Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ok, good point... gotta mention this about GPS...

June 21, 2017 11:30AM
Both Google AND Apple can drive you up the wall as far as GPS.. taking you the most nonsensical routes you can imagine if you let them. Annoying - BOTH are VERY slow to 'reroute' when you know a quicker way and take it - - example - this weekend I was taking an alternate route than the one I had programmed in using Apple Maps and I was 20 FRIGGIN' MILES closer on my alternate route before Apple Maps decided to give in and accept my chosen route.

Another thing: I'm a homing pigeon. I have an innate sense of direction, even in places I've never been. I RARELY need GPS, actually 'need' it I mean... even though I use it. House Numbers yes, for that I need GPS.. but to a city? No.

BTW.. on my motorcycle trip around the USA, the one where I missed you... I had GPS on my bike, piped into my helmet headset. I turned it on ONCE in the 5,000 miles PLUS I rode on that trip. And that was because I was sick of my playlist and wanted to hear the sexy women's voice giving me directions. OH, reminds me of a 'story'... I'll add it at the end.

I did make a GPS discovery this weekend that everyone else in the civilized world has known about smartphone GPS since it was invented... while 'in route' I wanted to stop for lunch. I found that WHILE IN ROUTE you can ask for a restaurant and it will route your there, allow for time, and then get you right back on route without all the "TURN AROUND IDIOT, NOW YOU IDIOT, HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND".

Ok... the 'story' I remembered. I can't remember how this was set up so forgive me the lack of tech knowledge... on another around the USA trip, (not the one when I traveled through Texas)... I bought a service to get 'traffic updates, weather conditions, etc'. It was billed by 'data', I think, NOT time. So anyway... on that trip I think it only broke into my headset ONCE, with an update on traffic conditions.

Got home, forgot about it. TWO YEARS LATER I was on my bike riding in the Oakland, Ca. area... with some family members also on motorcycles, when a voice suddenly came over my headset telling me there was a traffic jam ahead and I should take an alternate route. I had completely FORGOTTEN about that service. All I knew is a voice from the heavens was suddenly telling me which way to go. Took me an hour or so to figure it out.
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

My Twitter Account was hacked...

JamesJM464June 21, 2017 05:25AM

Really?

sstrams207June 21, 2017 06:04AM

It does seem strange, doesn't it?

JamesJM219June 21, 2017 06:14AM

Yeah, I don't know jack..

sstrams207June 21, 2017 07:01AM

Here's why I like smartphones...

JamesJM189June 21, 2017 10:52AM

Why I would get one and why I wouldn't..

sstrams188June 21, 2017 11:09AM

Ok, good point... gotta mention this about GPS...

JamesJM171June 21, 2017 11:30AM

GPS will someday make me lose it...

sstrams197June 22, 2017 03:03AM

strange, yes but.......

21Dog203June 21, 2017 07:38AM

It would have been robo-hacked

RamUK248June 21, 2017 05:07PM

hehe, that would have done it...

JamesJM181June 21, 2017 05:14PM