Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: How long do you stay down?

August 10, 2017 06:46AM
Well, Jimmy, the length of the dive it depends upon your actual depth.. the deeper you go, the shorter the dive for two reasons:
1.) the deeper you dive, the faster you consume air, because the deeper you dive the more compressed the air is, so a full breath at 90 feet is actually more air than a full breath at 30 feet.. so, you use up your air faster at depth..
2.) the deeper you dive, the less time you can stay down for decompression reasons.. at 30 feet, I could say down until I ran out of air, but at 130 feet, I could only stay down, something like, 10 minutes before I'd have to make multiple decompression safety stops o the way up - sorry, been using a computer too long and don't know the actual time..

So, on a dive to 60-70 feet, like in the video, we normally will stay down about an hour, then do a 3 minute safety stop and come up with 600-700psi of air left in the tank..

Normally, in Belize, we'd do 3 dives per day: an 8:15am followed by at 10:30am, then a 2:30pm.. Sometimes they'll throw in an 8pm night dive..

On a clear, calm, sunny day, I've had great visibility at 130 feet.. Sunlight penetrates a long ways down - waterfield can probably chime in on that as I think he's free dived deeper than I've gone.. as long as stuff isn't stirred up and the sun is out, you get great visibility as deep as you can go, as a recreational diver.. Like I said, tho, our last 4 trips have been total rain and overcast.. rain and wind stirs up the water - you can see particles in my last shark vid.. that screws up the visibility and rain/clouds make the vids dark and gloomy - and grainy, cuz the camera jacks the ISO up to compensate...

Friendship is like peeing your pants.. Everybody can see it, but only you can feel the warmth..

SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Close Encounters.. of the Moray Kind..

sstrams312August 10, 2017 04:22AM

You get any closer and...

JamesJM148August 10, 2017 05:27AM

I know it, right?

sstrams167August 10, 2017 06:09AM

How long do you stay down?

JamesJM155August 10, 2017 06:15AM

Re: How long do you stay down?

sstrams173August 10, 2017 06:46AM