March 06, 2018 06:37AM
zn
I know a lot of people remember Lonesome Dove.

Did you know the character of Deets is based on a real person?

A lot of people know that Gus and Woodrow are. But Deets was too.

From the wiki:

Bose Ikard (ca. 1840s–1929) was an African American cowboy who participated in the pioneering cattle drives on what became known as the Goodnight–Loving Trail, after the American Civil War and through 1869. Aspects of his life inspired the fictional character Joshua Deets, the African-American cowboy in Larry McMurtry's novel Lonesome Dove.

Bose Ikard was born into slavery around 1847 or in 1843 in Summerville, Noxubee County, Mississippi. He lived with his master's family prior to the Civil War, becoming a ranch hand and cowboy as he grew up in Texas after the Ikards moved from Mississippi to Parker County, Texas.On the post-war cattle drives, Ikard served as a tracker and cowboy, and as Charles Goodnight's de facto banker, often carrying thousands of dollars in cash until the money could be deposited. After his last cattle drive in 1869, Ikard settled in Parker County, became a farmer, and raised a family with his wife Angeline.

After Ikard died on January 4, 1929 in Weatherford, Texas, Charles Goodnight paid for and erected a marker at Ikard's grave in Weatherford's Greenwood Cemetery with this epitaph:

Bose Ikard (1859–1928)
Served with me four years on the Goodnight-Loving Trail, never shirked duty or disobeyed an order, rode with me in many stampedes, participated in three engagements with Comanches, splendid behavior. C. GOODNIGHT

In June 1929, Goodnight was quoted by the Weatherford Daily Herald as saying about Ikard, "I have trusted him farther than any living man. He was my detective, banker, and everything else in Colorado, New Mexico, and the other wild country I was in." In the 2010 Plains Folk feature (heard on Prairie Public Radio) called The Grave of Oliver Loving, commentator Tom Isern mentions that Bose Ikard was a prototype for Deets.Tricia Wagner, writing in Black Cowboys of the Old West, states that Lonesome Dove with its three characters - Woodrow Call, Gus McCrae, and Josh Deets - "was based on the adventures of Charles Goodnight and Oliver Loving and their right-hand man, Bose Ikard" and that "Danny Glover played Bose Ikard".

The epitaph for McMurtry's character of Joshua Deets was written as follows:

Josh Deets
Served with me 30 years, Fought in 21 Engagements with the Comanche and Kiowa. Cheerful in all weathers. Never shirked a task. Splendid behavior.

The Goodnight/Loving saga was also the basis for Faulkner's brilliant novel, As I Lay Dying -- if memory serves. Arguably, one of his four greatest, along with Light in August, The Sound and the Fury, and Absalom Absalom.

(Unfortunately, I can't really make that argument, cuz those are the exact four I've read, and just those four.)

I recently rewatched the series. I think it's time for a remake. While the casting was excellent, and it may be that no one can match the leads, the overall production values . . . . well, I think they can do better with recent evolution along those lines. It was also in 4 by 3, instead of widescreen, which took a bit away from the overall enjoyment for me. Still a classic, regardless.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Lonesome Dove

zn450March 05, 2018 10:11PM

For this, thanks...

JamesJM167March 05, 2018 11:22PM

Great story

zn241March 06, 2018 04:18PM

Re: Lonesome Dove

Billy_T211March 06, 2018 06:37AM

IMO-the finest tv series ever (nm)

waterfield156March 06, 2018 07:14AM

Better than Gilligan's Island?

JamesJM241March 06, 2018 10:12AM

The Lonesome Dove mini-series franchise

MamaRAMa151March 06, 2018 12:19PM

Re: The Lonesome Dove mini-series franchise

Billy_T168March 06, 2018 01:35PM

MamaRAMa174March 06, 2018 02:30PM

Billy_T224March 08, 2018 05:01AM

most quotable series ever

zn257March 06, 2018 04:45PM

Just incredible... and help me out here....

JamesJM311March 06, 2018 04:50PM

Re: Just incredible... and help me out here....

zn331March 06, 2018 06:30PM

That type of common language stuns me, and often...

JamesJM250March 06, 2018 07:28PM

Re: Lonesome Dove

waterfield152March 06, 2018 06:41PM