Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

yes I did, and I have read all 4

June 16, 2018 08:28AM
they are all very easy reads and I got the Paul Stanley one for Kindle for $3.00

Yes, you are right, Peter Criss did walk away from Kiss as did Ace a few years later. Both also walked away years later during
the very lucrative reunion tours. All books contradict each other in various parts about who created the KISS logo to being screwed over. Paul says Peter wanted out all the time and didn't even care about signing over the rights to use his make up -which Peter says he didn't know about.

I would rate Paul Stanley's book #3 as compared to the others. A lot of it was how he overcame a rough childhood where he was teased about his missing ear and had hearing difficulties. He does go into the band KISS, but the interesting details are not there. One thing about Paul Stanley, he kept the band together
during difficult times - after Criss and Frehley left and Gene began to have more interest in movies and dating celebrities (Cher, Diana Ross, etc.). Stanley wrote a lot of their songs and developed a lot of their marketing ideas (taking off make up, etc.) which Gene often got credit for. He kept the band in tact as the trended downward and began to go their separate ways - making albums, writing songs, etc. Stanley complains a lot about Criss in the book. Says he was a whiner all the time and a bad drummer. Criss threatened to quit the band constantly. Says Ace and Peter couldn't perform many of the songs later for the reunion tour and both (especially Peter) had to be retaught many of the songs by Tommy Thayer before they could go back out.

The best book was by Peter Criss-hand down. He included great details about life on the road with KISS including partying with a young RUSH, the hoopla around KISS in the crazy days 76-78, the crazy marketing ideas by Bill Aucoin, being threatened in the south, the drugged out KISS pilots, the chicken coup, Gene's horrible hygiene, the pyro foul ups, fighting with other bands on the road, etc. Tons of stories about Ace and he partying and being crazy. Unfortunately, both had severe drug habits which impacted their ability to perform and maintain the strict touring performing schedules demanded by the band.
They were putting out albums every year and touring constantly. That is why Gene and Paul were always upset about them. They tried to keep the band together (even the idea of the solo albums was to appease them to stay in the band- in addition to more money). Peter was in chronic pain and getting steroid shots and pain killers, while Ace wanted out partially due to KISS going down hill: The Elder and Dynasty, and movie: KISS meets the phantom of the park, marketing products, etc. He felt they were selling out.

Gene's book is the 2nd best. Tells how KISS came from nowhere to the most popular band in the world. He is very egotistical and takes credit for a lot and also talks about all his sexual exploits which gets old, but the beginning is covered nicely. Ace, although my favorite, has the worst book. Probably because he can't remember much.

I love reading rock and roll biographies. I have read several on Led Zepplin, Jim Morrison, Motley Crew, etc. Gonna start Ozzy this summer as it is the only time I have time to read. I highly recommend the Peter Criss book to any Kiss fan.

RIP Bucky - 7/25/1943 - 1/19/2013
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A very underrated KISS song

ferragamo79256June 15, 2018 03:49PM

Did you ever get around to reading Paul Stanley's book ?

IowaRam118June 15, 2018 07:29PM

I always thought they were told to leave.

Ramgator103June 16, 2018 06:13AM

yes I did, and I have read all 4

ferragamo79103June 16, 2018 08:28AM

Going to see Hairball tonight

IowaRam100June 16, 2018 01:30PM

have fun

ferragamo79159June 16, 2018 02:01PM