March 07, 2017 10:37AM
You brilliant internet searchers can hopefully come to my rescue. Some years ago, many, I came across a video of a guy who told a story about setting the 'coasting' world record. A ghost of that memory seems to tell me he was a recording artist but I'm not really sure about that.

Some of this won't be accurately remembered... but I'll try to get the gist of it correct. This guy was visiting a friend, older friend, on his ranch and they were in the old man's pickup. Returning back to the homestead they had to go down a final hill.... at which time the old man shifted out of gear and into neutral. They younger guy, (the one telling the story), asked why and the old man replied, "Going for the world record coasting distance".... IOW... in neutral they'd coast down the hill and see how far they could make it when they reached the bottom of the hill. He had some type of 'mark' set up for the current world record.

The guy who told this story told it brilliantly... describing how at first he thought the old man was a bit odd but somewhere along the 'coast' he got into it and by the time they were nearing the world record mark the attempt to set the coasting world record had surpassed the achievement of winning the Indy 500.

LOVE to see that video again... I'm sure I came across it on the internet but LONG ago... maybe Youtube, I'm not sure. If you any of you heard this story can give me a 'clue' where to find it I'd very much appreciate it. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Wrote about this long ago... country life... and I need help...

JamesJM449March 07, 2017 10:37AM