Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DirecTV, my cynical side...

July 11, 2017 09:12AM
But first note: This isn't a diatribe against DirecTV only... I think this is pretty much corporate policy spanning the gamut... to varying degrees.

When I dropped DirecTV I had to return my receiver, (or whatever you call it). Perfectly legit.. so far.

They send me a pre labeled box. In the instructions it told me how to package my unit for return and the most important step was to make sure the serial number on their label matched the serial number on my unit. It did not. So I called them.

They looked up my actual serial number, confirmed it, then promised to send me another label. They did not. I called again... and once again never received the proper label.

It has now been over a month so, as I'm sure you have guessed, they are billing me for the receiver. $194.

Another call: This time I'm told to make a note to put into the box, mentioning the mismatched serial number, and send it in with the wrong label. I would be credited. I have done so.

All of that is understandable. But here's where I get cynical. Did they have any intention of sending me the right label in the first place? A mistake I get.. the first box and label. Two failures to send me a correct label makes me suspicious.

Now I wait... it's going out today.. it will take a while. Without question I'm going to receive threats about the $194... I do not expect that DirecTV receiving my old receiver will stop that... soon, anyway, but how about ever?

Should be interesting. I have to admit that I'm curious as to their next move. If they refuse the old unit serial number, which I'm 50/50 in thinking they might... I'm pondering my next move:

Bill them $194 for my receiver that they did not credit me for? Better idea?

Additional note: On the first call to DirecTV after receiving the wrong label I asked the young lady, (she sounded young to me), about all the numbers on the receiver... SN# but other numbers as well... she got a little flustered. I was put on hold a few times as she sought answers from her manager. Eventually she paused for a short moment and told me, "Jimmy, I'm sorry. I just started working here yesterday and I don't know the answers to your questions". I instantly liked her. After that admission we had a very nice, cordial, conversation.. at which time we discussed the weather, California, and I expressed, (while laughing), my cynicism that this would be resolved soon, if ever. At the end of our conversation I thanked her... said I was preparing for the battle ahead, (this was all VERY cordial), and she signed off with, "Good luck, Jimmy".. while laughing. GREAT rep DirecTV has there. laughing smiley
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

DirecTV, my cynical side...

JamesJM366July 11, 2017 09:12AM