Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My new favorite show -- must see TV. . .

February 17, 2018 09:44AM
In the past, we've discussed the Food Network. . . but in terms of recipes and celebrity chefs. . . and such.

I'm not sure when it began, but I've become obsessed with a "different" kind of show here. One that discusses many aspects of foods from their history to debunking or confirming myths. The show. . .

"Food: Fact of Fiction."

They bring in food historians. . . scientists. . . nutritionists and go back through ancient literature. Because, as we know, food is most important in our lives. And it plays a role in our history. . . defining cultures and peoples. Even starting wars.

From it, you'll learn things like. . . English muffins aren't really English. . . French toast or French dip really aren't French. Or, the origin of the hamburger dates back to the days of Genthis Kahn when he would pass out hunks of meat to his army. . . they would then place the meat under their saddles and it would cook with the heat. So they then could then eat without ever having to stop.

How about this. . .

The old tale that parents tell their children that carrots are good for their eyes, really originated in Britain during World War II when that idea was introduced to hide a secret invention. . . radar. Curious?

Or.

The world's first restaurant was because of the popularity of broth with hunks of chicken.

Everything you never wanted to know about food, but were too afraid to ask. . . you say? And this certainly is worthy of our collections of absolutely worthless information, although you could sound smart at a cocktail party. . . or doing your best Cliff Clavin imitation.

But seriously folks, you should check it out. . . I find it fascinating.

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My new favorite show -- must see TV. . .

RAMbeau542February 17, 2018 09:44AM

HOW can anyone care about TV........

Ramgator193February 17, 2018 10:53AM

It wasn't easy. . .

RAMbeau200February 17, 2018 11:42AM

thank you!

Atlantic Ram187February 19, 2018 01:17PM

I've actually seen that show

ferragamo79182February 19, 2018 05:45PM