Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

we had a conversation earlier about air defense pursuit within the USA borders

August 12, 2018 12:01AM
That is, what does it mean to scramble pursuit fighters in a situation where an aircraft threatens harm. Here's a story from the last 24 hours where this actually happens.

Airline employee steals plane from Sea-Tac, does aerial tricks with F-15s in pursuit before crashing on island south of Seattle

[www.geekwire.com]

A distressed Horizon Air employee stole one of the airline’s planes from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport on Friday night and roamed through the air with F-15 fighter jets in pursuit until the plane crashed on Ketron Island, southwest of Seattle, authorities said.

Air traffic at Sea-Tac Airport was temporarily grounded due to the security threat, according to reports from Horizon Air’s parent company, Alaska Air.

In audio recordings from the air traffic control system, the man flying the plane said that he was “just a broken guy, got a few screws loose, I guess. Never really knew it, until now.”

A distressed Horizon Air employee stole one of the airline’s planes from Seattle-Tacoma International Airport on Friday night and roamed through the air with F-15 fighter jets in pursuit until the plane crashed on Ketron Island, southwest of Seattle, authorities said.

No passengers were aboard the Bombardier Q400 turboprop plane, and authorities did not immediately release information about the fate of the employee — but video from the scene showed burning debris strewn across the island.

Air traffic at Sea-Tac Airport was temporarily grounded due to the security threat, according to reports from Horizon Air’s parent company, Alaska Air.

Governor Jay Inslee@GovInslee
There are still a lot of unknowns surrounding tonight's tragic incident of a stolen Horizon Airline plane. The responding fighter pilots flew alongside the aircraft and were ready to do whatever was needed to protect us, but in the end the man flying the stolen plane crashed.

Governor Jay Inslee@GovInslee
I want to thank the Air National Guard from Washington and Oregon for scrambling jets to keep Washingtonians safe. Those pilots are trained for moments like tonight and showed they are ready and capable.

F-15 jets chased the plane

The plane was a Q400, a Bombardier turboprop plane, one of about 40 the airline has in its fleet.

Within minutes of the plane's takeoff, the military scrambled two armed F-15 jets from Oregon to follow it, according to local and airline authorities and two sources with knowledge of the situation. They pursued the aircraft before it went down on Ketron Island, between Tacoma and Olympia.

"NORAD fighters did not fire upon the aircraft," North American Aerospace Defense Command said Saturday morning in a news release. The jets' capability was appropriate to the potential task, one of the sources said, without offering details.

F-15 "pilots kept plane out of harms way and people on ground safe," the sheriff's office tweeted. The jets were not involved in the crash, it said.

The cause of the crash wasn't immediately known, but the F-15s did not bring the plane down, Eckrote said.

==

[twitter.com]

--

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2018 12:12AM by zn.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

we had a conversation earlier about air defense pursuit within the USA borders

zn191August 12, 2018 12:01AM

Hard for me to run the numbers thru my head...

JamesJM137August 12, 2018 03:44AM

Re: Hard for me to run the numbers thru my head...

zn88August 12, 2018 03:21PM

Agreed....

JamesJM96August 12, 2018 04:11PM

Re: Agreed....

zn101August 12, 2018 06:39PM