Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Black and White movies.. most of you know...

August 29, 2017 03:51PM
and anyone who went on the Universal City Studio tours in the early days surely knows....

color selection for Black and White films was an 'art'. For example... Alfred Hitchcock used Hershey's chocolate syrup for 'blood'.

Just read another interesting one on IMDB today... Superman, (original series and the first two season when it was Black and White)..wore brown for red, gray for blue and white for yellow costume.

Moral imperative rant: I HATE when they colorize Black and White movies... I refuse to watch them after they are butchered in that way.

Continuing with rants: I HATE grainy film. Also - I remember moaning once on this board about them changing the color scheme in the Harry Potter movies until by the last movie it was nearly void of color. So ok... I 'get' it... and have seen it used brilliantly... good example: "Oh Brother Where Art Thou?"... which IMHO captured the era wonderfully by the subdued filters they used. Didn't work in Harry Potter, for me anyway... came off as very contrived. If I remember correctly zn liked it... which, of course, makes me right.

Handheld camera work (you know, hurky jerky motion)... annoying, BUT... and again.. it has it's place. It's just overused.

Any peeves about modern day, or vintage day, motion picture making that bugs you? - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Black and White movies.. most of you know...

JamesJM286August 29, 2017 03:51PM