Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: A very, very, very nitpicky post. Sayings, Adages, etc.

July 10, 2017 06:39PM
JamesJM
There is no good reason under the sun for the following to have caught my attention, much less somewhat irked me. The following adage I should have simply taken as is.... I 'got' the intent.

"Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon".

Not a thing wrong with that, is there? You know exactly what was meant by the person who wrote it, so do I. And it makes sense. But no, I couldn't just read it and go on with my life... I had to get anal about it.

That adage, IMHO, is a misinterpretation of the the original adage "The sky's the limit"... so the addendum, "when there are footprints on the moon" is redundant. No?

OR.. is the meaning better expressed WITH the addendum? I can kind of see that actually.

Just back from a weekend jaunt to Oregon.... 600 miles to Portland, Or. Then home. In three days. I drove every mile of it. I'm exhausted. I'm punch drunk... so this is what happens... I rave like a lunatic for a day or so. You have been warned. - JamesJM

Well I think you're right, though, maybe the person who re-wrote it meant to say "yes everything is possible" (sky's the limit) "but even MORE so" (the moon).

Like---to infinity, and beyond!
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

A very, very, very nitpicky post. Sayings, Adages, etc.

JamesJM373July 10, 2017 08:29AM

old adages

21Dog130July 10, 2017 08:58AM

You're not wrong...

JamesJM158July 10, 2017 09:07AM

Re: A very, very, very nitpicky post. Sayings, Adages, etc.

zn148July 10, 2017 06:39PM