Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Medical News Today has a list of Foods to help you gain weight

March 22, 2019 06:21AM
I would avoid "supplement" shakes unless you've really done your homework first to determine what's in them. There are some good ones out there but most are just junk. Also, if he's lifting weights, that won't do him any good unless he's ALSO increasing his caloric intake. He needs to eat more calories than his body needs in order to pack on the pounds but it needs to be the right foods.

Here are 19 foods that Medical News Today says will help you gain weight safely and quickly.

1. Milk
Protein shakes are good weight gain foods
Protein shakes can help people gain weight easily and are most effective if drunk shortly after a workout.

Milk offers a mix of fat, carbohydrates, and proteins.

It is also an excellent source of vitamins and minerals, including calcium.

The protein content of milk makes it a good choice for people trying to build muscle.

One study found that after a resistance training workout, drinking skim milk helped to build muscle more effectively than a soy-based product.

A similar study involving women in resistance training showed improved results in those who drank milk following a workout.

For anyone looking to gain weight, milk can be added to the diet throughout the day.

2. Protein shakes

Protein shakes can help a person to gain weight easily and efficiently. A shake is most effective at helping to build muscle if drunk shortly after a workout.

However, it is important to note that premade shakes often contain extra sugar and other additives that should be avoided. Check labels carefully.

A range of protein shakes is available for purchase in health food stores and online.

3. Rice

A cup of rice contains about 200 calories, and it is also a good source of carbohydrates, which contribute to weight gain. Many people find it easy to incorporate rice into meals containing proteins and vegetables.

4. Red meat

Limiting the consumption of red meat has been shown to help with building muscle and gaining weight.

Steak contains both leucine and creatine, nutrients that play a significant role in boosting muscle mass. Steak and other red meats contain both protein and fat, which promote weight gain.

While a person is advised to limit their intake, leaner cuts of red meat are healthier for the heart than fattier cuts.

One study found that adding lean red meat to the diets of 100 women aged 60–90 helped them to gain weight and increase strength by 18 percent while undergoing resistance training.

5. Nuts and nut butter

Consuming nuts regularly can help a person to gain weight safely. Nuts are a great snack and can be added to many meals, including salads. Raw or dry roasted nuts have the most health benefits.

Nut butters made without added sugar or hydrogenated oils can also help. The only ingredient in these butters should be the nuts themselves.

A range of nut butters is available for purchase online.
Weight gain foods wholegrain bread
Wholegrain breads contain complex carbohydrates and seeds, which can promote weight gain.

6. Whole-grain breads

These breads contain complex carbohydrates, which can promote weight gain. Some also contain seeds, which provide added benefits.

7. Other starches

Starches help some of the foods already listed to boost muscle growth and weight gain. They add bulk to meals and boost the number of calories consumed.

Other foods rich in starches include:

potatoes
corn
quinoa
buckwheat
beans
squash
oats
legumes
winter root vegetables
sweet potatoes
pasta
whole-grain cereals
whole-grain breads
cereal bars

Beyond adding calories, starches provide energy in the form of glucose. Glucose is stored in the body as glycogen. Research indicates that glycogen can improve performance and energy during exercise.

8. Protein supplements

Athletes looking to gain weight often use protein supplements to boost muscle mass, in combination with resistance training.

Protein supplements are available for purchase online. They may be an inexpensive way to consume more calories and gain weight.
Weight gain foods salmon
Salmon is rich in healthy fats, omega-3, and protein.

9. Salmon

Six ounces of salmon will contain about 240 calories, and salmon is also rich in healthy fats, making it a good choice for those looking to gain weight.

It also contains many nutrients, including omega-3 and protein.

10. Dried fruits

Dried fruits are rich in nutrients and calories, with one-quarter cup of dried cranberries containing around 130 calories.

Many people prefer dried pineapple, cherries, or apples. Dried fruit is widely available online, or a person can dry fresh fruit at home.

11. Avocados

Avocados are rich in calories and fat, as well as some vitamins and minerals.
What are the best foods for weight loss?
What are the best foods for weight loss?
It may sound odd, but eating some foods can help a person to lose weight. Learn about the best foods for weight loss here.
Read now

12. Dark chocolate

Dark chocolate is a high fat, high-calorie food. It also contains antioxidants.

A person looking to gain weight should select chocolate that has a cacao content of at least 70 percent. A range of dark chocolate is available for purchase online.

