Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reading about Hard Knocks... and the cussing....

August 17, 2016 07:03AM
Very few people on this earth are more adept at cursing than I am. There are some, however, who make me look like a novice.

And I'm old school... I don't curse around women, never have... but among my male friends it's simply 'how we communicate'.

That's what makes this next interesting, to me anyway:

When my friend and I visited Charlie the other day, (another thread), on the drive to Chowchilla I used the "EF" word and before I finished my sentence it occurred to me that I hadn't done that in a very long time. That realization stunned me. Shocked me... so much so that I could barely concentrate on anything my friend, riding with me, said during the rest of the trip. As I pondered this I realized that I don't really curse much PERIOD these days. Not even mundane 'bad language' like 'ass'... only rarely when I want to make my grandsons crack up. HOW HAD THIS HAPPENED, WHY? I certainly didn't plan it this way, or make some solemn vow to stop cussing.

And another thing... when I used the "EF" word with my friend it felt 'awkward' to me. ????????? It was like using the word "malapropism' during a conversation with friends while drinking beer and watching professional wrestling.. it felt 'out of place'. How in the HELL had I come to this? That word had been, most of my life, as natural as muttering "uhhh" while formulating your next sentence.

Of course, the answer came to me quickly... the only surprise is how it snuck up on me without me noticing. Like I said, I'm old school. So at home, around my grandkids, I don't curse... with the occasional exception... but 'never' badly. And these days, retired, I'm around only my family 99% of the time..... the gift of 'cursing' I had neglected.. it had fallen into disuse, I was no longer erudite in foul language... kind of like forgetting a 'second language'.

Ok, gotta run now.... HomeDepot's delivery guy is here to put in my new clothes dryer and I have to show him how to do it. Sheesh, today's youth have be told how to use a dolly... pitiful generation. - JamesJM
SubjectAuthorViewsPosted

Reading about Hard Knocks... and the cussing....

JamesJM817August 17, 2016 07:03AM

I like to think of myself..

sstrams597August 17, 2016 07:48AM

I don't know, you ask good questions...

JamesJM510August 17, 2016 08:07AM

Re: Reading about Hard Knocks... and the cussing....

waterfield507August 17, 2016 09:33AM

Re: Reading about Hard Knocks... and the cussing....

waterfield499August 17, 2016 09:38AM

True dat....

sstrams509August 17, 2016 09:59AM

That's true, but I still don't. (nm)

JamesJM498August 17, 2016 10:04AM

I forgot to mention..

sstrams509August 17, 2016 02:44PM

There is nothing wrong with the F-bomb

waterfield527August 17, 2016 04:45PM

Trying not to imagine..

sstrams479August 17, 2016 05:00PM