Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Back many years ago...

March 01, 2018 05:26AM
I used to put out a gossip column. laughing smiley Not really.. it was a joke newspaper called "The Corner Bar Gossip Column" and I'd write up humorous stories about the goings on around Tranquillity, my home town. It got popular... it spread from town to town.

Occasionally... not often, I'd run a 'poll' in which I'd ask questions of the readers then print the results. Silly things like , "How many pair of Levis' does your husband own?"... "Who's pickup will you most likely see parked at Scott's Market when you drive by?".

In one of the polls I asked, "Who has the best 'wave'". I didn't need to explain what I meant, we all just knew.... but some readers in Fresno did not, I learned later. They don't wave at each other when passing by. I always knew that, I guess, but it was an eye opener for me.

Not that this will mean anything to you BUT... the winner of that particular question was Mike P. And he won in a landslide. Mike did the 'claw' thing.... He'd raise his whole arm with his hand turned downward like a claw.

You're right, it's somewhat dying out with the younger generation... but it isn't dead, and we do, (we meaning us older guys), even win over a few converts some time. Raul, for example... late 20's and works for my neighbor.... I don't know him well... for some time actually showed a perplexed look on his face when he would pass me by and I'd give him the 'farmers wave'... but no longer, now it's a broad smile and a farmer wave back. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Iowa is Number 1

IowaRam389February 27, 2018 07:33AM

You sure are bro!

Atlantic Ram149February 27, 2018 05:00PM

Most people don't

IowaRam110February 28, 2018 03:28PM

Florida on the other hand?????

Ramgator144February 28, 2018 03:24AM

You know you are in Iowa when to see this

IowaRam116February 28, 2018 03:29PM

not just in Iowa