Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Pitch Count

October 07, 2016 06:43AM
sacram
Syndergaard was at 108 pitches. Its debatable if he should've came out to pitch the 8th, but I probably would've kept him in for 1 more inning if he was up to it. And Reed pitched the 8th before Familia came in to pitch in the 9th.

Its kind of funny, but Buc Showalter got hammered for NOT bringing in his closer before losing in extra innings...I think that Collins pitching Familia in the 9th would've happened regardless of whoever pitched the 8th, and I think that is the right decision.

I think the Mets biggest problem wasn't pulling Syndergaard, but rather the lineup that they ran out there against Bumgarner. It was very weak. It should be interesting to see how the Giants staff does against the much more formidable lineup in the Cubs.

I can see that. I get the pitch count argument, and Bochy uses that too. In fact, this season, he's probably gone to the bullpen too early as well, and the Giants haven't been so good in that department . . . . But it seems like he trusts Bumgarner -- and only him -- to hang in there for nine.

I'm getting really old, because I can remember the norm being: Starters go until they're getting their butts kicked. Then they're pulled.

But your argument is solid and it's the way the game is played now. Which, to me, makes it all the more amazing when great hitters consistently get the job done. They're facing guys who come in for just one player. Some teams -- including the Giants -- don't even plan to keep their relievers in there for an entire inning.

Sheesh.

An aside: I think without the tremendous gains in training -- fitness, weight, diet, medical, video, etc. etc. -- there is no way hitters could keep up with that. If the opposing team has the firepower, they can send in guys smoking high 90s every inning. A few go over 100. How do you hit that, effectively? It's kinda amazing.

Yep, the Giants now face perhaps the best team in baseball. On paper, they can't win this. But it's an even year, so, who knows? I'll definitely be watching tonight.

Hope all is well --
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Giants versus Mets: Going to the bullpen too soon.

Billy_T591October 07, 2016 04:28AM

Pitch Count

sacram406October 07, 2016 05:46AM

Billy_T403October 07, 2016 06:43AM

waterfield424October 07, 2016 07:19AM

Billy_T302October 08, 2016 04:39AM

Yep its definitely different...

sacram402October 08, 2016 08:31AM