Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

We went cable-less about 6 months ago

December 31, 2017 12:33PM
and it took about a week to get used to it. My set up is a bit unconventional in that I still have access to cableTV (more on that later). I have a Roku and AppleTV.... we never use the appleTV.

We started out with Amazon Prime and Netflix. We use Netflix 95% of the time. I do have the NFL network but its not a constant streaming show, its like segments or something... its ok but even as a football fan I rarely watch it.... except for the games because I have gamepass ($99/year). I also never watch espn, or any other sports channels, so I don't know what the deal is with that. We had Hulu but never watched it. But its not very expensive if you find something you like on it.

So here's the unconventional part... When I called Comcast before we made the switch, I told them I just wanted the internet... so the lady tells me I can get a very fast (performance or something) with tv plus HBO for less than the internet itself ($49.95). So I do this but its because I can get some channels I like through the Roku, like A&E for the Walking Dead. You can stream A&E and other channels through the Roku IF you have a service provider and your plan has the channel in it. So we can get a few channels off the Roku that would not normally be available to us but we rarely do that either.

We did have SlingTV, which was pretty good. It has a cloud dvr and some OK channels but its $30 a month and we deemed it not worth it over basic cable but its not bad and it does have the NFL channel on it.... and probably ESPN...

A few days ago we finally unpacked the cable box and hooked it up. So now we have basic cable. We watch it about as much as we would watch SlingTV.... but since I have the comcast deal... its essentially free. As far as I can tell we all prefer netflix... which is now $11 bucks a month.

I am going to drop Amazon prime because we almost never watch it.

Good luck.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

cable TV/subscriptions advice

LMU93355December 28, 2017 09:58AM

We went cable-less about 6 months ago

Atlantic Ram177December 31, 2017 12:33PM

Re: We went cable-less about 6 months ago

NorCalRamFan170January 03, 2018 04:59AM

Good one....

Arkansas Ram151January 12, 2018 06:11AM

You get phone/cable and internet

ferragamo79157January 03, 2018 09:15AM