Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: My first 'High Brow' event?

March 22, 2019 07:09PM
JamesJM
no, of course not... but the first in a very long time. This evening I will attend the Fresno State University MFS Thesis Reading. I don't know what MFS stands for.
i
Here's how I understand it.... a few students are writing their Thesis for their "Masters Degree" in various types of writing - journalism, creative fiction, non-fiction, etc. (Not sure which degree) One of the young ladies that will be reading is a friend of mine. The students read an excerpt from their Thesis, (not yet submitted). I believe this is a 'tradition' for the writing school... perhaps all universities do this, I don't know.

anyway... no doubt well educated people.... intelligent people... will make up the audience. And then there is me.

So I have to be good.... on my best manners, dignified.... which for me would be tough at any time BUT TONIGHT it's going to be extraordinarily difficult because - - the event begins at 7pm.... the same time as my grandson's baseball game in Lemoore, some 50 miles south of where I'll be. My family will be texting me. I HAVE to remember to put my phone on mute, turn off 'vibration'...both I believe I can handle....however.... should Gavin get a hit, and Lord help me if that hit is a HR, I will have to remain seated, dignified, "quiet". I think a spontaneous standing ovation accompanied by raucous cheering for one of the readers coinciding with my grandson's hit is a bit too much to hope for.

I'm a bit anxious...nervous... I mean, picture this: One of the readers is dramatically orating their thesis excerpt and right at the moment that the 'tragedy of the tale' shocks and sends the audience into deep grief my grandson with two outs in the last inning hits a game winning HR.

It would be like laughing at a funeral..... which, now that I think about it, has happened to me before. - JamesJM

Some advice? I find that the best, and most approved of, behavior for such things includes passing around a flask of whiskey and telling knock knock jokes.

Can't go wrong that way.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My first 'High Brow' event?

JamesJM195March 22, 2019 01:27PM

Re: My first 'High Brow' event?

zn171March 22, 2019 07:09PM

Actually I thought of that...

JamesJM167March 22, 2019 08:10PM

Re: Actually I thought of that...

OzRam207March 23, 2019 03:34AM

Nope, no HR's...

JamesJM112March 23, 2019 01:58PM