Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Grandson football, should be happy, no?

November 21, 2017 08:32AM
Well... it is, but right now it's being overshadowed by anxiety, fear, horror... this is a nightmare.

Before giving me the 'answer' to what I'm about to tell you try to understand that I 'know' the answer.

High School Varsity began on a great note: My sophomore grandson made the varsity team. Then it got better... having been a QB his entire life our Varsity didn't need a QB... we have a Div I headed QB. So my grandson moved to WR, backing up our QB but actually only in 'name'... he rarely practiced at QB... threw little. This last Friday during warmups for our first playoff game he didn't warm up throwing at all, not a single pass. Keep that in mind during the next paragraph. My grandson worked hard at WR, and by game two was made a starter... never looked back... and had a great year... 2nd on our team for yards received and also 2nd in our league in yards receiving. Great year, right?

This Friday past - 1st playoff game. Our starting QB goes down in the 3rd quarter. Gavin has to come in. We are in the lead... but not for long. He begins with a good drive, all running plays, down to their 30.... then a low snap, which he manages to field, but the heat is on... he tries to pass and fumbles. They recover, drive for a score. Next series... good couple runs, then two penalties in a row leave us 3rd and very long... the coach calls a pass, (gotta give him credit for courage).... it's intercepted... and it leads to a score for our opponent... now they lead.

Our starting QB comes back in the game... never throws another pass, (it's his shoulder)... but we regain the lead... and win the game with mere seconds to go in the game.

After the game...my grandson is unconsolable. He figures he nearly cost his team the game. A couple teammates take him to Carl Jr's after the game... did the right thing... told him there were plenty of mistakes to go around..... it helps, but not a lot.

Now the wait... how is our starting QB? Not good, is the word... and an MRI is scheduled, for Monday afternoon. During film review on Sunday the coach makes the announcement: "Gavin is starting the game". Gavin comes home... and again, he's unconsolable. Sunday night my nephew, (ex coach, and good one), comes to the house... they began watching tape. What happened? How to prevent it. Then our upcoming opponent... what D do they run? The session goes into the wee hours.

Some of you are probably thinking, "he's got to toughen up"... and that's true. But he's a sophomore, never having practiced at QB this year. He's 15.

Monday - Gavin takes his first full practice at QB this year.

Monday afternoon... the entire team is connected... either in person or on chat/text... what is the result of the MRI?... late Monday afternoon the result is in... it's a sprain, but a bad one causing a lot of pain. He can play... he can't throw. Now what?

Our starting Qb made his bones via the run, not passing, it's not his strength... but he has a very strong arm and he can get hot passing. I think his shoulder has perhaps been bothering him for a while. What to do?

Well, they're deciding... put him in the slot? Run him from there? Put him back at QB and try to pound it out for 4 Qtr's? As of now it's the first option they are considering as the best move. meaning, of course, Gavin gets the start.

Monday night.. back at watching tape... but this time some teammates, three coaches, (not Varsity coaches, that's illegal), and again.. into the wee hours.

So there it is... great beginning to a great season... and now we face the favorite... #1 ranked team in our division.... semi-final game... and Gavin, 15, a sophomore, having played WR all year and not having practiced regularly at QB since preseason...., (and very little then)... is under center for the biggest game our Varsity has faced perhaps in their history.

Does he have support? Yes, for the most part. As you would expect... there is negativity... NOT directly toward Gavin... just these type of comments, "It's over. We have no chance".

Gavin is trying to stay focused... this morning he woke up and instantly started watching game film... he has to do this, if he stops... watching film that is, and practicing, the pressure seeps in... in Gavin's world, right now, the fate of the world is in his hands.

And me, his parents, his grandma, his cousins, his family... feeling it perhaps more than he is. Lots of hugs, lots of understanding, lots of 'it's a game, no matter what happens it changes nothing'.... all of which he accepts, understands... at an intelligent level..... but emotionally? From teammate to team leader in a fraction of a second... in the biggest year Kerman's Varsity has ever played.

Am I looking forward to the game? Welllll, yes. I can see the bigger picture. But also... no... and I'm sorry to say... this Friday's game won't be 'fun' for me. It won't be depressing, should the worst happen... other than, of course, consoling my grandson. I just want Gavin to be happy... to not allow him to think his life depends on this, which would be ridiculous... but to a 15yr old?

Gavin's predicament I can understand, I can put into perspective, it's only a game. My predicament, trying to be there for Gavin who is facing such pressure, I am struggling with. - JamesJM

P.S. Those of you with kids, grandkids... will get this, easily... others not quite as easily... right now the Rams aren't much on my mind.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2017 10:46AM by JamesJM.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Grandson football, should be happy, no?

JamesJM705November 21, 2017 08:32AM

not that I've ever been through it......

21Dog257November 21, 2017 08:44AM

Its a tough spot to be in but.....

GreatRamNTheSky233November 21, 2017 09:50AM

Thank you, GRITS. (nm)

JamesJM230November 21, 2017 09:51AM

Yet more bad news...

JamesJM233November 21, 2017 11:35AM

Its all good....

sstrams239November 21, 2017 11:46AM

hehe, thanks, Steve....

JamesJM232November 21, 2017 12:05PM

Re: Grandson football, should be happy, no?

Barf33249November 21, 2017 01:36PM

Kick Golden West Butt!

Firecap254November 21, 2017 02:52PM

Re: Grandson football, should be happy, no?

RamsFanFromRio252November 22, 2017 01:16AM

There are life lessons here...

jemach243November 22, 2017 04:05AM

Re: We are proud of you Gavin, Do your best

BumRap227November 22, 2017 05:42PM

Proud of you bro

LompocRAM237November 22, 2017 06:59PM