13. Cereal bars

Cereal bars can offer the vitamin and mineral content of cereal in a more convenient form.

A person should look for bars that contain whole grains, nuts, and fruits.

Avoid those that contain excessive amounts of sugar. A range of low-sugar cereal bars are available for purchase online.

14. Whole-grain cereals

Many cereals are fortified with vitamins and minerals.

However, some contain a lot of sugar and few complex carbohydrates. These should be avoided.

Instead, select cereals that contain whole grains and nuts. These contain healthy levels of carbohydrates and calories, as well as nutrients such as fiber and antioxidants.

15. Eggs

Eggs are a good source of protein, healthy fat, and other nutrients. Most nutrients are contained in the yolk.

16. Fats and oils

Oils, such as those derived from olives and avocados, contribute calories and heart-healthy unsaturated fats. A tablespoon of olive oil will contain about 120 calories.

17. Cheese

Cheese is good source of fat, protein, calcium, and calories. A person looking to gain weight should select full-fat cheeses.

18. Yogurt

Full-fat yogurt can also provide protein and nutrients. Avoid flavored yogurts and those with lower fat contents, as they often contain added sugars.

A person may wish to flavor their yogurt with fruit or nuts.

19. Pasta

Pasta can provide a calorically dense and carbohydrate-rich path to healthy weight gain.

Avoid bleached pastas, and opt for those made with whole grains..

[www.medicalnewstoday.com]

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

What is THE best way to gain weight for a 20 year old??

Ramgator405March 22, 2019 04:05AM

Medical News Today has a list of Foods to help you gain weight

MamaRAMa226March 22, 2019 06:21AM

Along with Vickie's excellent list. . .

RAMbeau207March 22, 2019 06:45AM

Re: Along with Vickie's excellent list. . .

MamaRAMa182March 22, 2019 09:45AM

Re: Along with Vickie's excellent list. . .

RAMbeau193March 24, 2019 07:10AM

try goat yogurt

ferragamo79158March 24, 2019 05:04PM

Re: try goat yogurt

RAMbeau310April 14, 2019 02:08PM

Or. . . .

RAMbeau205March 22, 2019 07:03AM

I have told him THIS!

Ramgator214March 22, 2019 09:39AM

How times have changed. . .

RAMbeau187March 22, 2019 07:10AM

Yeah, I'm sure demand has a lot to do with it.

Ramgator265March 22, 2019 09:41AM

USAF ????

IowaRam188March 22, 2019 01:59PM

Actually, I'm in a dilemma . He wants to be a COP / SP.

Ramgator240March 22, 2019 03:15PM

I don't know... but the weight gain powders...

JamesJM203March 22, 2019 03:28PM

Sounds like me.

Ramgator164March 24, 2019 11:08AM

lift weights

ferragamo79161March 24, 2019 05:08PM

Re: What is THE best way to gain weight for a 20 year old??

IowaRam189March 24, 2019 05:20PM

Easy. Get married.

Aries201March 25, 2019 01:00PM

Easy Peasy

CeeZar262March 26, 2019 03:40AM

IowaRam314March 26, 2019 03:57AM

LOLOL Forgot about those ads!!! In the early 70s......

Ramgator165March 26, 2019 08:23AM

Sea monkies

ferragamo79186March 26, 2019 09:47AM

Re: Sea monkies

IowaRam175March 26, 2019 03:59PM

did buy these

IowaRam164March 26, 2019 03:44PM

A friend of mine had the same set.

Ramgator191March 27, 2019 04:42AM

Look what I found today Iowa Attachments

ferragamo79172March 27, 2019 10:20AM

What are the odds

IowaRam188March 29, 2019 05:02PM

I know

ferragamo79160April 06, 2019 09:22AM

I bought that...

Atlantic Ram170April 04, 2019 03:26AM

WOO HOO!! He has already gained 3 and a half pounds!

Ramgator178March 27, 2019 06:46AM

I'm HOPING his goal is to not look like me. He'll NEVER reach that!

Ramgator156March 27, 2019 06:48AM

So he's weight lifting with you then huh

IowaRam223March 27, 2019 08:16AM

NorCalRamFan179April 01, 2019 02:35PM

Mama nailed most of what I recommend, but 1 thing I haven't seen listed

Deadpool174April 12, 2019 08:38AM