Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Coming out of denial... I'm fessing up....

March 21, 2019 10:32AM
You need someone to confront some one you know who is afraid of black cats? Walking under ladders? Carrying a rabbit's foot? I'm your guy... I'll lay into them with both barrels, ridiculing them, logically slaying their moronic superstitions without prejudice. I'll leave them smoldering in a heap of humiliated defeat.

And then -

There are sports

My grandson ended his basketball season several games after baseball had begun... then began baseball by going 0 for 7 at the plate. That's not Gavin, he's one of our top hitters. Stern measures were called for... so 'quietly', subtly, I informed my wife and my daughter, (Gavin's Mom)... that I wouldn't be attending any more of Gavin's games until he got a hit. I was a jinx.

Did I really mean it? Yes, I did.

And.. I skipped the next two games. In the first game I missed he went 2 or 4... couple of RBI's. I could have returned to the ballpark at that point but I didn't... thinking, "Am I really a jinx? No denying facts... I'm skipping the next game as well just to be sure". In the next game Gavin went 3 for 4, another couple of RBI's, 2 Doubles.

That takes us to this last game... which I decided to attend. I was unaware, however, that 'word' had been spread. My wife and daughter... neither with any ability at all to keep a secret.... had informed all Kerman Baseball fans of my 'pledge'. So I walk into the ballpark:

"What are YOU doing here?".... very, very accusatory. I was greeted with looks of steel... frowns.... silent accusations of putting my own interests above the needs of the team. Don't even try to tell me that was all in my head... I can read a scowling facial expression. Word spread through the baseball stands like a wildfire.... faces turned my direction... very very unhappy faces.

The game began.... Gavin did well... 2 for 4, another couple RBI's, another Double. From a batting average of .000 in 3 games he is now the team's leading hitter. And why?

Because I laid a sacrifice at the altar of the baseball gods.. THAT is why. It worked. I am once again welcomed back to Kerman High's ballpark. - JamesJM

P.S. I still think you're dumb if you're afraid to walk under a ladder..... welllll, unless, of course, your kid or grandkid isn't hitting and something has to be done.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Coming out of denial... I'm fessing up....

JamesJM228March 21, 2019 10:32AM

Re: Coming out of denial... I'm fessing up....

MamaRAMa158March 21, 2019 10:49AM

I wouldn't have needed one...

JamesJM166March 21, 2019 10:53AM

Re: I wouldn't have needed one...

MamaRAMa159March 21, 2019 11:11AM

LMAO.. yup....

JamesJM152March 21, 2019 11:21AM

Atlantic Ram139March 21, 2019 12:48PM

waterfield167March 21, 2019 01:48PM

Aries199March 25, 2019 01:12PM

LOL... YEAH...

JamesJM138March 25, 2019 07:08PM

my lucky Rams cat and HS Baseball Attachments

JoeMad174March 28, 2019 06:00AM