Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My top 5 IPAs (and some non-IPAs as requested)

February 02, 2018 10:44AM
As the Super Bowl is around the corner I thought I would share my top 5 IPAs. (its actually top 8, but 8 is a weird number for a list)

1. Summit Brewing Co. - Saga IPA - a ST. Paul MN company that sells in 5 states. A tiny hint of fruit, very hoppy with a light color that finishes dry. IMO the truest tasting IPA that drinks all year round.

2. Bells Brewery - Two Hearted Ale - Its an IPA, not an ale. Its clean, crisp with a smoother finish. A mild IPA that I recommend anyone wanting to try an IPA that is scared of the bitterness.

3. Fat Head Brewery - Head Hunter IPA - A hoppy beer with a hint of I think grapefruit, piney overtones (or whatever, it has a piney taste) A great summer IPA.

4. Elysian Brewing Co. - Space Dust - Its weird ordering a Elysian Space Dust, but I like this one. Its a double IPA, so it has a serious bitter finish. An acquired taste for sure.

5. Auburn Ale House - Gold Digger IPA - A friend of mine (and USC football alum) brought this back from California. I wish I could have more for summer. Not too bitter with a hint of passionfruit and a crisp finish.

these are bonus IPAs:

Fargo Brewing Co. - Wood Chipper IPA - (a nod to the wood chipper in the movie Fargo) a local favorite of mine that has hints of pine and citrus.
Goose Island Brewing - Goose IPA - smooth and sweeter then most IPAs with a dry finish.
Surly Brewing Co - Furious - Furious is ultra hoppy with a bit of a smoky hint and a malty finish. A Minnesota local, and this group of guys are really getting after it.

I was asked to do a non-IPA list. My wife tried an IPA last summer at the lake, and said and I quote: "If they were going for skunky budweiser, they nailed it."
So I get why people don't like IPAs. I don't like dark beers.

Here is a list of non-IPAs:

I won't do an order, but I will put the style. If you like Stouts, Brown Ales,

Sam Adams - Sam '76 - - Ale & Lager - you might have seen ads for this beer just recently, but it has been out for a year already. combines an Ale and a Lager. Its flavorful yet crisp. Its really the best of both worlds. And I'm usually not a fan of commercial beer.

Lagunitas - Pils - Pisner - Light and smooth. An easy drinking beer with very good flavor. Its like a pumped up version of Miller Lite.

Kona Brewing Co - Big Wave Ale - American Blond Ale - Do yourself a favor and go find something from Kona and give it a try. I like most of their stuff. I have a limited selection in North Dakota. The Big Wave is a really smooth, drinkable beer with a hint of fruit and hops. Perfect summer beer you can drink all day. Think of baseball games, picnics, beach or lake outings, a round of golf.

Leinenkugel Brewing Company - Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy - Fruit beer - I love drinking this on the golf course. Its like a combo of lemonade and a golden ale. Light and fruity.

Coors brewing Co. - Blue Moon Belgian White - Witbier - Has a bit of a wheat taste with a hint of orange. its a go too summer beer.

Dark Horse Brewing Company - Rain In Blood Orange Pale Ale - American Pale Ale - I know, a sister to an IPA, but just like the original Dilly Dilly Commercial, I am really into blood orange drinks lately (blood orange sour mix and Bulleit bourbon is awesome year round btw) its a lighter pale ale with hints of blood orange. Good luck finding it.

Sierra Nevada brewing Co. - anything - all varieties - Go find a variety you would like to try and find that version made by Sierra Nevada. You probably won't be disappointed.

Sam Adams - Winter Lager - Bock - I enjoy a winter lager because its a beer that kind of warms you. Caramel hints maybe some cinnamon. For a bock, its smooth with an easy finish. And of course like most winter lagers, seasonal.

I think that covers it all. Right now I am working on Alaska Brewing Co - Husky IPA (mosaic IPA) Its a smoother IPA (maybe due to it being a mosaic? IDK) but its got a floral taste and it isn't piney and not much of a traditional dry finish. Its a good winter IPA and a good starter IPA (along with Bell's two Hearted)

Don't waste your time looking back, you're not going that way. - Ragnar Lothbrok
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My top 5 IPAs (and some non-IPAs as requested)

Deadpool360February 02, 2018 10:44AM

Me and your wife...

JamesJM150February 02, 2018 10:59AM

Re: My top 5 IPAs (and some non-IPAs as requested)

HighPlainsDrifter133February 03, 2018 05:08AM

Where does that distinctive taste in IPA's come from? And Liqueurs...

JamesJM128February 03, 2018 05:29AM

Type of hops might be of some significance.......

HighPlainsDrifter125February 03, 2018 05:34AM

Not a fan of IPAs, but a big fan of BEER!

ferragamo79141February 03, 2018 10:06AM

I'm in the same boat

Deadpool139February 04, 2018 08:27AM

Spacedust and Goose IPA

Drew2839155February 04, 2018 12:33PM