented comeback.

The argument: Did Cody Eakin deserve a five-minute penalty? No doubt Eakin cross-checked Joe Pavelski off the draw, causing Joe to awkwardly tumble into Paul Statsny and crash violently head first to the ice. But was it really a major?

A referee is obligated to take the injury into account when assessing a penalty. In the NHL Rulebook it states:

59.3 Major Penalty – A major penalty, at the discretion of the referee based on the severity of the contact, shall be imposed on a player who “cross checks” an opponent (see 59.5).

59.4 Match Penalty – The referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent by cross-checking.

But in my less-than-humble opinion, Eakin did not deserve a five-minute major and game misconduct. That kind of contact in a Game 7 doesnʼt even deserve a two-minute call.

Does that mean that the Sharks didnʼt deserve to win? Not so fast on that.

The Vegas Golden Knights are complaining that the call changed the game and the series. Sour grapes or valid point? Say what you want. Complain all you want. And you didnʼt have to wait too long to hear the gripes.

After the game, Jonathon Marchessault angrily vented: “…It changed the entire outcome of the game, and the season.”

However, let us not brush aside the fact that Vegas was up 3-0 with less than 12 minutes to play. That Vegas had stoned the Sharks’ power play for most of the series and definitely to that point in the game. Letʼs not forget they have Marc Andre Fleury who was (until that critical moment) pitching a shutout and very capable of slamming the door shut.

At the most critical of moments, the Sharks responded and scored four goals on that power play. The four goals werenʼt gifted to them. They werenʼt awarded four penalty shots. They took big-time advantage of their opportunity and rode the dragon!

The goals werenʼt cheap either. Six seconds in, a perfectly placed shot by Logan Couture — Sharks on the board as Logan scowled at his bench and held up one finger yelling, “Thatʼs One!”

Did you doubt there would be more? He was dragging everybody into the fight.

Fifty-four seconds in, a beautiful tip by Hertl, then Logan with a rocket to tie the game as the place went berserk. Fifty-two seconds left in the penalty and LaBanc gives the Sharks the lead.

Those were all terrific goals. Grade A scoring chances that Vegas had no answer for. Deserved or not.

Vegas couldnʼt stop the Sharks’ momentum and didnʼt come up with the save or the clear or the block that was needed.

The Sharks first made the playoffs in 1993-94. Captain Bob Errey sat down before the team played Game 1 and scribbled down a few thoughts. Bob had won Cups in Pittsburgh and wanted to spread a little knowledge.

Youʼre never out of a game.

Then in parentheses, his example was:

(Major Penalty)

Fast forward to 25 years later. The Sharks seized the moment and changed the game and the series and delivered one of the most thrilling comebacks in the history of the franchise.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Watched OKC and followed the Sharks....

JamesJM227April 23, 2019 09:20PM

two of Kroenke's teams are most likely next for each team.....

JoeMad182April 24, 2019 08:41AM

As I said, I was following the Sharks...

JamesJM168April 24, 2019 10:47AM

Re: As I said, I was following the Sharks...

JoeMad171April 24, 2019 11:29AM

penalty call was atrocious

21Dog141April 24, 2019 12:45PM

Re: penalty call might've been overstated......

JoeMad303April 24, 2019 02:05PM

Well, I didn't see it....

JamesJM152April 24, 2019 02:14PM

thanks for the response, Joe

21Dog121April 26, 2019 06:59AM

HURRICANES WIN! HURRICANES WIN!!

BlueRidgeHorns189April 25, 2019 02:43AM

congrats to the Canes

21Dog154May 04, 2019 06:23AM

And the Sharks go up 1-0

JamesJM185April 26, 2019 10:41PM