Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: I think her character name..

August 15, 2018 04:31AM
According to IMDB the part of Mrs. Taft, the hotel owner and town council member, was an uncredited part played by Fritzi Jane Courtney.

Fritzi Jane Courtney was born on February 15, 1923 in Harlem, New York, USA as Freda Jassem. She was an actress, known for Jaws 2 (1978), Jaws: The Revenge (1987) and Spraggue (1984). She died on August 7, 2012 in Portland, Maine, USA.

Portland magazine writes:

Every arts organization in Maine owes a debt of gratitude to Fritzi Cohen (February 15, 1923-August 7, 2012). A powerful stage and screen presence, Cohen also swept audiences away as “New England’s first on-air drama critic,” according to WCSH-TV, the station that featured her segments from the 1960s and forward, and was an enthusiastic early supporter of PortOpera.

Daring to dream that a serious actress could live in Maine and advance her career, Fritzi Jane Courtney (as she’s listed on IMDB.com) charmed directors (notably Steven Spielberg in Jaws; see “Swimming with the Sharks,” Summerguide 2012) and knew how to hit her audiences where they lived. As she told us in her low, seductive voice during a visit to our office earlier this summer, looking striking in a snappy red and black ensemble at 89, “I’d just been working on Lenny at Charles Playhouse in Boston when I got the call to audition. I was exhausted. I asked what’s it about. ‘A big fish.’ Who’s directing it? ‘Some kid.’”

Trivia question: Did you know that Fritzi used to write a column for Portland Magazine?

To hear from Fritzi what is was like to work with Joan Crawford in Poland Spring in an episode of Route 66, visit portlandmonthly.com/portmag/2012/09/cohen. How we’ll miss you, Fritzi.

Fritzi was in the cast of a 1984 unsold television pilot called "Spraggue" where she played the part of a judge. The series was about a Boston biology professor who spurns his family's wealth in favor of living simply in the carriage house of his eccentric Aunt's mansion and riding his ten-speed to work. He also, as a hobby, solves baffling crimes-- despite his Aunt's meddling. In the pilot, he's pitted against Patrick O'Neal, who is unducing heart attacks in his victims.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

SST...ANOTHER "Jaws" (Cast) question

Ramgator194August 14, 2018 04:38PM

Just found her....She was Fritzi Jane Courtney

Ramgator89August 15, 2018 02:21AM

I think her character name..

sstrams116August 15, 2018 03:16AM

She always reminded me of a Teacher I had in Elementary School.

Ramgator158August 15, 2018 03:56AM

Re: I think her character name..

MamaRAMa464August 15, 2018 04:31AM

She never worked in Hollywood again

MamaRAMa92August 15, 2018 04:39AM

So, she didn't work because of Judith Barsi?

sstrams84August 15, 2018 06:31AM