Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Basically, 1989 for the Web. Late 1960s for the Internet.

August 06, 2017 11:24AM
JamesJM
Read that on Twitter today. That doesn't seem long enough to me. Well... it's not the "internet" that's 26... 26 years ago is when the very first website went up.

I didn't read the whole Twitter so I don't know what the first website was, or who put it up.... but then, pretty much had to be regarding Kim Kardashian don't you think?

Tracing the origin date of stuff can be pretty tricky, as you know. One scholar can place X at 30 years ago. Another will come along and push the date back further. Still another will say, "Well, we have evidence that the ancient Sumerians had networks 5,000 ago," and so on. cool smiley But, generally speaking, the Internet and the WWW have fairly accepted beginnings. The latter, which is what we think of as the Web, was invented by Tim Berners-Lee and a huge number of coworkers back in 1989.

[en.wikipedia.org]

The Internet goes back further, usually with ARPANET in the late 1960s.

[en.wikipedia.org]

I started Internet tech support in 1997, roughly 8 years after the Web came online, and 30 years after the Internet began, give or take. Both innovations came about because of public sector R and D (here and overseas), and centuries of mathematical genius, also in the Public Domain.

P.S. I lot of people forget that the original purpose was communications for the military and public colleges and universities. It was initially envisioned as a way to exchange public research. No one was really thinking of Amazon back then. It was more, like, "How can we bring in diverse and far flung minds to work on the Human Genome Project," etc. etc.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2017 11:32AM by Billy_T.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

The Internet is only 26 yrs old?

JamesJM320August 06, 2017 08:30AM

Basically, 1989 for the Web. Late 1960s for the Internet.

Billy_T145August 06, 2017 11:24AM